Careers/jobs for INFJ's? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Careers/jobs for INFJ's?

The last 6 months I've been questioning my field as well (I work in corporate America where deadlines and the bottom line rule all). But the last few months, I've seriously considered going into nursing or some social science field. Actually, I shouldn't even say considered, it's been more like an overwhelming wave of: "You're not where you're suppose to be". And the other problem is I make decent money, I won't be making the same if I start all over again in an entry level position in another field (superficial I know, but I have a family to support). I just need to start positioning myself to transition, that way when I know I can't take it anymore, I'm financially ready.

BlackSwan, I think it's fabulous you're willing to make the change and do something you feel drawn to! I am curious.. what draws you to nursing?

Last edited:
I just retired from 32 years in telecommunications, the job had some annoyances, but it allowed me the freedom to have my own truck, go where I wanted (or was needed), maintain a very large network, constantly upgrade or replace technology, create something usefull and needed, serve the public and it allowed me to train others in the technology, all while constantly learning. The job you have is not important, it is what you make of it (sounds dorky, but it's true).
Best of luck to you.

BlackSwan, I think it's fabulous you're willing to make the change and do something you feel drawn to! I am curious.. what draws you to nursing?

The overwhelming desire to take care of people. Not just physically, but emotionally, spiritually. I am one of those people that believe an act of kindness can change someone's life. A smile can change someone's depressing day to something hopeful. I want to take care of people, even strangers. What better way to do it than help heal sick people and show that I care? But on the flip side, would I have the nerves and capability not to self destruct when I see people die on a regular basis? It's something I'll be sleeping on for a while. Regardless, I know my calling is to help others, what form that will be in is still unknown to me.

I was a computer science major (technically still am due to my grades..), but I'm switching to psychology just because it feels so right. I'm "good with computers," but computer science (and programming in general) is so rigid and uninteresting. I'm taking three psychology courses this semester, and while it will be hard work, it feels very natural and fulfilling.

My main concern now is staying at the school I'm in (/financial aid) and getting into grad school. I'd like at least a Master's degree, if not a Ph. D.

This is really random, but does anyone find that however their feeling emotionally at any given point in their lives, has a gigantic impact on how they're worklife and productivity is.... i recently went through some pretty traumatic experiences and I find during recovering from that I can hardly work to the best of my ability.... does anyone experience anything similar?

I can only speak for myself when I say yes, but I think a lot of people (of various types) do.

I hope things have gotten better for you, larosa.

This is really random, but does anyone find that however their feeling emotionally at any given point in their lives, has a gigantic impact on how they're worklife and productivity is.... i recently went through some pretty traumatic experiences and I find during recovering from that I can hardly work to the best of my ability.... does anyone experience anything similar?
Yep, I find that too. Success in any given endeavor is a direct result of where your head's at at any given time.

For example, I play a game called Battlezone 2, and have developed a system of categorizing player skill and evaluating a team's rate of success. The wild card though is the morale variable, and it has a set effect upon swaying the probability of a team winning or losing -- and it is possible for an enemy team to take an action which raises morale and influences success by means of inertia. Some players are strongly affected by morale changing events, and others are not. Some players transmit negative morale to others, while others are capable of reversing a negative morale situation through optimism or otherwise righting the situation which has lowered team morale. Some of the greatest team leaders respond to a negative event through either indifference, or positivity and prevents the morale of the team by being negatively affected, while others become unhinged and lose the ability to fight which results in the team losing cohesion.

Strong emotions tend to draw each other and can be difficult to dispel. Yet they affect success and failure the most.

Its like this with a lot of things, actually.

A lot of things will affect your morale, but not your ability, so long as you realize that any state you are in is merely a transient one. So keep yer head up soldier, and keep on smiling.

Last edited:
My hope is that one day I will know myself well to the point, have developed my natural skills and practiced my less-innate skills to the point that I will finally find/discover/determine/decide/experience my passion. I hope everything will fall into place then, and I'll earn money for doing what I love :m015: and am excited and totally passionate about.

I :m107: for that everyday.

