Astrology | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Astrology

Oh, oh-oh, do stars (and planets) REALLY affect all of you there? I mean, on your traits and etc. (I'm really interested if planets in your natal chart and planets in transit can do it).
Like, I'm 100% sure and KNOW that full moon can cause some troubles with sleep on biochemical levels, but do planets (moon is not a planet and so is sun of course, pardon me for such generalization) truly affect you concerning your traits? :studying::computerwtf:

think that's a pretty interesting thing to contemplate

I'm not going to say it's true or correct, but it's an ancient study. I suspect there may be something to it. NT mbti types often lean very rigidly on logic.

But we may not be living in a "logical knowable" place. How ever much we might prefer.

@Free great thread :)

I'm not going to say it's true or correct, but it's an ancient study. I suspect there may be something to it. NT mbti types often lean very rigidly on logic.

But we may not be living in a "logical knowable" place. How ever much we might prefer.

@Free great thread :)
:uhyeahsure::ughhh:

Excuse me that I'd like to base my view of reality on... reality. Shocking, I know. :wink::jumphug:
:backaway:

Let's Make the Thinkers Uncomfortable!
You making yourself look foolish doesn't make me uncomfortable it just makes me laugh
giphy.gif

Oh, oh-oh, do stars (and planets) REALLY affect all of you there? I mean, on your traits and etc. (I'm really interested if planets in your natal chart and planets in transit can do it).
Like, I'm 100% sure and KNOW that full moon can cause some troubles with sleep on biochemical levels, but do planets (moon is not a planet and so is sun of course, pardon me for such generalization) truly affect you concerning your traits? :studying::computerwtf:
Yes ;)

it's an ancient study.
2,500 plus years ;)
Astrology and Alchemy are much of what our science is grounded in, especially personality & psychology. ♡

But if we don't live in a logical-knowable place, then why does astrology claim to have predictive explanatory power in a traditional, "logical" sense?

I think that's the issue. I think astrology is super interesting from an esoteric point of view, though. My brother knows an awful lot about it.

I tend to relate least to my sun sign lol, except for the bit about being indecisive. I'm least indecisive about being indecisive...

According to this I should be very social, but I don't think I am.

Rising Sign is in 20 Degrees Scorpio
You tend to be quiet, reserved, secretive and, at times, quite difficult to understand. Others notice your deep emotions and feelings and wonder how to draw you out. Stubborn and tough, you fight for any position you believe in. You are very resourceful and formidable when you become angered or upset about something. You enjoy living life at the cutting edge -- for you life must be experienced intensely and totally. Quite courageous, you are willing to take calculated risks. Easily hurt by others, you often strike back with bitter sarcasm. Sensitive and curious, you are concerned with the deeper mysteries of human psychology. Once you have become interested in any subject, you pursue it with total fanaticism.

Sun is in 15 Degrees Libra.
Very sociable, you enjoy being with others and definitely prefer not be alone. Warm and affectionate, you go out of your way to make others like you. You despise ugliness, for you being surrounded by beauty and harmony is a necessity of life. You prefer fine clothing, an attractive home and pleasant surroundings wherever you are. Your refined tastes apply to music and to art as well. At times, you are very indecisive you waver and falter when forced to make a choice because you have the ability to see both sides of any question. The positive part of this is that you are very fair-minded and can be trusted to settle disputes. Your greatest challenge is to take any one- on-one encounter and make the most of it.

Moon is in 11 Degrees Gemini.
Restless in the extreme, you are easily bored because of your short attention span. Your emotions change rapidly and you love to talk about your feelings. Generally, you have good judgment -- your intellect controls your emotions and you do not overreact emotionally to things. A good jack-of-all-trades, you have many- sided interests and enjoy reasoning things through. With your mental agility and need for physical mobility, you are attracted to traveling and learning about other peoples and cultures. You have vivid powers of emotional self-expression - - you can be a nonstop talker. You love to share your ideas with anyone who will listen.

Pisces moon is big juju ♡
:tastetherainbow:

You making yourself look foolish doesn't make me uncomfortable it just makes me laugh
Congrats on understanding the basic principals of humor! :bigsmile:

I wouldn't have guessed you were a scorp rising @Free
Scorp power! My silliness probably disguises a lot of that.
I tend to relate least to my sun sign
Me too, except for work, not interpersonal relationships. I think the broader perspective of all the planetary influences paint a better picture for me. I always hated horoscopes because it was like reading quotes from the business and finance section of Forbes or something. Ack! And I think you're very sociable when it comes to people you know. Not in a extroverted way, but it's there, the connection. Imagine an INTJ Libra... that's lol's for daaays.

