Cross Dominance Anyone??? | INFJ Forum

Cross Dominance Anyone???

Apr 27, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Hi,

I recently discovered that I was cross-dominant (I am right-handed but have a left dominant eye). I've been doing some reading on this and have discovered that cross-dominace affects, among other things, personalities. I was wondering if any other INFJ's out there have cross-dominance? It only affects a small percentage of the population, but can lead to learning disabilities, brain 'disorganization', and the inability to target shoot, as I recently learned trying to do archery.

Anyhow, the thought occurred to me that cross-dominant brains might result in INFJ personalities?

Interesting.

I'm right handed, but I can have some left dominance. I think I do more listening out of my left ear than I do my right.

I never had reading or writing problems, but I always had math "dyslexia." I'd transpose numbers all the time.

I don't know if its necessarily INFJ-dominant, because I think it could show up in any MBTI...I don't think cross-dominance results in INFJ personalities; I think cross-dominance may be more common in INFJs but it's not necessarily so. A true study would have to be done.

If anything, I'd say cross-dominance would be more common in iNtuitive folks in general, more than Sensory folks. It's hard to say, though, without any evidence.

left handed and left eye dominant. personallly i would doubt it has any correlation, but it is an interesting thought.

I am ambidextrous, I can use both hands equally well... does that count?

Reactions: Ecton
I am ambidextrous, I can use both hands equally well... does that count?
No, but its awesome anyhow. :D

Okay, it might count a little. I am right hand right eyed and my left hand is USELESS.

I am right handed with left eye dominence. Didn't know this was rare o_O No wonder I suck at shooting hahaha. I'm also sort of ambidextrious to be totally truthful, but I write with my right hand and it's more awkward doing it with my left. I throw with my left hand.

Last edited:
I am right handed, and I quite literally can not write at all with my left hand. It's impossible. I had to go to occupational therapy for fine motor skills when I was in elementry school so I think it is more that I am just crappy at that kinda stuff (yet I can do ceramics, go figure).

I actually don't think either of my eyes is dominant. I think it is pretty much equal.

Me too, Jack.

Sweet! I am not alone anymore! lol.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Really I'm legally blind in my right eye so it leaves little choice. Although I'm not ambidextrous I have this weird obsession to learn to write with my left hand. I practice from time to time. I've gotten to a point where it's legible but it's slow.

I am ambidextrous, but I use my right hand for small utility tasks like writing, drawing, mouse clicking, etc. I am also left eye dominant.

Most of my left brain / right brain tests place me right in the middle.

If you are left eye dominant, you might try shooting left handed. While it might seem awkward for the first few shots, you'll acclimate to it rapidly, and will be shooting better with your left hand than your right in literally no time. Most left eye people take less than a day of shooting left handed to see a marked improvement.

When I was in training, a Sgt. noticed that I was left eye dominant, made me switch to left handed, and I literally went from barely being able to hit a 100 yard target to marksman in a few shots. From there I went on to shooting 0.38 MoAs (personal best - which is about a one half inch grouping at 100 yards).

Edit: Side note, ask any archer with experience shooting, and they will tell you that lefties have a tremendous advantage, and this specifically refers to the dominant eye when shooting. You ALWAYS want to shoot from your dominant eye. The hand follows the eye, not the other way around.

If you watch Lord of the Rings, Orlando Bloom is left eye dominant, but is shooting right handed. Why? I have no idea other than he was probably right handed and no one caught it. I don't remember if Legolas was ever mentioned as being right handed, but you can see how much he tilts his head when shooting. If they had made him shoot left handed from day one, Orlando may have pulled some real life Legolas shooting before it was over because as a left eye dominant, he didn't do half bad otherwise.

Last edited:
Heh that reminds me, I do shoot left handed now. It's much more natural.

I'm also left-eye dominant but ambidextrous. Interesting.

I saw a left-hand versus right-hand poll earlier this year that suggested that INFJs are right hand dominated just like everyone else, on statistical average.

I do shoot, throw, and do archery right handed. I guess that makes me cross dominant by choice? What the heck would that mean. I donno.

I had to go to occupational therapy for fine motor skills when I was in elementry school so I think it is more that I am just crappy at that kinda stuff

same.

Indigo, have you ever done the simple eye dominance test?

I tried to be cross-dominant when I was a kid. I ate Lucky Charms with the spoon in my left hand. Anyway--

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/library/Dominant-Eye-Test.pdf

I did this test twice and got different results each time. However, I am near-sighted, and my left eye is stronger than my right eye, which leads me to believe that my right eye must be my dominant eye. I am also right-handed, so no such luck here.

I have not heard much about cross-dominance in this sense. I mean, I thought it was solely using left/right hand for different activities or whatever. I didn't even realize you could have a dominant eye (never really thought of it). So interesting idea.

Aha. You don't need to do anything quite that complicated.
Just pick an object at least 20 meters away. Then focus on it. Then bring one hand up at full arms length and make a little circle with your fingers. View the object through that circle (DONT FOCUS ON YOUR HAND, KEEP YOUR FOCUS ON THE FAR AWAY OBJECT.) Now try closing each eye, one at a time. Whichever eye closed causes your hand to move is your dominant eye.

Aha. You don't need to do anything quite that complicated.
Just pick an object at least 20 meters away. Then focus on it. Then bring one hand up at full arms length and make a little circle with your fingers. View the object through that circle (DONT FOCUS ON YOUR HAND, KEEP YOUR FOCUS ON THE FAR AWAY OBJECT.) Now try closing each eye, one at a time. Whichever eye closed causes your hand to move is your dominant eye.

Well, I actually didn't print the thing out. I made a rectangle with my hands instead, like people do when they're pretending to be a movie director, or whatever. But your way is much simpler.

I am definitely right-eye dominant.

Indigo, have you ever done the simple eye dominance test?

I found a few online. The one I saw the most was you put your hands to make a small hole then look through it. I tried it a few times on different objects, and I found that I would look through one eye over the other depending on what hand was on top of the other.

Then I did the thumb test where you posistion your thumb over an object and see which eye it is closer to on which side. It was exactly in the middle.

I don't think I have a dominant eye.

Wow. When you focus on a far away object and hold something up close, do you see two images, or does one eye temporarily dominate? Does it ever flip on you or does the image stay corrected?