53 and free

Not much for believing in testing and that sort of thing, I was floored when I tested and found out I was an INFJ. I am in the middle of working out a notice as a finance officer at a large library and moving to a small tech college to be a head librarian. Though I have worked at a library for many years, it has been on the admin side. I have taught myself governmental accounting, HR, facility management and have done a good job with it. The HR piece was my favorite, and now I know why.

I am finishing my second master's degree right now, the first one was in Fine Arts. I am a classic INFJ.

I hear librarian is a good spot for an INFJ. Hope you like it, leggettini!

As someone who's a month away from graduating college and trying to think about how to enter the workforce, this thread very quickly caught my eye...

I would agree that INFJs are well-suited for social work and library professions. I'd add writing to the list (it being my own career focus), since I think our "second sight" capabilities and sense of organization lend themselves well to this field. Personally, I'm working on becoming a writer or, failing that, landing a steady career as an editor or proofreader, because if I can't make a living on my own material, then I'd rather be helping other writers do the same.

I was a librarian in several different positions over 12 years with superior performance appraisals and went through some traumatic experiences and am disabled now and work as a housewife on disability retirement. Hope things don't get so bad for you, Larosa, but if they do, it is not so bad, really. Clouds always have silver linings.

Last edited:
The top 5 in my opinion off the top of my head:

Counseling
Teaching (especially kids)
Social Work
Psychiatry
Physical Therapy

Man...I'm finishing up my last three classes for my Masters in library science this year. It's crazy how many of us are librarians.

I'm leaning more towards the research side but my IDEAL library would be a specialized comic book library (or museum). Yes, they do exist: Here and here and here and HERE...

Ahhh, heaven...:m035:

Man...I'm finishing up my last three classes for my Masters in library science this year. It's crazy how many of us are librarians.

I'm leaning more towards the research side but my IDEAL library would be a specialized comic book library (or museum). Yes, they do exist: Here and here and here and HERE...

Ahhh, heaven...:m035:
libraries are one of my most favourite places to be. though i truly considered becoming a counselor for awhile, i don't think i've ever came across the possibility of becoming a librarian until now. may i ask, how and to what aspects were you drawn to this career choice?

Right now I am studying to be an addictions counselor, but what I would love to do is decorate. I want to do weddings and events or other peoples homes and offices. I love helping people, but I have a great need to make things look good. Where I live isn't big enough to decorate so it wouldn't make sense. Also maybe big parties just aren't for me because I have to go home early most of the time.

I was a house wife so long I just know I can not do a job I think is pointless or immoral. I become physically ill and have to quit. I wish I could work for minimum at Mc Donald's or something just to get by while I am at school, but I just can't. Plus hot oil freaks me out, I don't know why but it is hot and I am clumsy. If I could find a book store....

tough choice...

I am also having a difficult time "deciding" on what to actually do with myself career-wise. There seems to be some sort of pattern (as noted in various posts on the internet) among INFJs and Psychology based professions... I could be completely off about this, but that just seems to be what I have noticed.

I have taken small steps in multiple directions, to find that I was weary of most things, until I landed on Psychology. Even still, I cannot completely make up my mind, and I am 26 years old, so I should get onto that career path pretty soon! First, right after high-school, it was Art for me. After only one semester, I decided to work and travel a for a bit, picked up surfing, and did that for a few years. I then decided I wanted to be a nurse... I completed the practical nursing program, with hopes to carry on and become an RN. After 1 1/2 years of working as an LPN, I realized I would probably destroy myself with self-criticism, and fail miserably as an RN due to my HUGE lack of ability to be assertive. I have now been an LPN for 4 years, and utterly exhaust myself each work day due to the fact that I over-empathize with my residents/patients and their families, and make every possible attempt to please all on-shift staff (which is a very impossible task!)...

So, two years ago I went back to university part-time, just to open myself up to other options. After completing first year psychology, I decided to work towards a BA, major in Psychology. I'm still working as a nurse and attending university... I do not know what type of job I will land in the end, but so far I am leaning towards special education (assisting), working in community support, or recreational/activity work, assisting older adults, and/or individuals with special needs.

It can take a lifetime of searching to find one's niche -but then that's what makes for a rich life.....it's the journey, not the destination that appears to hold greater relevance for many of us..? So speaks the voice of experience...

Truck Driver
Park Ranger