Book Club??? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Book Club???

... Perhaps you should also recommend that the book be easy to find/in print. The thing with Fantasy novels is that there are a lot of obscure titles. :/

yes I think its safe to say Fantasy wins.

One book suggestion per person
Must be a book you havnt read
Book must be easily accessible
Must provide a description
Must eat cookies,

I had that thought earlier and forgot to make a note of it...

... Well, I got excited about a book... and then I realized that for some reason, it's temporarily unavailable to order in Canada and the Library has a ridiculously long list for holds on the item :/

As a fantasy fan, I suppose it comes as a shock that I've never read any of the books from the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series. Which is why I've decided to put this down as a quintessential and award-winning read for any contemporary fantasy peruser who might be in a similar bind.

I recommend:

A Game of Thrones: Book One of A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R. R. Martin.

I'm looking for a suitable summary to post up here.

Side note:... Oh bloody hell, I'm just having a hard time picking between these two. Enty, I leave it to you to decide which you want to add to the poll.

"The Blade Itself," by Joe Abercrombie (2007)
Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian – leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glotka a whole lot more difficult.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood. Unpredictable, compelling, wickedly funny, and packed with unforgettable characters, The Blade Itself is noir fantasy with a real cutting edge.

Here's a brief extract from the novel, to get a sense of the author's style. I've poked around the internet community and everyone seems to be raving about this guy.

Last edited:
Lord Foul's Bane from the Thomas Covenant series (Stephen R. Donaldson)...I've always wanted to finish it but I never had the chance.

ETA: Thankfully we have an EXQUISITE used bookstore nearby. It should have that one. :D

I'd love to join.
I read philosophy, political science, and some old literature.
We would love to have you. This time we have chosen fantasy. If you still want to participate in the genre choose a book that fits the guidelines.

Has to be available
You cant have read it before
One suggestion per person
Must provide a description

As we go i am chaging the OP with the suggestions. Please have them in by sunday. Then i will add a poll!

Lord Foul's Bane from the Thomas Covenant series (Stephen R. Donaldson)...I've always wanted to finish it but I never had the chance.

ETA: Thankfully we have an EXQUISITE used bookstore nearby. It should have that one. :D
can you find a description online?

Fantasy is fine for me.

I've read a song of ice and fire though. I'm onto book 5 I think

Oh wow, I read that years and years ago. I must have been in the 7th grade, I think? Too bad I don't remember most of it.

Anyway, I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm in for the book club thing! Can't guarantee my commitment, though... I tend to be terrible at keeping to a schedule. :m136:I'll do my best!

Very brief description of Lord Foul's Bane from Amazon.com (partial book jacket):

"The first book in one of the most remarkable epic fantasies ever written, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever.

He called himself Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever because he dared not believe in the strange alternate world in which he suddenly found himself. Yet he was tempted to believe, to fight for the Land, to be the reincarnation of its greatest hero...."

Amazon link here: Amazon.com: Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1) (9780345348654): Stephen R. Donaldson: Books

You can also read the first several pages as a tease. Book might be a bit dated...but in the beginning, the main character suffers from leprosy in modern times (1977) before embarking on his journey to the new world. Very Tolkien-esque.

Why not a series like the Wheel of Time?

The first book, the prequel to the series would be New Spring.

ns_us_nov_hb_lg.jpg

Last edited:
yes, the more the merrier! Everyone who wishes to participate may suggest a book. I will start a poll on sunday!

Why not a series like the Wheel of Time?

The first book, the prequel to the series would be New Spring.

ns_us_nov_hb_lg.jpg

But would the prequel detract from the first book in the series, "Wheel of Time"? I haven't read Jordan (I've wanted to but I haven't) but I don't want the (later) prequel to spoil any surprises!

Last edited:
I've heard the first few are fantastic but they get worse and worse as the series progresses. culminating in a farcical (too many characters) last two books

Is that an accurate assessment?

Yea, it gets a little too over-the-top after a while. As an example: Someone says something, some woman faints, another vomits, like a crazy anime movie.

By book 8 it felt a bit drawn out. Not everyone would agree with that though. I simply don't get into stuff that is overbearingly complex.