Career-Speak: where do you envision yourself in 5 years? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Career-Speak: where do you envision yourself in 5 years?

I'd like to be... anywhere else. Somewhere far from here. Doing drugs and drinking a lot. Making music, hopefully touring. No idea what else.

I've been thinking about this lately and more and more I'd like to be self-employed. Or at least have the majority of my income stream coming from a situation where I am my own boss.

I'd like this as well, but more so for me in 10 years after I get my Masters and/or Ph.D. I like having a lot of responsibility and in my past jobs, I've always been a manager or an assistant in a department. People tend to trust that I'm efficient, task-orientated, calm-under-pressure, and they know that I'm driven enough to make sure things are going smoothly. I've also been an assistant to four men at once in a fortune 100 company, and it takes a really strong woman to deal with 4 egos without cracking under pressure. Along with that, I've managed a front-end of a store along with managing an automotive garage with a team of 15 men. I'm no bullshit, I get business done.

I feel like I'm done tending to egos and having to adhere to other people's rules. It's not my thing. So I would definitely love to own my own company in the future because that means I have the freedom to carry out my own vision. There's something worthwhile in knowing that you have all the power to manage where you want to lead your company next and what you want it to be like. Along with that, I want to invest and it's something I'm currently looking into so I can start acquiring a net worth in the future.

I can't wait for the day that I get a paycheck in my hands, knowing that it took all my muscle to get it, and I did not have to adhere to anybody but myself.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to think of one. Eternal monument to my greatness is so 1500 BC now.

In 1500 years it may come back around. Think of what a great hipster you'd be if someone can point to it and say "Whytiger was making mounuments before it was cool."

I will be in Portland. I will have transferred to a job in the Area Office and living the good life surrounded by my family.

Hopefully I'll have deemed "something" worthy of my pursuits. Ideally I'd either be pursuing a prospective job/career, or (with luck) I'd already be employed in said field.

Last edited:
My family will be living back in my home state, my kids would be old enough to stay home alone and I'd have the choice to go back to work. More than likely I will get more heavily involved in my artwork because it is the only thing that allows me to "do something" yet remain flexible with my family's needs.

This is a secret thought that I have not written down or spoken to anyone else about.... In five years, I hope to have been able to intern with a photographer and shooting weddings and other events. I hope to have a job as an administrative assistant- or another job where I can be the speaker and set up awesome slide shows (a secret talent of mine). I do not envision going back to school for some time still- especially as the job market seems flooded by BAs and MBAs. I think once I get better at public speaking I would be really good as the spokesperson for causes that are near and dear to my heart.

I was thinking about becoming an engineer, but then, more and more I realized I would be dissatisfied and under-stimulated in that kind of environment. I do good with people and ideas, and lots and lots of research time. So, the goal is to find a job where I can do that.

I also hope to get a golden retriever that I can go jogging with, and be in an official house (that I own with my partner). I digress....

Reactions: rawr
Thanks for the shares!

This is a secret thought that I have not written down or spoken to anyone else about.... In five years, I hope to have been able to intern with a photographer and shooting weddings and other events. I hope to have a job as an administrative assistant- or another job where I can be the speaker and set up awesome slide shows (a secret talent of mine). I do not envision going back to school for some time still- especially as the job market seems flooded by BAs and MBAs. I think once I get better at public speaking I would be really good as the spokesperson for causes that are near and dear to my heart.

I was thinking about becoming an engineer, but then, more and more I realized I would be dissatisfied and under-stimulated in that kind of environment. I do good with people and ideas, and lots and lots of research time. So, the goal is to find a job where I can do that.

I also hope to get a golden retriever that I can go jogging with, and be in an official house (that I own with my partner). I digress....

It sounds like you like to be in front of an audience, communicating an expertise of some sort. Am I right? Have you ever considered teaching?

In five years I wont be in IT anymore, I'll be in Japan teaching English. Hopefully it'll be as hard and challenging as I think and I'll have a real feeling of achievement and that feeling of giving something back.

ideally or realistically?

Ideally: working as an InfoSec consultant travelling around the country doing pentests & assessments. (and swole as #$*!... but that's not a career goal :p)

Realistically: some kind of sys admin sitting on my @$$ all day...

These are some great goals [MENTION=5301]jupiterswoon[/MENTION]! Thanks for the share.

ideally or realistically?

Ideally: working as an InfoSec consultant travelling around the country doing pentests & assessments. (and swole as #$*!... but that's not a career goal :p)

Realistically: some kind of sys admin sitting on my @$$ all day...

Whatever floats your boat, [MENTION=2240]rawr[/MENTION]. I was going more for the realistic than idealistic when I posted the Q ;-)

These are some great goals [MENTION=5301]jupiterswoon[/MENTION]! Thanks for the share.

All of these goals are completely different now, lol, well not different, but man, life has really changed a lot since then.

I am now going back to school, and am pursuing a psychology degree!!! I also moved back in with my parents, as did my beau respectively move back in with his parents, and he is also working on attending school. My goal has shifted quite dramatically, and I have decided not to give up on my dreams, just because I met a few over-qualified people with no work experience. I feel much more excited about life, and that I have more purpose. I still love golden retrievers, but I currently live with a long haired weiner dog, and my love of dogs is waning. I miss my cats.
[MENTION=4882]passionista[/MENTION], I thought of teaching, but after working in customer service for so long, I wanted a job that was more behind the scenes. Although now I work at a different location (same job) and I am loving it- the people in urban areas are much more stimulating, and so my possible desire to teach has been partially reignited. Research and presentation are great skills of mine, although my written words are much more well put together than my spoken words. I have a tendency to mispronounce words, and to appeared air-headed one on one, but despite that I find that I am still a great salesperson. But, at the same time, I also create an almost instant connection with my audience- which would definitely work if I was a professor.

Reactions: rawr
:bump:

Never say, "dead."

To build on invisible's idea. "Im hoping Ill be able to spend 7 years of my life making you look good just so that when the time rolls around to let people go because you are cutting costs or because of the political tide, you can let me go without feeling bad at all about it."