Book Club??? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Book Club???

I have never been in a book club either so were gonna have to decide the rules together...

I agree with the classics...and TDHT...perhaps some HP lovecraft thrown in there.

I think rotating between members is an awesome Idea. everyone gets a chance to choose a book. And you can choose to participate in that round or not.

NAI...that book cover is fricken hilarious! I think I peed myself!!

In light of this post, I vote for:

mcmullet.jpg

Scottie McMullet? :m146:

When even your parents are against you what hope do you have?

I have never been in a book club either so were gonna have to decide the rules together...

I agree with the classics...and TDHT...perhaps some HP lovecraft thrown in there.

I think rotating between members is an awesome Idea. everyone gets a chance to choose a book. And you can choose to participate in that round or not.

NAI...that book cover is fricken hilarious! I think I peed myself!!

I would be up for lovecraft, although I am a bit afraid to read it!

:mcute:

Whats lovecraft?

I would be up for lovecraft, although I am a bit afraid to read it!

:mcute:

Dont worry Cthulhu wont eat you...but that hunk of a mcmullet might...those highlanders are bloodthirsty *drools*

uh I mean...errr...what were we talking about *fans self*

Horror stories it is then.

I would also like to suggest a book called Sum by David Eagleman. it is forty short stories (a couple of pages each) which describe various possibilities for what happens in the after life.

Some are whimsical some are hilarious, some are insightful and some are downright disturbing.

I guarantee you that you will be thinking about it for days/weeks afterwards.

I've already read it but would be happy to read it again. It's also very short so won't take long to read

I don't think these mere mortals are quite ready for the awesomeness of our dread lord, Cthulhu...

..but in all seriousness, Lovecraft is enjoyed best in smaller doses, and conveniently, he's a short story author :)

I don't think these mere mortals are quite ready for the awesomeness of our dread lord, Cthulhu...

..but in all seriousness, Lovecraft is enjoyed best in smaller doses, and conveniently, he's a short story author :)

precisely my point! But perhaps you are right...I do not think they are ready for such awesomeness...:m027:

Ok I am going to start a list then in the OP...whenever a book is suggested I will add it...perhaps we will put it to a vote?

any imput?

Each title needs a description so people know what they are voting for

Well, if anyone does decide that they've got balls enough to tackle the Cosmic Horror, I would recommend "The Nameless City" as the place to start, or if we're feeling particularly ambitious, as an accompaniment to "The Dunwich Horror."

The Dunwich Horror:

Is the story of Wilbur Whateley, the son of a deformed albino mother and an unknown father, and the strange events surrounding his birth and precocious development. Wilbur matures at an abnormal rate, reaching manhood within a decade. All the while, his sorcerer grandfather indoctrinates him into certain dark rituals and the study of witchcraft. Together, Wiblur and his grandfather search for the dreaded Necronomicon, an ancient grimoire with the power to summon the Old Ones. (In case you were wondering where these types of fantasy cliches come from, this is the story that started it all).

Last edited:
I would suggest The Kite Runner, but since I have already read it, I will suggest A Thousand Splendid Suns instead. Not to say we couldn't add the former if everyone wants it.

Description:
The novel is divided into four parts. The first part focuses exclusively on Mariam, the second and fourth parts focus on Laila, and the third part switches focus between Mariam and Laila with each chapter.

Mariam lives in a kolba on the outskirts of Herat with her mother. Jalil, her father, is a wealthy man who lives in town with three wives and several children. Because Mariam is his illegitimate daughter, she cannot live with them, but Jalil visits her every Thursday. On her fifteenth birthday, Mariam wants her father to take her to see Pinocchio at his movie theater. When he does not show up, she hikes into town and goes to his house. He refuses to see her, and she ends up sleeping on the porch. In the morning, Mariam returns home to find that her mother has hanged herself out of fear that her daughter has deserted her. Mariam is then taken to live in her father's house. Jalil arranges for her to be married to Rasheed, a shoemaker from Kabul who is thirty years her senior. In Kabul, Mariam quickly becomes pregnant, 7 times, but the child miscarries each time and Rasheed becomes abusive towards his young bride.

In the same neighborhood lived a girl named Laila and a boy named Tariq, who are close friends, but careful of social boundaries. War comes to Afghanistan, and Kabul is bombarded by rocket attacks. Tariq's family decides to leave the city, and the emotional farewell between Laila and Tariq ends with them making love. Laila's family also decides to leave Kabul, but as they are packing a rocket destroys the house, kills her parents, and severely injures Laila. Laila is taken in by Rasheed and Mariam.

After recovering from her injuries, Laila discovers that she is pregnant with Tariq's child. She arranges to marry Rasheed, who is eager to have a young and attractive second wife. Laila, who has been told that Tariq is dead, gives birth to Aziza, a daughter. Rasheed is unhappy and suspicious, and he becomes more abusive. Mariam and Laila eventually become confidants. They plan to run away from Rasheed and leave Kabul, but they are caught at the bus station. Rasheed beats them and deprives them of water for several days, almost killing Aziza.

A few years later, Laila gives birth to Zalmai, Rasheed's son. The Taliban has risen to power, and there is a drought, and living conditions in Kabul become poor. Rasheed's workshop burns down, and he is forced to take jobs he is ill-suited for. The family sends Aziza to an orphanage. Then one day, Tariq appears outside the house. He and Laila are reunited, and their passions flare anew. When Rasheed returns home from work, Zalmai tells his father about the visitor. Rasheed starts to savagely beat Laila, so Mariam kills Rasheed with a shovel. Laila and Tariq leave for Pakistan with the children. Mariam confesses to killing her husband and is executed. After the fall of the Taliban, Laila and Tariq return to Afghanistan. They stop in the village where Mariam was raised, and discover a package that Mariam's father left behind for her: a videotape of Pinocchio, a small pile of money and a letter. Laila reads the letter and discovers that Jalil regretted sending Mariam away. Laila and Tariq return to Kabul and fix up the orphanage, where Laila works as a teacher. Laila is pregnant with her third child, and if it is a girl, it is suggested she will be named Mariam.

Last edited:
I might have to skip ahead and read a few of Lovecraft. Sounds interesting. :D

LOL! Sounds like it's time for a polllll...

Nobody True by James Herbert.

This is one of my all time favourite books.

A man teaches himself how to have out of body experiences. When he gets back to his body one day he finds he has been murdered and cannot re enter his body. cue dramatic hunt for his killer and a way to end the torment

OK got a few solid things going on here I will start another thread for the poll! everyone better vote, but gimme a min, gotta make the list...whew...

... so are we going with a theme at all? Because, y'know, I forsee this poll being a total flop should everyone start with their favourites.