Much like most MBTI descriptions, I don't find horoscopes personal, including the ones quoted in this thread. There's a lot of generic flattery that's either something most people can relate to or how they like to see themselves. Some details are more specific, but they're so few that if they don't fit, it's easy to dismiss them, whereas if they're correct, one is more likely to be amazed by the accuracy. Besides, because of the Earth's axial precession the sun signs aren't even the same as 2000 years ago.

"You work hard but also like to relax. If shy, you nevertheless can be quite talkative with close friends. You enjoy good food and beautiful things." etc.

Come to think of it, some people's dating ads are just like this.

I do find it amusing that when all the planets are taken into account the cafeastrology chart is more specific, but it becomes so inconsistent that it fails to make any sense, apparently because ascendant Aquarius and the sun in Taurus mean peacefulness whereas I'm supposed to be rash and extroverted because the moon, Mercury, Venus and Mars are all in Aries. So as a result I'm romantic and marriage-oriented but totally unable to tolerate marriage. Also very interested in science and philosophy, but at the same time very practical, doing things with my hands rather than theorizing. Basically all the bases are covered by the profile so whatever I am like, there's always something that fits.

Much like most MBTI descriptions, I don't find horoscopes personal, including the ones quoted in this thread. There's a lot of generic flattery that's either something most people can relate to or how they like to see themselves. Some details are more specific, but they're so few that if they don't fit, it's easy to dismiss them, whereas if they're correct, one is more likely to be amazed by the accuracy. Besides, because of the Earth's axial precession the sun signs aren't even the same as 2000 years ago.

"You work hard but also like to relax. If shy, you nevertheless can be quite talkative with close friends. You enjoy good food and beautiful things." etc.

Come to think of it, some people's dating ads are just like this.

I do find it amusing that when all the planets are taken into account the cafeastrology chart is more specific, but it becomes so inconsistent that it fails to make any sense, apparently because ascendant Aquarius and the sun in Taurus mean peacefulness whereas I'm supposed to be rash and extroverted because the moon, Mercury, Venus and Mars are all in Aries. So as a result I'm romantic and marriage-oriented but totally unable to tolerate marriage. Also very interested in science and philosophy, but at the same time very practical, doing things with my hands rather than theorizing. Basically all the bases are covered by the profile so whatever I am like, there's always something that fits.
I think @the nailed it
Also MBTI
31655452_1678004675644438_7812975682463465472_n.jpg
Within these basic human personality traits, like MBTI, people find a preference for some over others that create subgroups that they can relate to more, and see themselves in, rather than just broadly generalizing human personality. This is just another way to break down our quirks, offer insight into ourselves and those around us. Even in MBTI there's opposing information within each type that speaks to the dualities everyone has. Just humans trying to understand humans.

I think @the nailed it

Within these basic human personality traits, like MBTI, people find a preference for some over others that create subgroups that they can relate to more, and see themselves in, rather than just broadly generalizing human personality. This is just another way to break down our quirks, offer insight into ourselves and those around us. Even in MBTI there's opposing information within each type that speaks to the dualities everyone has. Just humans trying to understand humans.

Sure, but I think it's still important to keep in mind the fundamental difference between MBTI and astrology. I'm not saying MBTI is pure science, but in its method it is unquestionably far more scientific. At a very basic level it proceeds from empirical observation of personality traits to a conclusion (a type). Astrology proceeds from a conclusion (a zodiac sign) to empirical observation of personality traits, meant to corroborate the already-known sign. I do not need to be an NT to find that "logic" simply preposterous :tearsofjoy:

If we could just get to pick our zodiac signs based on our personality traits, it would already make a world of difference.

Sure, but I think it's still important to keep in mind the fundamental difference between MBTI and astrology.
That's why there's an astrology thread dedicated to only astrology (this one), to separate the two for those interested. I still find it funny that those who believe in MBTI are so quick to shoot this down, even when there are those in the scientific world that claim MBTI and psychology in general to be pseudoscience.

Also, if the only interest for those that do not wish to participate within this thread is to stomp on what others may find interesting, I encourage them to make their own thread to do so. This thread isn't a platform to debate on the truths of astrology vs MBTI, but to simply focus on star juju.

That's why there's an astrology thread dedicated to only astrology (this one), to separate the two for those interested. I still find it funny that those who believe in MBTI are so quick to shoot this down, even when there are those in the scientific world that claim MBTI and psychology in general to be pseudoscience.

Sorry @Free, I did not mean to give that impression. :(

You're right, this thread shouldn't be about a competition between the two. I'll only contribute if I have substantial things to say about astrology from now on.