Norwich

insistent
Donor
May 20, 2010
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
2 so/sp/sx
How much does your sense of duty influence your actions? Have you ever denied yourself something fulfilling because of the potential, negative impact on someone you care about? When looking back, do you regret your decision? Or are you proud of those times when your sense of duty influenced your behavior, even though it was personally damaging?

Reactions: Gaze
While I have a sense of duty, I can't say that it's ever resulted in a negative outcome for me or those close to me. For instance, since I believe as a U.S. citizen that it's my duty (as well as every other U.S. citizen) to vote, I'll vote. The biggest inconvenience in that duty is setting aside the time to fulfill it. Same thing with jury duty and other things I'm expected to do as a citizen, really. My feelings are mostly neutral when I look back on those instances, since they've yet to be pivotal.

I have no sense of duty since I value people very little. I only live to further my own interests.

Not really. If you knew me in real life, you'd hate me.
I don't think I could ever hate anyone.. let alone you. I might pity you a bit in your teenage angst and try to understand you and that's the best I can do.

not particularly. exception is when i'm working, i strongly dislike being the weak link in a group where everyone is working hard.

I have no sense of duty since I value people very little. I only live to further my own interests.

No I don't think so. You're probably very young and are still coming to know yourself. I think that this whole thing you're doing here is a part of that process for you.

Am I inspired by a sense of duty? No. Am I driven by a sense of duty? Oh yea big time. If my sense of duty kicks in, I can not shirk that or else it will tear my up inside (worse and worse over time) until I do it. If I fail to meet it or flat out don't do it, I will hurt from it for a very long time (sometimes more then a year). If I have a job, a project, or something that I simply feel obligated to do, I have to do it. I can not not do it.

If I give my honor. I am bound to uphold it as to fault everything else not held at that standard.

No. I don't even like the word duty, it makes me feel kinda icky and I associate it with the SJ members of my family somehow. I feel responsible for certain things but I never feel I have a duty to do anything.

I’m very conscious of the formation of motivations. And I can be inspired by a sense of duty. But likewise ignore one imposed upon me. This is hardest when I’m redefining my allegiance in some way, and learning to say no to something I used to say yes to, or yes to something I used to say no to.

Last edited:
A few days ago this girl I know asked me if I ever feel obligated
to reciprocate material gifts from men sexually.

When she asked me this I honestly just wanted to punch her in
the face. I was deeply offended. One should never feel obligated
to do anything for someone. This goes against the grain of nature.
That whole first pillar of evolution thing Darwin talks about, yeah
that's the one. Unless it is your offspring, naturally, and only then
if there are enough means to support everyone. Oh society how
you squash out our barbarism and try to force us into civilized banter.

Maybe would I feel the need to justify something but never do I
let what others expect from me to lead my life. I used to do this
and it didn't really work that great for me.

I almost feel as though suffering from a constant sense of duty
falls under the symptoms of a couple of mental illnesses. I'm not
one hundred percent sure on this statement, but it definitely is
not healthy to always be tied down by duty. Especially if it is a
vengeful duty.

Reactions: acd
yes, it does. yes to the first, not really to the second, and usually to the third question

Duty is a foul word.

As I understand it not only states that the person in question is obliged to do things they have no want or need to do, but whats more, they don't deserve any incentive or commendments for doing so, because it was their inescapable 'duty'.

Duty is a word used by employers and men that would see other hands dyed red in their place.

I have no duties to anyone or anything. If I help someone it is out of pity, or to statisfy the paranoia of humanity by surrounding myself with allies.

tough to say, im trying to get over this. i witnessed some child abuse first hand, in a way i always felt guilty for it, still do. its stupid really that i should feel guilty, though i did have the means to take the child out of the situation as in take her in a car and just skip town, do the best i could that way til i got caught, it certainly wasn't a logical solution from my standpoint. but i mean my counties DSS is a joke and was called numerous times and did nothing. less than 2 years ago a child in my county died bc of their negligence even after they saw the unsanitary conditions she lived in and let it go.

this bound me to what i considered my duty, raising awareness of child abuse. try to get the public more involved since i'm convinced they are really the only ones who see these things and report them. problem is, i was and still am afraid letting go of this guilt will let this cause fade in me, im essentially afraid that i won't do the best i can if i don't feel guilty.

i try to tell myself it's not true, and i'm trying to let go of it, its just tough to do though, and i still feel myself bringing myself back down if i have too good of a time, so its a work in progress.

Duty is a foul word.

As I understand it not only states that the person in question is obliged to do things they have no want or need to do, but whats more, they don't deserve any incentive or commendments for doing so, because it was their inescapable 'duty'.

^This.

I only do things I don't want to to preserve my self-image. (Not including things I must do to get what I want, of course.) Some of these things may, however, appear to be duty from the outside.

Last edited: