Are you too observant? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Are you too observant?

I'm observant. though not as much as I'd like

I wouldn't say that I'm very observant, more......oblivious. Focus is something that I kind of struggle with quite a bit, I tend to be pretty internal a lot of the times and because of that I'm not very 'present' I'm slow to make links between say; if a person is happy they'll tend to wear yellow or pink and if they're sad they favour blacks and blues. I look behind what people say and a little into how they're acting without meaning to. I think I'm very 'in tune' with the baser motivations of people but not to an extent where I see it as black and white (I can, but it isn't helpful and can't be used to communicate only to isolate yourself. In fact, I think it's a frame of thinking (mindset) that people with depression take that can easily create a cycle or add justification to pretty much any action). I tend to get a sense...some kind of 'hit' off of a certain word in a certain context and from that a past to that person seems to map out in my mind (as strange as that sounds) not all of it is certain or right but there are always a number of things that are certain, when in this kinda mind set I do need to be snapped out of it a bit from time to time to become more present, but it's not an unpleasant experience, more, restful so I don't tend to mind...actually it's kind of what I switch to when I'm tired or what have you.

So as far as observant goes I would say I'm not very outwardly observant to the physical attributes but I'm observant to the inner worlds and social dynamics of others......as weird as that sounds.

When it comes to human interactions, I am very observant, and sometimes I wish I wasn't. It doesn't seem to be by choice for me, I feel that I am very aware of whatever it is that's going on around me, and I can't help but notice the connections between everyone and everything. It feels like your eyes are wide open all the time, when all you want is to shut them and go to sleep.

It happens on an intuitive level; meaning I won't be able to explain it...just yet.

Sometimes it's a blessing, and sometimes "too much input will do nothing but cripple you."

I am going to need you to provide examples so I can adequately evaluate if
I observe too much based upon what your idea of too much observation is.

The only time I think it's possible to take it too far is if you're not really observing
but more invading one's privacy.

Last edited:
I'm definitely too observant. I have a constant urge to look at situations objectively. The problem is, people are not meant to look at the world objectively. The placebo effect can make you healthier, happier, and more successful. The intellectual elite maintain a noble lie, because they know that the alternative is existential angst. Maybe we're better off not knowing certain things.

Pearl S. Buck said:
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and so they attempt the impossible, and achieve it, generation after generation.

As people often say on the internet, "what has been seen cannot be unseen".

Ha, ha, I'll just say: public trasportations. I have to control myself from staring at people, thinking about what they work, how they live etc.

Reactions: invisible
In some areas (namely the ones I'm interested in!) you might say I'm hyperobservant. In others (namely the ones that bore me to death), totally absentminded. I also remember visual information far better than anything else.

I have the most odd memories... Details I remember from Sunday lunch: The girl to my right was probably close to blowing her nose when we left - she had a shiny film of snot nearing the edge of her left nostril. The guy across from me has a faint freckle beneath his right eye. I thought it was weird that they put lemons in our drinks then put lids on them. What did we talk about? Nigeria. That's the only talking point I remember - because the guy was from Nigeria. I remember facts and visual information but I'm terrible and retaining conversations, because they usually seem to fall into the category of "mundane every-day life facts" - my mind throws them into that recycle bin and it gets emptied pretty often.

My cousin came to visit us recently. What do I remember from our conversations? 1) He flies helicopters 2) I analyzed the symmetry of his face; his left side is his better side.

Last edited:
Reactions: That Girl
These are the types of things I notice:

*How someone could jump from point A to point not-even-remotely-related - My brain makes weird connections already and I'm good at filling in blanks.
*Words - They fascinate me, I want to know how you speak.
*Colors - as [MENTION=2635]Melkor[/MENTION] said, I pick out things that are slightly abnormal to the majority. I am the first to ask, "Does it bother you that there is a bit of green at the bottom corner of that wall?" when someone shows off their freshly painted living room. I'll probably trail off with something akin to "I understand that the drapery hides it rather effectively, but..."
*Clothes - Tags sticking out, stains, matching, mismatch, mismatching to match, attempt, accident, attempting to make it look like an accident. I can tell.
*Smells - This is especially true when they bug me.
*Someone thinking - For some reason I always catch when the wheels are turning in someone's head and if I know them I can usually guess the conclusion.
*Mannerisms - If you have a tendency to pull on your left sleeve before you tell someone a secret, I've noticed it.
*Imperfections - Whether in my own looks or yours. I know you have that weird scar above your left eye. I'm aware that you have a well placed layer of cover up over the pimple that was beginning to show when I saw you last night.
*Grammar/Punctuation/Spelling - I notice when I do it, even if I may be too lazy to fix it, so I definitely catch when you do. My new thing is subject-verb agreement. I always twitch a little when someone uses 'they' as a singular. Interestingly, I do it all the time. I am most likely a hypocrite, and that person I called out, they hate me.
*Lies - Usually, I know when people are lying. I don't say anything a lot of the time, but I file it away for future knowledge.
*Surroundings/Arrangement - I suppose these two areas could encompass the point I made about color but I'll just keep them separate. I notice what people are doing and how things are placed. It's a common thing for me to put things back into their place/where I think they should go in stores when I'm looking through things. At Barnes and Noble I'm always rearranging the minibooks they have in line at the checkout. Be aware that if you do something strange around me I will somehow see it and snicker silently, but I won't point out your mistake to everyone around.
*Sounds - I eaves drop. I'm sorry.

There's a lot to add but the list seems too long and I have to get to the things I WILL NEVER NOTICE EVER NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY TO MAKE ME:

*Your feelings on a subject - you're going to have to tell me because I don't know whether you like it or not. I'm sorry it's so painfully obvious but I'm at a loss and no, I am not going to be able to guess.
*My things - If something I own goes missing and it isn't one of the belongings that gives me a sense of nostalgia or I hold close then I won't notice that it's gone until I think to use it. I only find this odd because everything in my room is always in the same place and I notice everybody else' things.
*Sounds (Contradiction) - As incongruous as it may seem, this is unconditionally true when someone is trying to get my attention, or talking to me directly when my attention is completely engrossed elsewhere. If I'm reading a book and you say my name, I will not hear you.
*What people think of me - This is in relation to feelings. I don't know, can't guess, don't get it. I am told that there are many people who have crushes on me or that I am liked as a person by the majority. I don't see this.

With emotions and feelings yeah. Otherwise I am a total airhead. I'm always so focused on my thoughts I don't pay attention to my surrondings. Sometimes I pull up in my driveway, and I'm like wtf, I don't remember how I got home.

I get really creeped out when people know stuff about me who I'm not close to or I've never even met. Everywhere I go people say hi your so and so's wife/daughter in law/mom right? Weird.

Sometimes I pull up in my driveway, and I'm like wtf, I don't remember how I got home.
xD I do this sometimes. Sometimes I'll be driving home from work and suddenly become cognizant of where I am, and realize I don't really remember anything between where I am and my office, then wonder how I didn't wreck. I suppose I was functioning on 100% in-the-moment sensory input while my mind wandered off to magical unicorn places. Er*HRM* uh... Really buff unicorns. With swords for horns. Battling. Blood everywhere.

Whew... close one.

Last edited: