Cell phone culture | INFJ Forum

Cell phone culture

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
How common or uncommon is it, in your experience, to meet someone who does not have a cell phone?

Do you find there is an unspoken expectation that each individual above/below a certain age carry a cell phone? Does not having a cell phone make an unfavourable impression socially and/or professionally? (ex. to potential employers)

If this is the case, are there certain professions (ex. teaching, nursing) in which an employer might not care as much about a person having a cell phone, or would all potential employers across the board regard this as something unusual and/or undesirable?

Do you think not having a cell phone is seen as an odd thing socially?

Anyone NOT have a cell phone?

Reactions: Gaze
I didn't start regularly using a cell phone until I was in my 20's. I bought it because at that time I had just moved cross country, didn't own a computer and all of my family and friends lived far away. I was also living a very busy life and while I had a landline, I was never home to use it. Having a cell phone seemed to be the most viable option though I didn't invest in any kind of smart phone. I just wanted something basic that I could text on and call with once in a while.

I didn't upgrade to a smart phone until I turned 25 and while it is convenient I don't use most of the features. In fact, I barely text and I almost never use my phone to place calls. Hardly anyone ever texts or calls me, so it's almost pointless to even have. I do like that I can access the internet from it but I barely use it for that.

I don't really know the social or professional implications of not having a cell phone. I imagine employers care most that you have a telephone at all, even if it is just a landline. I understand that in some jobs having a cell phone to be reached at is important (I am thinking professions that deal with crises such as detectives, therapists, etc) but for your regular 9-5 I don't think it matters.

If someone else doesn't have a cell phone I admire it and it makes me contemplate getting rid of mine. I am just reluctant to cut off communication like that.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I was forced by parents to get one, or I wouldn't bother with it. Useful for communication, but not so vital as I think most make it out to be. I'd imagine most employers want you to have one so they'll have a way to contact you, though.

Don't read if you have heart problems

I don't have a cellphone

Everyone I know have cellphones.

I expect anyone between 10-65 to have a cellphone. I also hardly ever expect people to use landlines outside of work. But this is something that varies from country to country. Circumstances also make it vary. In the document linked below it's also evident that where you live also might be a relevant factor for cellphone useage. (12% difference between big cities and rural areas for cellphone useage.)

I don't have any stats to back it up, but I assume that kids with divorced parents also get cellphones earlier.

This document is in Norweigian, but "tabell 44" says a lot about how common cellphone useage is here in Norway: http://www.ssb.no/medie/sa121/spill-tekst.pdf

Look in the column "privat mobil-samtale". It lists the percentage of people in the given group who've had a private cellphone call on an average day. The numbers speak for themselves. Not having/using a cellphone is uncommon here.

Personally I find having a cellphone to be a good thing. I don't use it much, but it can be a very valuable tool. I'm reachable 24/7. I can also get help 24/7 when I need it.

Last edited:
People need to get over themselves when it comes to texting in class. You shouldnt be distracted if I am texting and being quiet about it. Get over your pride about how we the little students need to fulfill your ego and give you undivided attention.

I only got a cell phone because I needed to keep in contact with my new boss who is very busy and travels alot. I will have had it for a year in October. Outside my family, 5 people have the number, one of them being my boss, my best friend, one other work person (it was under protest and a bit of an emergency) and two other people. It is a pre-paid cell phone that I paid $10 for and I have no plans on getting anything more fancy that it.

Last edited:
[MENTION=3096]Sonya[/MENTION] ......how did you manage to get 867 5309 as your number (Jenny?)

No cell phone.

I dropped my first one in the ocean (it never recovered) and ran over my second with my car after it fell out of my pocket. I cut myself off from ever owning another one and am much happier for it :)

Reactions: the
I don't own a cell phone and never have. I could probably get by without ever having one.

Using phones is even worse than talking to people in real life.

I have had situations where I called a pizza place to order a pizza to pick up and they asked me for my phone number, which I never knew. I guess that guy thought I was kind of weird, but then again, he was an asian man who ran a pizza place.

I have a cellphone and I hate cellphones.
For one, they kill honeybees.
Two, I have overheard wayy too many sexually explicit details from the lives of people I do not ever want to think about having sex.
Three.. they haven't invented contacts that display text messages yet.

I have a cellphone. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't. I don't think it's a huge deal. It's an easy way to get in touch with people when making plans, and that's about all I use it for now I live with my partner.

If they really kill honey bees I will be slightly angry, but not angry enough to do anything about it.

Reactions: acd
i have a cell phone. i use it a lot (because i'm popular, obvz) and so sometimes i worry about.. uhh.. what's it called? phone radiation?

do you guys believe in it or do you think it's just sillyness? when my ear gets all warm from being on the phone i kind of get scared.

Don't read if you have heart problems

I don't have a cellphone

My left arm, it feels numb. I thought all ENTP's were required by law to own minimun 3 cellphones.

I used to have one of those pre-payed cellphones but I didn't really use it so I kind of threw it away. Sometimes I feel like I need to own one because my friends get bummed out when they ask for my number and I tell them that I don't have one. Text messages and communication via phone is flavorless to me. There are no facial expressions, no body language...just words that need deciphering . :/ (Imo face to face, shoulder to shoulder is the way to go) =)

I don't always communicate with others but when I do use a pigeon to send my messages. (in a sense)

It is very unusual for someone to not have one these days.

I held out for a long time before finally breaking down and getting a cell phone few years ago.
Started out with a pay as you go Trac Phone, and last year got a smart phone. Now, I can't leave the house without it or I feel somewhat naked.
I really never liked the idea of being able to be reached at anytime, but have had to get used to the idea. I still have the option of not answering, since there isn't anyone on the other end until I answer. LOL!
I still have a landline at home. I have no choice as my house is in a dead zone. No matter what carrier you have, your phone will not work at my house! Very frustrating!

These days kids get their first cellphones in kindergarten. Everyone has one and calls their mothers during recess and stuff. I know this because both of my grandparents are substitute teachers and they've all observed this, they have to make the kids put the cellphones away in their backpack when class starts again.

I have a cellphone and I love it. I text a lot to people- I hate texting- but those one word 'yes' 'no' 'okay' texts really do add up.

I have only known one person in my entire life who did not have a cellphone. That's how uncommon it is, and yeah when I hear people don't have cellphones it does make it socially less accessible to invite them out, especially if they live in a dorm or something without a landline. I know people wanna act like having the internet is the same as a cellphone and you can communicate the same way but you can't. I'm usually not very good friends with people without cellphones and we drift apart after time.