Competitiveness - are you? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Competitiveness - are you?

Are you competitive?

• Total voters
i am not a competitive person. i can't be bothered with it. i guess i don't really care to "be the best" compared to someone else

i am not a competitive person. i can't be bothered with it. i guess i don't really care to "be the best" compared to someone else

Cool.....one down..... *laughs*

Reactions: JGirl
I think for me, to be competitive a person must make the other person a looser, and that goes against my instinct to help others, not harm...

I have always felt like the term "healthy-competition" was an oxymoron.

Cool.....two down *laughs again*

I think for me, to be competitive a person must make the other person a looser, and that goes against my instinct to help others, not harm...

I have always felt like the term "healthy-competition" was an oxymoron.

Healthy competition doesn't imply that you are competing against each other but with each other. Helping push to your limits to see what you can do. That being said, I'm not very competitive but I like to know where I stand.

Healthy competition doesn't imply that you are competing against each other but with each other. Helping push to your limits to see what you can do. That being said, I'm not very competitive but I like to know where I stand.

I still struggle comparing myself to others. The only competition that I can consider is competition with yourself, along the lines of self improvement. Anything aside from that I just don't feel / can't feel good about... (and again, that is just me)

Competition is a contest between individuals, groups, animals, etc. for territory, a niche, or a location of resources. It arises whenever two and only two strive for a goal which cannot be shared. (Source)

I would not say I'm competitive. I do think however that I'm quite a snob. If I get put into a situation where I know I'm on of the top people, but someone else is stealing the whole show and I'm getting ignored, that's when I feel slighted and "get competitive" with them. This happens most often with my music. I am not an ostentatious person, and most of the groups I hang with have no clue my music abilities. So if I sing in a choir, and some prima dona ALWAYS gets the solo because the director is lazy and never bothers to notice anyone else that might do it well (like me LOL), well that will just royally piss me off, and I'll toot my horn a little louder.

Let's just say yes, and leave it at the miniture golf club I bent in half. I have gotten much better over the past few years though, still havn't completely cured it.

I guess I would say that I was a bit of an ass during my teen years...

Last edited:
I still struggle comparing myself to others. The only competition that I can consider is competition with yourself, along the lines of self improvement. Anything aside from that I just don't feel / can't feel good about... (and again, that is just me)

I think this is a good point. But can we compete with ourselves without using others as measuring sticks? Does this not, in some sense, keep us in constant competition with others? *I mean this with regard to specific situations, such as athletics, where the structure of the interaction is one of competition.

no i hate it, unless it serves a purpose. like competing to see who can find a cure for cancer, or something. probably because every time i lose/fail, i feel a bit more inadequate and it never goes away.

edit: also, i hate those silently bitchy/competitive people, who try to hide it but make it to be some sort of game where it's about seeing if they can win and inflate their ego, or watch the other person win and then resent them for it, sucking the fun out of it for everyone else

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soulful