Book Club??? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Book Club???

4 for fic
1 for non...

I'm a lot more picky with my non-fiction books than I am with my fiction books (author bias and all), so I vote fiction.

Author bias is essential with non fiction books.

To be honest I chose one at random so fic is fine by me

both the books I suggested are fiction (unless David Eagleman accidentally got one of his stories right)

We should read Acker's Pussy, King of the Pirates.

It's provocative, insulting, disgusting, is all about pirates, and is an awesome social commentary on sexuality (and how we treat it like some scary thing).

Oh, and I vote fiction.

Are book discussion questions going to be posted? Are there questions we can try to answer every week to keep us going or motivated?

I think it depends on the type of questions we decide to ask. Like I said, I don't want this to feel like a formal school assignment. I think the questions should remain loose, and open ended, but with the potential to generate some controversy and fire up the discussion. In a romance novel, for example, a question like "Who do you think Character A should end up with?" might get a few polar opposite examples (I definitely vote for Scottie McMullet! :p)

I had some general review questions of this nature saved on my harddrive somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up and you guys can pick and choose.

Then again, we can always encourage folks to generate one or two optional questions of their own right after they finish posting up their thoughts.

Last edited:
We should read Acker's Pussy, King of the Pirates.

It's provocative, insulting, disgusting, is all about pirates, and is an awesome social commentary on sexuality (and how we treat it like some scary thing).

Oh, and I vote fiction.

you would choose a disgusting pirate novel...seriously MF it was one dream one time...will I ever live it down?

you would choose a disgusting pirate novel...seriously MF it was one dream one time...will I ever live it down?
Nope! (but it's still actually a rather awesome book)

Fiction, I say. Unless it's creative non-fiction, like James Herriott's books or some such.

Nope! (but it's still actually a rather awesome book)

just for that I am picking mr hotty mcmullet...get reading mf...enjoy the highlander smuttyness...

Reactions: bamf
looks like fiction it is..

heres what I am going to do, I am going to do a poll on genres.

THEN once we have a genre we will each choose one book from that genre.

It must be a book you have never read, and you must provide a short description with your suggestion.

Once everyone has suggested a book, we will put it up for vote.

How does that sound?

just for that I am picking mr hotty mcmullet...get reading mf...enjoy the highlander smuttyness...
Yummmmmm...hunky mcmullets....*drools*

So when are we thinking about starting this? As soon as possible?

Yummmmmm...hunky mcmullets....*drools*

So when are we thinking about starting this? As soon as possible?

I think well start sunday. how does that sound?
*imagines MF enjoying mcmullets*

*shudders*

*then giggles*

indeed...I have a really hard time with non fiction...

I don't mind non-fiction at all, its just the type of non-fiction that one can read with a book club is rather limited. Some things are too dry to discuss, and other things can offend, and not everyone has the time (or sometimes the background) to formulate a proper response to a philosophical treatise. Or even the desire to read on a topic that doesn't even remotely interest them.

It's one of those things that has a very niche interest and can alienate people from participating (even more so than a particular novel genre; at least novels have a story component that can possibly entertain).

Last edited:
Mechanical and Dynamical Principles of Protein Nanomotors: The Key to Nano-Engineering Applications (March 30, 2010)
:m200:
2ly22wm.jpg

looks like fiction it is..

heres what I am going to do, I am going to do a poll on genres.

THEN once we have a genre we will each choose one book from that genre.

It must be a book you have never read, and you must provide a short description with your suggestion.

Once everyone has suggested a book, we will put it up for vote.

How does that sound?

what does everyone think of this?

what does everyone think of this?

I think it sounds like quite the process. Why don't we just see if we already have a rough consensus on genre in this thread before we take the time to put up a genre poll and tack on the formality of taking an extra day or two to have everyone make up their minds?

I vote for Fantasy (historical, romantic, epic, superhero, I don't particularly care which).

I think it sounds like quite the process. Why don't we just see if we already have a rough consensus on genre in this thread before we take the time to put up a genre poll and tack on the formality of taking an extra day or two to have everyone make up their minds?

I vote for Fantasy (historical, romantic, epic, superhero, I don't particularly care which).

Fantasy has my vote