Church Goer's Support Tourture? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Church Goer's Support Tourture?

When quoted and addressed, I feel a need to read and answer rather than ignore. You said, "A person that hurts another human being, no matter the circumstances, still hurt another human being." If you know I am a Christian and continue to bash Christians and judge them so harshly, it does not hurt me.....I am used to it. However, it may hurt other Christians. I do think it unfair to judge others, as that is the way I was taught....especially with bitterness aimed at the entire group that can still disagree.

I'm not bashing Christians, I'm sharing my thoughts on a specific group of Christians. There is a big difference between left wing Christians and right wing Christians. I have absolutely no problem with left wing Christians.

Nothing I say can change or influence you beyond what you allow it. If you are hurt by my comments about Right Wing Christians, then that is because you are giving my words the permission to hurt you. In effect, you are hurting yourself. And if you have chosen to let my words hurt you, then that is probably because you recognize the truth in them. The truth often hurts. I learned this lesson rather recently, and I am happy to share it.

A person who tortures someone else is using physical power over someone else. They are hurting someone.

I'm not bashing Christians, I'm sharing my thoughts on a specific group of Christians. There is a big difference between left wing Christians and right wing Christians. I have absolutely no problem with left wing Christians.
You make some good points. You might be expecting people to hold more consistent/cohesive beliefs than they often do. People have the uncanny ability to hold as true deeply conflicting assumptions. It might be easier to view a group's system of thought as holding consistent assumptions and ideals, but even there we have conflicting ideologies. Now I'm wondering if a group makes for more cohesive systems of thought or if they reflect the ironies that are prevalent on the individual level.

Flavis Aquila said:
I wonder if the same people support the death penalty?
That would seem consistent, and you might be correct that many hold both positions. This is a good example of the inconsistencies in the individual though, because it is completely possible for someone to see the death penalty as good and torture as bad. These kinds of conflicting ideals often result from personal experiences being superimposed on the system of ideals they were taught.

That would seem consistent, and you might be correct that many hold both positions. This is a good example of the inconsistencies in the individual though, because it is completely possible for someone to see the death penalty as good and torture as bad. These kinds of conflicting ideals often result from personal experiences being superimposed on the system of ideals they were taught.

Such correlations, if they indeed exist, could seem to point to the likelyhood that personal values/feelings/emotions based on personal experience/genetics/chemistry are the basis for people congregating as a particular group. (Right wing extremists, or left wing extremists, for example).

I think I need to make one thing clear about my previous posts. I am not trying to drag Christians down. I am a committed centre-left Christian. The reason I'm specifically picking on Christians (specifically RWC) is because I believe that torture is unChristlike (plus I have some minor antipathy towards RWC due to past experiences :lol:).

I, too, can make up scenarios involving insane supervillains. They aren't real arguments though.

Can I steal that for future use? =)

No, I'm not for torture. In fact, there's good evidence to support the idea that the information you receive from a torture victim isn't reliable information - or rather, you're receiving the data based off a tired, incoherent mind at this point. You'll confess to anything when you're depleted physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.

I am a Christian, but I don't support torture. There was an excellent report on NPR a few months back with someone who chose to use alternative methods to get information from so-called Islamic terrorists. He did not use torture, and his information was both reliable and accurate. He chose to befriend his enemies and get to know them, and he was even more effective than those who chose the torture methods to obtain data.

I wish I could find the link for that report. I might search for it online.

Isn't that what they did with Saddam Hussein? They got a govt. agent of Iran decent to befriend Saddam to get information out of him?

Also, it is possible for right-wing Christians to disagree with each other regarding issues...happens all the time. You are judging all RWCs.

I'm not going to disagree with you there. There can be dissent in any group of people, however, when I talk about a group's beliefs, I go by what the majority believe.

I wonder if the same people support the death penalty?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/gallup-poll-who-supports-death-penalty

Isn't that what they did with Saddam Hussein? They got a govt. agent of Iran decent to befriend Saddam to get information out of him?

Probably. I don't know. :)

I do know we probably would've had a lost less trouble with Iran and Iraq if we hadn't given Iraq weapons to attack Iran.

But America was fully in support of Iraq attacking Iran. Iran was an enemy, Iraq was a valued ally.

You make some good points. You might be expecting people to hold more consistent/cohesive beliefs than they often do. People have the uncanny ability to hold as true deeply conflicting assumptions. It might be easier to view a group's system of thought as holding consistent assumptions and ideals, but even there we have conflicting ideologies. Now I'm wondering if a group makes for more cohesive systems of thought or if they reflect the ironies that are prevalent on the individual level.

Rather eloquent.

Human discord is a beautiful thing at the individual level because it generally inspires the pursuit of understanding. However, at the group level, it becomes ideology and the opposite effect is reached. There is no longer the desire to understand the alternative perception because the individual feels their perception is affirmed by the other individuals within their group. This is the curse of groupthink. The individual's ability to critically examine their beliefs is sacrificed in exchange for group cohesiveness.

Human belief systems are generally based on circumstantial differences. Sometimes these differences can be as small as where an individual was born. This is a fact that I find rather ironic since humans have vastly more in common with one another than they have different. The irony lies in the fact that belief systems which are meant to bring people together are generally what divide people simply because not every individual has similar circumstances. What is constant between all belief systems is that they are chosen. Individuals generally choose the belief system which best suits their own circumstances and then generalize that their belief system is consistent with any set of circumstances. Contradictory beliefs can be held by an individual as long as those beliefs don't contradict that individual's particular circumstances but such contradictions are easily noticeable to other individuals who have different circumstances.

Last edited:
No, what's really ironic is that the small minded bigots all around the world have a lot more in common with each other than the open minded liberals all around the world have with each other.

Small Minded Bigot + Small Minded Bigot (if of different ages, social groups and geographic locations) = War
Open Minded Liberal + Open Minded Liberal (even if everything else is different and share nothing else in common) = Friendship/Civility

When quoted and addressed, I feel a need to read and answer rather than ignore. You said, "A person that hurts another human being, no matter the circumstances, still hurt another human being." If you know I am a Christian and continue to bash Christians and judge them so harshly, it does not hurt me.....I am used to it. However, it may hurt other Christians. I do think it unfair to judge others, as that is the way I was taught....especially with bitterness aimed at the entire group that can still disagree.
A person has chosen silence, therefore has already made a choice. They could talk and avoid torture.

I stated very clearly it does not hurt me....I am used to it. I now must drive around looking for a sign at a church that says, " First Baptist RW Church".
As for group mentality, I feel it highly possible to have a group mentality in a church or political party. That is possibly why there are so many denominations of Christianity out there.....and other religions. As an individual, I sought understanding differently than most. It may be why I have such a hard time placing a bigoted label on a group of people. My experience was that of knowledge shared, questions that needed answering, and a path to walk to find the answers. I think it a responsibility of each person to seek understanding in whatever manner they have available to them. My path may have been a bit more unique than others' paths, which does influence the way I see things. I will claim to be Christian. I will not claim to be a RWC, but at the same time will not claim to be a LWC or riding the fence. I believe that which I believe; I am accountable for that.
Yes, the different paths or influences we have encountered in life's bumpy road greatly influence our individualities. Wondering if a group reflects ironies in the individual's thoughts is a thought to ponder. I can influence a group only after maturity and a certain acceptance from said group, but only a limited amount of influence may be shown in the group's stance. If the stance they have taken is in conflict with my self, I will stand aside when the issue is brought to the surface. I will, however, say no only with an explanation. If not allowed an explanation, I will not feel my opinion or view relative to the group.
I will say in war many things happen. I had breakfast with a WWII vet this morning. There were no smart bombs. Citizens were murdered. Enemy troops were killed holding white flags. When asked about torture, his look out the window said all I needed to hear. When modern era torture was brought up, he joked about its being called torture because of his life experiences. We are influenced by our surroundings.
So all may know where I personally stand, the word "Christian" had me to visit this thread. I did not come here because of the word "torture". There are words I could use to stir just as much reaction from others here I have chosen to not use. Why? Maybe only those that know me well could answer that. I watched a family pray before breakfast in a public restaurant this morning. Very good. Made my morning. I have seen children hurt more from being screamed at in public than the torturing methods of modern day times, and it does affect their life.

Sort of off topic, but not since it was discussed earlier...

How do you get information without torture--? Easy. With cookies:

How to Make Terrorists Talk
By BOBBY GHOSH / WASHINGTON Bobby Ghosh / Washington Fri May 29, 4:00 am ET

The most successful interrogation of an Al-Qaeda operative by U.S. officials required no sleep deprivation, no slapping or "walling" and no waterboarding. All it took to soften up Abu Jandal, who had been closer to Osama bin Laden than any other terrorist ever captured, was a handful of sugar-free cookies.

Abu Jandal had been in a Yemeni prison for nearly a year when Ali Soufan of the FBI and Robert McFadden of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service arrived to interrogate him in the week after 9/11. Although there was already evidence that al-Qaeda was behind the attacks, American authorities needed conclusive proof, not least to satisfy skeptics like Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, whose support was essential for any action against the terrorist organization. U.S. intelligence agencies also needed a better understanding of al-Qaeda's structure and leadership. Abu Jandal was the perfect source: the Yemeni who grew up in Saudi Arabia had been bin Laden's chief bodyguard, trusted not only to protect him but also to put a bullet in his head rather than let him be captured.

Abu Jandal's guards were so intimidated by him, they wore masks to hide their identities and begged visitors not to refer to them by name in his presence. He had no intention of cooperating with the Americans; at their first meetings, he refused even to look at them and ranted about the evils of the West. Far from confirming al-Qaeda's involvement in 9/11, he insisted the attacks had been orchestrated by Israel's Mossad. While Abu Jandal was venting his spleen, Soufan noticed that he didn't touch any of the cookies that had been served with tea: "He was a diabetic and couldn't eat anything with sugar in it." At their next meeting, the Americans brought him some sugar-free cookies, a gesture that took the edge off Abu Jandal's angry demeanor. "We had showed him respect, and we had done this nice thing for him," Soufan recalls. "So he started talking to us instead of giving us lectures."

It took more questioning, and some interrogators' sleight of hand, before the Yemeni gave up a wealth of information about al-Qaeda - including the identities of seven of the 9/11 bombers - but the cookies were the turning point. "After that, he could no longer think of us as evil Americans," Soufan says. "Now he was thinking of us as human beings."

Soufan, now an international-security consultant, has emerged as a powerful critic of the George W. Bush - era interrogation techniques; he has testified against them in congressional hearings and is an expert witness in cases brought by detainees. He has described the techniques as "borderline torture" and "un-American." His larger argument is that methods like waterboarding are wholly unnecessary - traditional interrogation methods, a combination of guile and graft, are the best way to break down even the most stubborn subjects. He told a recent hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee that it was these methods, not the harsh techniques, that prompted al-Qaeda operative Abu Zubaydah to give up the identities of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-confessed mastermind of the 9/11 attacks, and "dirty bomber" Jose Padilla. Bush Administration officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, had previously claimed that Abu Zubaydah supplied that information only after he was waterboarded. But Soufan says once the rough treatment began - administered by CIA-hired private contractors with no interrogation experience - Abu Zubaydah actually stopped cooperating.

The debate over the CIA's interrogation techniques and their effectiveness has intensified since President Barack Obama's decision to release Bush Administration memos authorizing the use of waterboarding and other harsh methods. Defenders of the Bush program, most notably Cheney, say the use of waterboarding produced actionable intelligence that helped the U.S. disrupt terrorist plots. But the experiences of officials like Soufan suggest that the utility of torture is limited at best and counterproductive at worst. Put simply, there's no definitive evidence that torture works.

The crucial question going forward is, What does? How does an interrogator break down a hardened terrorist without using violence? TIME spoke with several interrogators who have worked for the U.S. military as well as others who have recently retired from the intelligence services (the CIA and FBI turned down requests for interviews with current staffers). All agreed with Soufan: the best way to get intelligence from even the most recalcitrant subject is to apply the subtle arts of interrogation rather than the blunt instruments of torture. "There is nothing intelligent about torture," says Eric Maddox, an Army staff sergeant whose book Mission: Black List #1 chronicles his interrogations in Iraq that ultimately led to the capture of Saddam Hussein. "If you have to inflict pain, then you've lost control of the situation, the subject and yourself."

The Rules of the Game
There is no definitive textbook on interrogation. The U.S. Army field manual, updated in 2006, lists 19 interrogation techniques, ranging from offering "real or emotional reward" for truthful answers to repeating questions again and again "until the source becomes so thoroughly bored with the procedure, he answers questions fully and candidly." (Obama has ordered the CIA to follow the Army manual until a review of its interrogation policies has been completed.)

Some of the most interesting techniques are classified as "emotional approaches." Interrogators may flatter a detainee's ego by praising some particular skill. Alternatively, the interrogators may attack the detainee's ego by accusing him of incompetence, goading him to defend himself and possibly give up information in the process. If interrogators choose to go on the attack, however, they may not "cross the line into humiliating and degrading treatment of the detainee."

But experienced interrogators don't limit themselves to the 19 prescribed techniques. Matthew Alexander, a military interrogator whose efforts in Iraq led to the location and killing of al-Qaeda leader Abu Mousab al-Zarqawi, says old-fashioned criminal-investigation techniques work better than the Army manual. "Often I'll use tricks that are not part of the Army system but that every cop knows," says Alexander. "Like when you bring in two suspects, you take them to separate rooms and offer a deal to the first one who confesses." (Alexander, one of the authors of How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq, uses a pseudonym for security purposes.)

Others apply methods familiar to psychologists and those who deprogram cult members. James Fitzsimmons, a retired FBI interviewer who dealt extensively with al-Qaeda members, says terrorism suspects often use their membership in a group as a psychological barrier. The interrogator's job, he says, "is to bring them out from the collective identity to the personal identity." To draw them out, Fitzsimmons invites his subjects to talk about their personal histories, all the way back to childhood. This makes them think of themselves as individuals rather than as part of a group.

Ultimately, every interrogation is a cat-and-mouse game, and seasoned interrogators have more than one way to coax, cajole or trick their captives into yielding information. Lying and dissimulation are commonplace. When a high-ranking insurgent spoke of his spendthrift wife, Alexander said he sympathized because he too had a wife who loved to shop. The two men bonded over this common "problem"; the insurgent never knew that Alexander is single. The Army manual even includes a "false flag" technique: interrogators may pretend to be of other nationalities if they feel a captive will not cooperate with Americans.

Other countries that have experienced insurgencies and terrorism have evolved rules too. From Britain, with its Irish separatists, to Israel, with its Palestinian militants, most such countries have tended to move away from harsh techniques. But institutional relapses can occur: human-rights lawyers and Palestinians with experience in Israeli prisons say some violent interrogation techniques have returned in recent years.

The Tricks of the Trade
Each interrogator has his own idea of how to run an interrogation. Soufan likes to research his captive as thoroughly as possible before entering the interrogation room. "If you can get them to think you know almost everything to know about them - their families, their friends, their movements - then you've got an advantage," he says. "Because then they're thinking, 'Well, this guy already knows so much, there's no point in resisting ... I might as well tell him everything.'" When Abu Zubaydah tried to conceal his identity after his capture, Soufan stunned him by using the nickname given to him by his mother. "Once I called him 'Hani,' he knew the game was up," Soufan says.

To get Abu Jandal's cooperation, Soufan and McFadden laid a trap. After palliating his rage with the sugar-free cookies, they got him to identify a number of al-Qaeda members from an album of photographs, including Mohamed Atta and six other 9/11 hijackers. Next they showed him a local newspaper headline that claimed (erroneously) that more than 200 Yemenis had been killed in the World Trade Center. Abu Jandal agreed that this was a terrible crime and said no Muslim could be behind the attacks. Then Soufan dropped the bombshell: some of the men Abu Jandal had identified in the album had been among the hijackers. Without realizing it, the Yemeni prisoner had admitted that al-Qaeda had been responsible for 9/11: For all his resistance, he had given the Americans what they wanted. "He was broken, completely shattered," Soufan says. From that moment on, Abu Jandal was completely cooperative, giving Soufan and McFadden reams of information - names and descriptions of scores of al-Qaeda operatives, details of training and tactics.

Alexander, who conducted more than 300 interrogations and supervised more than 1,000 others in Iraq, says the key to a successful interrogation lies in understanding the subject's motivation. In the spring of 2006, he was interrogating a Sunni imam connected with al-Qaeda in Iraq, which was then run by al-Zarqawi; the imam "blessed" suicide bombers before their final mission. His first words to Alexander were, "If I had a knife right now, I'd slit your throat." Asked why, the imam said the U.S. invasion had empowered Shi'ite thugs who had evicted his family from their home. Humiliated, he had turned to the insurgency. Alexander's response was to offer a personal apology: "I said, 'Look, I'm an American, and I want to say how sorry I am that we made so many mistakes in your country.'"

The imam, Alexander says, broke down in tears. The apology undercut his motivation for hating Americans and allowed him to open up to his interrogator. Alexander then nudged the conversation in a new direction, pointing out that Iraq and the U.S. had a common enemy: Iran. The two countries needed to cooperate in order to prevent Iraq from becoming supplicant to the Shi'ite mullahs in Tehran - a fear commonly expressed by Sunnis. Eventually the imam gave up the location of a safe house for suicide bombers; a raid on the house led to the capture of an al-Qaeda operative who in turn led U.S. troops to al-Zarqawi. (See pictures of U.S. troops' 6 years in Iraq.)

The Ticking Time Bomb
Proponents of waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques say the noncoercive methods are useless in emergencies, when interrogators have just minutes, not days, to extract vital, lifesaving information. The worst-case scenario is often depicted in movies and TV series like 24: a captured terrorist knows where and when a bomb will go off (in a mall, in a school, on Capitol Hill), and his interrogators must make him talk at once or else risk thousands of innocent lives. It's not just fervid screenwriters who believe that such a scenario calls for the use of brute force. In 2002, Richard Posner, a Court of Appeals judge in Chicago and one of the most respected legal authorities in the U.S., wrote in the New Republic that "if torture is the only means of obtaining the information necessary to prevent the detonation of a nuclear bomb in Times Square, torture should be used ... No one who doubts that this is the case should be in a position of responsibility."

The CIA's controversial methods, argue their defenders, were spawned by precisely that sense of urgency: in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, amid swirling rumors of further attacks to come - including the possibility of a "dirty" nuclear bomb - the Bush Administration had no choice but to authorize the use of whatever means necessary to extract information from suspected terrorists. "We had a lot of blind spots after the attacks on our country," former Vice President Cheney explained in a May 21 speech in Washington. "We didn't know about al-Qaeda's plans, but Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and a few others did know. And with many thousands of innocent lives potentially in the balance, we didn't think it made sense to let the terrorists answer questions in their own good time, if they answered them at all."

But professional interrogators say the ticking-time-bomb scenario is no more than a thought experiment; it rarely, if ever, occurs in real life. It's true that U.S. intelligence managed to extract information about some "aspirational" al-Qaeda plots through interrogation of prisoners captured after 9/11. But none of those plots have been revealed - at least to the public - to have been imminent attacks. And there is still no conclusive proof that any usable intelligence the U.S. did glean through harsh interrogations could not have been extracted using other methods.

In fact, a smart interrogator may be able to turn the ticking-bomb scenario on its head and use a sense of urgency against a captive. During combat raids in Iraq, Maddox grew used to interrogating insurgents on the fly, often at the point of capture. His objective: to quickly extract information on the location of other insurgents hiding out nearby. "I'd say to them, 'As soon as your friends know you've been captured, they'll assume that you're going to give them up, and they'll run for it. So if you want to help yourself, to get a lighter sentence, you've got to tell me everything right now, because in a couple of hours you'll have nothing of value to trade.'"

