Controlling Your Dreams | INFJ Forum

Controlling Your Dreams

Whitefire89

Community Member
May 20, 2009
MBTI
INFJ BABY!
I cannot. When i dream i seem to be incredibly slow. I tell my body to move in my dreams and its always delayed by about half a second.

Which is weird bcuz im actually very fast in real life. Like im actually scared to fight in my dreams bcuz im slow. its weird:m075:And i actually am very good at reading and understanding dreams.

So can anyone here control their dreams?

confession; i didn't read OP

anyways, when I was a kid I would always try to control what I dreamt about. I would spend all day lost in thought trying to make the perfect dream sequence, then I'd repeat it over and over and over. And every night I *wouldn't* dream that dream. After a while I thought you'd just dream the opposite of what you were thinking so I tried it that way as well, nothing worked.

i wish obama had an answer to that

Yeah, i've done it a few times over the last few months. Intentionally aswell. It's the mindset you have that gives you these lucid (conscious) dreams. If you know that you are slow in dreams then you will be slow.

Maybe because when you are tired you are not as conscious as you are in waking life so your dreams might be slow? Maybe try going back to bed when you are really aware and awake and become conscious in the dream. You may notice it to be all speedy.

Yes I can control my dreams. I usually have full control over them when they start to get out of hand. I can rewind my dream and rewrite it. I usually carry a mirror on me (like a totem in Inception) I got the idea after watching the film. :D

I look it at when I start to lose myself in the dream as a reminder that I'm dreaming.

Hi, Whitefire89. :) Yes, I used to have lucid dreams a couple times a week when I was younger. Two books that helped me immensely were:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-World-Dreaming-Stephen-Laberge/dp/034537410X/"]Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming (Stephen LaBerge)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Dreaming-Creativity-Overcome-Problems/dp/0684801728/"]Creative Dreaming (Patricia Garfield)[/ame]

It also helped to keep a dream journal/diary. The more conscious you are of your dreams in your waking life, the more likely you are to become aware in your dreams. Watching movies about controlling your mind/dreams (Waking Life, Dark City, Dreamscape, etc.) may also increase the frequency of lucid dreams and enhance your ability to maintain control and awareness during them.

A simple technique for inducing lucid dreams that worked well for me is to ask yourself, "Am I dreaming?," a few times a day. Eventually, you'll ask the question in a dream and find that you are, in fact, dreaming, which will awaken your conscious mind into the dream state.

Here are some other suggestions for improving your chances of having lucid dreams. Hope you find something that works for you. Happy dreaming!

I've been lucid dreaming since I was thirteen. I'm pretty much always in full control of my dreams, unless I'm emotionally stressed out :m142: in which case dreaming is even more familiar than it should be. I agree with those who have said that your mindset deeply impacts whether you'll dream lucidly. I'd also second the suggestion of logging your dreams. It helps to think about remembering your dreams as you fall asleep, if that makes any sense at all.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
No I can't control them, but I suppose as long as I can remember them I'm happy.

I can sometimes but only to a certain extent. I have dreams about tidal waves a lot and sometimes I can stop the wave from coming down. It will crash back down into the water but not flood anything. Or sometimes I will stop myself going up certain stair cases.

I have odd dreams though.

Reactions: deivejek2|9
Trying to run away in dreams is the deadset worst. You go fucking no where and it's so frustrating.

Reactions: not sure
Why don't you be a man and face them instead? :m031:
I'll have to remember that for next time.

I had perhaps the most vivid dream image I've ever had the other night.
I can vaguely remember it, and it was honestly like being in another world.

I think it is my mindset in real life. I train to be faster in real life bcuz I believe I am not fast enough. Wow I've nvr seen it like that. So in a way my dreams r like a mirror of how I see myself...

I have been of the opinion that a dream is a message from the unconscious to the conscious ego. The unconscious treats the conscious the way the conscious treats the unconscious. Attempts by the conscious ego to control and manipulate the material being presented by the unconsciousness strikes me as disrespectful and counter productive.

I can see the argument that the individual would do this in order to derive the maximum amount of meaning from the dream. Still in my humble opinion that is not what is going on.

Sometimes I can control my dreams and know I'm only dreaming...I've used this technique often to escape nightmares.

I also can sometimes rewind and replay my dreams for a 'better' outcome, sometimes within the same dream, and sometimes on nights when the dream repeats. I've had certain dreams so often I get that deja vu feeling, and know what I need to do to counteract the negative aspects.

I most often cannot control my dreams when I'm really stressed out or anxious about something.

Recording my dreams does help when I have recurring dreams, and assists me with interpretation.

I can control my dreams, it is more fun not to.

[MENTION=3499]zak[/MENTION] those are some really good tips. I'm going to have to keep a dream journal, it would certainly make life more interesting!
While I can control my dreams, I find that I get more profound and 'shocking' imagery when I allow my unconscious to be the driving force. When I'm at that halfway point where I can control what happens, I tend to disappoint myself by being too predictable (of course!), and by playing it safe. I can only control my dreams in the morning after at least 4 or 5 hours of sleep.

I'm in the pursuit of lucid dreams too. I literally just started a dream journal last night. But i'm not sure if lucid dreaming is so great since you're not listening to your subconscious. Maybe exploring it I guess. We'll see.

Hmm, I do, but not in the traditional sense. Overall, I control the plot of the dream and the direction it's going, but all the little moments are kept spontaneous and in the control of my subconscious. I tend to oversleep if the dream is interesting me, but it's very easy to wake myself up if the dream starts to get boring. lol