[INFJ] - Different "flavors" of INFJs: How the enneagram differences manifest in personality | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Different "flavors" of INFJs: How the enneagram differences manifest in personality

is there ever really a time that isn't stressful? ;)

j/k I agree. I think if I could test under perfect circumstances I would probably get a 9ish result. I am not complex. ;) I'm no puzzle at all. ;)

That would make sense. I've heard a lot of 9's show a preference for simplicity. However that's not something to type by. It's what motivates them to seek simplicity that's important. Too much complexity interferes with a 9's balance and sense of inner peace which is why many of them don't prefer it.

Complexity is something very typical of what 5's and 5-fixers want and express about themselves as well. They have a restless vibe to them and that's the connection to the 7 under stress. I don't think a 5 can leave questions unanswered.

Yup. I only rationalized those which relate to myself most at this point in my life. I'm expecting several more stages of cultivation as I go through my life's term.
:) Ooops. I was reading with my left eye and keeping the right one on the kids. I seriously need a holiday....
Way too hectic. ... :becky:
I've just always kind of used my memory of what was my core motivation when I was very young to figure out my enneagram. I think I was more easily recognizable with my "fourness" back then.

It really just adds fuel to my long-held belief that I'm just an ENxP with severe depression.

I thought this for years.

It seemed like a lot of people thought so too. But there were some really perceptive people who challenged me on it. I wish I had listened to them.

I'm reasonably sure I'm INFJ now, but I have no idea what my Enneatype is.

Seems like either 4 or 6, but neither fits just right.

I've taken loads of tests and read up on it, but still no closure.

I don't feel as tortured or defective as 4's seem to. (Seems to me that everyone else is defective! ;) )
I don't think I'm as conservative as a 6. Definitely not a "joiner" or loyal to any group.

I'm just a guy who's really sensitive and likes solitude, but hides the sensitivity and tries to be sociable in order to function in the world.
I care about people and I'm very interested in them (from a distance, at least--i.e. analyzing relationships, people-watching, psychology, typology, etc.).
I love good conversation, and sometimes I long to have deep friendships.
But, for the most part, people get on my nerves and I tend to avoid them.
If I could, I would just have one special person in my life and have almost no interaction with anyone else.

Is there an Enneatype like that? (Or is that just a personality disorder???lol.)

Last edited:
When I tested, I was a 2w1.

I guess that is pretty correct and maybe that is why I seem to enjoy the ESFJ's so much (they are fun to be around, always cutting up and laughing and joking - we, the INFJs, are much to serious all the time...we take ourselves too seriously with all this touchy-feely, deep, complex "I can read your soul" stuff...we need to relax and laugh more and read souls less : - ) and quite being anxious over everything (which I used to do too until my PTSD - I guess it ended up being a blessing in disguise!).

The one thing I cannot relate to, at all, among the INFJs (and I am a solid INFJ) is the melancholy thing....somewhere along the INFJ line, I did not pick that up, I guess.

Reactions: Jana
The one thing I cannot relate to, at all, among the INFJs (and I am a solid INFJ) is the melancholy thing....somewhere along the INFJ line, I did not pick that up, I guess.

Hm, maybe you developed in balance way. I would say I am optimistic and I lik having fun, but I picked rather fine amount od melachony ocasionally...
Btwm what is PTSD, not native English speaker.

Hm, maybe you developed in balance way. I would say I am optimistic and I lik having fun, but I picked rather fine amount od melachony ocasionally...
Btwm what is PTSD, not native English speaker.

PTSD is an acronym that stands for "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" and it is the psychological/emotional/mental trauma that results from the experience of an extremely traumatic situation.

It is like getting in a severe wreck but, instead of the injuries being on the outside where everyone can see them, they are on the inside and can be just as crippling or debilitating (if not more) than a physical injury. The good news is that, like a physical injury, this heals too over time too (to a greater extent, though some scares may always remain).

Reactions: Jana
I've noticed that INFJ 9s have a really soft and calming vibe.
That's definitely me, the 9 description fits me really well. I'm a very level and emotionally stable person, which helps with being calming I think.