That trick led to Maddox's finest hour in Iraq. At 6 a.m. on December 13, 2003, the final day of his tour of duty, two hours before his flight out of Baghdad, he began interrogating Mohammed Ibrahim, a midranking Baath Party leader known to be close to Saddam Hussein. More than 40 of Ibrahim's friends and family members associated with the insurgency were already in custody. For an hour and a half, Maddox tried to persuade him that giving up Saddam could lead to the release of his friends and family. Then Maddox played his final card: "I told him he had to talk quickly because Saddam might move," he says. "I also said that once I got on the plane, I would no longer be able to help him. My colleagues would just toss him in prison. Instead of saving 40 of his friends and family, he'd become No. 41." It worked. That evening, Ibrahim's directions led U.S. forces to Saddam's spider hole.

Link to the article (which has highlighted links I deleted)

It's what I've always said. If you want knowledge from someone, ask them nicely. If you want to destroy an enemy... make them your friend.

Always try to see something from your enemies point of view and you'll understand a situation a whole lot better.

It's what I've always said. If you want knowledge from someone, ask them nicely. If you want to destroy an enemy... make them your friend.

Always try to see something from your enemies point of view and you'll understand a situation a whole lot better.

I understand the mente behind this and can see and understand implementation. I'm going to ask Alcyone to bake a fresh batch of cookies and see if we can visit North Korea tomorrow.

I understand the mente behind this and can see and understand implementation. I'm going to ask Alcyone to bake a fresh batch of cookies and see if we can visit North Korea tomorrow.

On an individual scale, this works. On a large scale, not so much. So your example is kind of irrelevent.

Lots of cookies...?
One on one...?

By what you said, you sounded like you were trying to apply that method to the whole country or large portions of it at one given time.

If you take one person and interrogate them, it is more effective. Trying to do a group at once never works.

To make one's enemy a friend for the purpose of destroying one's enemy
(I mean, one's friend) is kind of....................the word fails me.
I would be willing to bet one could give all the cookies in the state to a trained CIA operative and not get information from him/her. I doubt seriously an interrogator from another country could get information from a trained CIA operative, let alone make the operative their friend.
Now if the cookies were information valuable to the operative's country's national security, I'm certain they would spill all the beans because I am certain they would believe everything they were being told. heh
Remember we must think like the enemy and embrace their point of view, suicidal belt bomb and all...

Last edited:
I am trying to show there are two sides of this coin, joined by edges. I am not telling anyone they should not be nice with the enemy. Heck, try whatever you might think is worthy; just don't believe everything you hear and see.
The title of this thread, "Church goers", infers an awful lot of cookies to me. Does that infer, "non-Church goers" do not support torture; leading to "Church must be evil" ?
In the movie(yes, it was a movie) "Man On Fire", it showed a professional at work.
I'm done with this tonight, as there is entirely too many distractions around me to concentrate...including some fresh walnut brownies. yummy

Last edited:
"Love they enemy"
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
"Love others as you love yourself"

I guess these kind of words are simply just words. Clearly that Jesus fella never considered trained CIA operatives and terrorists.

Last edited:
On an individual scale, this works. On a large scale, not so much. So your example is kind of irrelevent.

Actually she was being sarcastic. And stupid.

Cancelling all the sanctions.
Making a gift of about half a trillion dollars, not in money but in the kind of goods a nation needs to rebuild.
Making reparations for the war. (separate to the financial aid gift)
Apologise for all the bullshit you've put them through since losing the Korean War.
Supplying them with schematics for "clean power" power plants.
Ignoring their weapons programs.
Giving them text books and equipment for universities.
Cancelling their debts.

These are the things of nation building. This is how you apologise and this is how you make a friend.

You guys profess to being good people and wanting to do good around the world, but when it comes down to it, most of you are evil selfish ignorant peons who allow themselves to be indoctrinated by your nations ruling elite and their propaganda instead of educating yourself objectively.