1w2 - They have a very soft people-oriented interior but a crusty exterior. The core of the 1: Perfectionism and Idealism is the ideal companion for the dominant Ni which allows them to uncover vast amounts of insight developed over years and put it into humanitarian action, or drive others to action through. The 2 correlates nicely with the Fe as well and therefore what we have is a natural social reformer INFJ. I see Ghandhi as a 1w2 INFJ.
Type frequency: Uncommon

This is basically me. Although us perfectionist INFJs/1 types tend to put on our prettiest face in public, so no crusty exterior for us! XD
I wouldn't think INFJ 1w2s to be too uncommon; like you said, 1w2s tend to be activists and many activists (MLK, Nelson Mandela, etc.) are INFJS.

Reactions: kirishai
I'm 4w3, but not 100% sure I'm INFJ.
The other person I knew who typed as INFJ was a 2
I find myself much more assertive and outspoken than he was.
He would take the path of least resistance and not stick up for himself.

I'm an infj (and for sure on that). I'm 2w1 sx/so ... I think for me, the trouble is I connect very deeply and "help" people's spirit (and I use to be not as healthy and would end up with imbalanced relationships by helping people grow healthier). Now I encourage as an adult and have been in that healthy state for nearly 10 yrs. I'm not a counselor but very well should have been one. I pick up patterns easily and can figure out 'most' average people easily. I analyze in my head all the time and always think of "why" and put pieces together. I've grown to mature and learn how to separate intense feelings and intuition. I definitely have Fe but this doesn't negate my personal feelings. Though my Ti is slow .. I tend to consume information (like some collecting phase) and then I draw conclusions after analyzing the shit out of it. In the last few years, I've really put the scalpel to myself though. It appears I've no problem understanding others in comparison to myself. :(

I'm 4w3, but not 100% sure I'm INFJ.
The other person I knew who typed as INFJ was a 2
I find myself much more assertive and outspoken than he was.
He would take the path of least resistance and not stick up for himself.

Once again, so very unlike myself. I hope you realize that many enneagram types take the path of least resistance. I'm also intrigued you keep comparing yourself. If you aren't 100% sure on the infj, have you considered enfp ? For some reason I'm getting an enfp vibe from the posts I've read so far (more than the 2). It's not a bad thing. :) just the "enfp" feeling I get.

When I tested, I was a 2w1.

I guess that is pretty correct and maybe that is why I seem to enjoy the ESFJ's so much (they are fun to be around, always cutting up and laughing and joking - we, the INFJs, are much to serious all the time...we take ourselves too seriously with all this touchy-feely, deep, complex "I can read your soul" stuff...we need to relax and laugh more and read souls less : - ) and quite being anxious over everything (which I used to do too until my PTSD - I guess it ended up being a blessing in disguise!).

You don't get melancholy because you're a 2 :)

We're an optimistic enthusiastic type. My best friend is a 4. We laugh because here she is forcing herself to see the silver linings. And here I am, forcing myself to hang onto bad feelings enough to feel through them. Usually I have the tendency to analyze why I have the bad feelings and problem solve or find silver linings and move on. The whole role switch is ironic! Lol!

Reactions: kirishai
For MBTI type there's enough uncertainty that I can't nail it down.

Enneagram though, I am very much a 1w2.

Once again, so very unlike myself. I hope you realize that many enneagram types take the path of least resistance. I'm also intrigued you keep comparing yourself. If you aren't 100% sure on the infj, have you considered enfp ? For some reason I'm getting an enfp vibe from the posts I've read so far (more than the 2). It's not a bad thing. :) just the "enfp" feeling I get.

Yes, I have considered ENFP, I know a real one and he is so much more extroverted than I am. I tend to wallow in my own self pity to much to be E. I cultivated an extrovert front so that I could perform, but I don't have the wide circle of friends and carefree attitude real ENFPs have unfortunately.

Yes, I have considered ENFP, I know a real one and he is so much more extroverted than I am. I tend to wallow in my own self pity to much to be E. I cultivated an extrovert front so that I could perform, but I don't have the wide circle of friends and carefree attitude real ENFPs have unfortunately.

Well being a E2, I'm learning to understand that it's okay to have self pity (at times. in moderation). It's okay to feel. So know I'm not scolding or judging or anything like that. :)

But this comment makes me think ENFP all the more. Fi is indicative here, although, this is not for sure by one instance. No one can hardly type anyone from a blip of interaction. The introversion you feel ... Quickly, notice you compared yourself to another enfp you know. This is core 4. My best friend is a four. Please stop that. Focus on you. And your awesome qualities. Not comparing and focusing that your not as extroverted. It isn't conducive towards strengthening your weaknesses if you fixate them from that angle. (In my opinion. I could be wrong). Try instead to focus on the positive as a foundation to have courage to address out weaknesses more objectively/proactively. However with that said, I understand not everyone grows the same and needs vary. I suppose it's my natural inclination to feel bad when I see someone with such an opposing position. It confuses me maybe. Idk. Lol! Anyways, circling back to the point of your deeper introversion than the other enfp you know, know that enfp's have a very strong introverted side. They burn themselves out similarly as an introvert despite the energized feedback they get from interacting with people. I've also noticed, then in periods of depression, self reflection, introspection, trying to figure out shit, the enfp will introvert more so. Which is slightly counterintuitive. Again, just my opinion from the outsider looking in. Because if you can set aside the propensity you have to see from the negative angle for long enough, you can bring in fresh blood (new perspective), new people (extroverted activities) into your life. And spin the wheels in a healthy forward motion. As opposed to idle ... Like when the bicycle chain slips, and your peddling fast but the wheels are spinning with no traction. Know what I mean?

Enfp's need people to recharge. You also need time like any human to introspect. However, try not to let the latter swallow the former :) now ... If not enfp, you could consider infp. Also, all if this is just speculation from several posts I've read. Infj's are quite complicated creatures (same as both enfp and infp) so .. Take time and look into the functions more. If you focus on the individual functions as opposed to the descriptions, you'll be better off.

Another trick of the trade I've learned way before I knew about MBTI. If you ask someone, "are you an introvert" ? If they say yes. Chances are they are because introverts are highly in tune with their internal environment and know themselves. If they say they're both, they're more than likely extroverted. Because they recognize they have times they need solo time (as all humans do) but they need people and are externally focused and so are more apt not to limit their options. ;)

Sorry if there are typos. I'm on my phone. I'll address them later :p

It is kind of weird. I do do the INFJ blend in thing, but I just find the most outrageous people I can find to blend into, if that makes any sense (and usually I still feel weird, but delving into it would sound so emo the screen might crack). It's samey, but a little bit different. I felt as a child that I was different from the other kids but that difference made me feel shame and that I was less than others, somehow wrong. I kind of formed this romanticized outsider identity, which was at first lived internally and then later externally.
[MENTION=442]mia kulpah[/MENTION] Kinetic as in flying saucers and things? ;D I have 8 in my tritype so on a few occasions I have really been very visibly and tangibly ANGRY.

I have never come accross an INFJ 8 for rare types. No 7s either.
There are definately some INFJ who are 8s, more 8w9. My father is one of them.
I also think they make very good leaders, because they are wise and gentle yet firm, they are not hasty and immature (hopefully).

Didn't know about this till about a month ago. A self proclaimed ENFP friend of mine gave me a site to take the test but it cost money so I didn't lol... Found a free one, says I'm a type 8, wing 9? I guess is what you call it? Sx/sp/so -I thought that was funny.

"so = social variant (compliant, friendly), sx = sexual variant (assertive, intense), sp = self preservation variant (withdrawn, security seeking)"

Compared to the INFP 4w5 (self proclaimed) friend that i have there are some differences. I can't say exactly what it is since we both identify with each other. I'm probably more warm, and expressive, by some reason he always seems very poker-faced, he is incredibly intense when you get to know him though, whereas for me even when i'm extremely reluctant to show my feelings to strangers, when something affects me i just can't hide it, i don't even have to talk about it. Happens naturally, and it takes a while for me to notice that my emotions are on display through my mannerisms, expressions, or even my voice, i have a very poor command on my body and my emotions can take control of it rather easily. Also my connection to neurotic 2 seems stronger due to Fe.
Taking it more subtle now, there's a "lost soul" quality to him, like sad eyed, childish feel (he's much more mature than i am anyway) that seems to beg to treat him softly, and lots of people see it, whereas with me i've never been told or perceived that way as far as i recall. Some Fi doms have that regardless type. He's social dominant too, so there are differences there too.

The other ISFP 4w3 Sp that i know comes across as more earthy and practical. She's really sweet and unassuming when you get to know her, but also incredibly invested in her own identity and tastes, very elegant too, self protective, and then again, an inner world that i wish she could share with me more often. Her opinions are usually infused with a lot heart and emotion, and the few times that i light heartedly teased her because of her beliefs she got really serious.

Last edited:
I must say I am not only a fan of tritype but to be honest, it helps understand the parts of my personality my core can't explain. (which is why it can be so difficult pinning down ones core). For me I'm an overanalytical cp 6w7 but I have in the past, been the "reformer" and I have in the past been a big flirt and a person with remnants of a sexual 2. I have a heavy 7 wing too so I think incredibly positive and I could easily think myself 7w6 but I'm not. I know someone who is a 7w8 and he too, I see so very much of the 8 that if I didn't know him better, I might even think he a counter 8. and with that, I see so much of the 1 in that person that I could easily confuse that as a core. I think that each enneagram is going to manifest uniquely with our mbti but even more important to note - that the tritype influences that personality all the more so.

In other words, you can have an INFP and an INFJ who are both let's say, core 5's. But the bigger differences (imo) would be with the orchestra of the trytype. The INFJ 548 might be more alike with an INFP 548 than an INFP 417. And the instincts will matter more than the MBTI as well (imo) with differentiating "flavors".

I just think that the different "flavors" are more accurately depicted in the tritype (instincts considered) regardless of MBTI.

Hmmm. I was contemplating the difference between the "flavors" when I happened to notice this thread.

I've tested as 6 and as 1. There isn't much about 4 that I can relate to. I've had a close friendship with a 4, but eventually the difference in how we experience the world became apparent and caused value conflicts.

She saw me as a heavy Ti user. Perhaps that's true. I saw her as being threatened by normalcy and impersonal thought in such a way that blocked her progress into thinking practically in the global perspective that she was seeking.

Most of the time I could dismiss what seemed like snobbishness. ego, or possibly even impatience as part of her working through her own personal journey. However, there seemed to be a large gap that she couldn't leap to get to my point of view.

I did notice that one major difference between us was the willingness I had to reflect or think something through deeply. She would stop where I was just beginning. Or get agitated and angry at testing ideas, I remained more neutral while taking longer to solidify my judgments. I tend to listen more carefully and let things stew in the cauldron. I'm also not threatened by sameness nor difference. I understand them as two sides to the same coin. Both are always present.

I'm often mistaken for a thinker by feelers. And a feeler with potential by thinkers.
It's an odd phenomenon that I find bothersome. As both seem to want to take to mentoring what ever ability they think I should improve. And frankly, I find both highly condescending, though I usually keep that to myself. You learn more by not correcting others assumptions.

In the end, I found her need to be original and more expressive strangely limiting. In theory, it was quite understandable, but in practice... It tended to alienate people who viewed it as a kind of pseudo-enlightenment with a selfish motivation. And being so self assured about eccentric ideas was a huge turnoff that undermined her credibility even though she was quite intelligent.

I have known neither a 1w9 nor a 6. They are similar in way, but quite different. Usually, I want to backup my findings with something tangible. And here, is where I find myself without a leg to stand on. I am missing the Ah-ha finality along with the Yes! That's it!
Until then, I am cautious of making a final judgment. Especially when I know that I'm still missing some piece to the puzzle. Care to explore with me?