Are you constantly soul searching? | INFJ Forum

Are you constantly soul searching?

I have given up on finding myself. I am me what more is there to know?

"An unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

Now if I had actually accomplished finding myself, wouldn't life be boring as hell?

I don't know if it makes sense to say that we found ourselves. But I will say that I am at peace with myself now. I still learn a lot about myself every day.

Always searching.

I am constantly trying to understand and through that, be at peace and grow.

Every time I think I've found myself, it just turns out to be another layer. Much like an onion, it goes on and on, and it sometimes makes me cry. *Grin.

Searching is second nature, but the older I become the more at peace I feel with myself. I think I'll always be searching to do something better (and to be someone better), but self-improvement isn't a bad thing as long as you *improve.*

Self-searching just for the sake of self-searching is like a stuck tire in mud. The more you rev your engine (search), the deeper you get stuck in the same place (in my not-so-sainted opinion).

Searching because you are at peace with yourself

or searching to be at peace with yourself?

This isn't specific to anyone's post, just a thought that crossed my mind

Well, in the INFJ description, it says that we are constantly re-inventing ourselves, and I think that is possibly one of the most pertinent descriptions of me in the whole article.

I always "want to be" something or someone all the time, like I'm looking for my purpose. If you ask me right now where I want to be in 10 years, I could list off 15 different things and each of them are kinda wild.

Every time I actually get to where I wanted to be, I'm not happy with it and have to pursue something else.

It's a curse really. It's like I can't find something I can be happy doing forever and I think that's what society tells us we should do.

Every time I actually get to where I wanted to be, I'm not happy with it and have to pursue something else.

It's a curse really. It's like I can't find something I can be happy doing forever and I think that's what society tells us we should do.
Sounds like 'career-commit-ophobia... I have that too. Just when I think I've settled myself into a nice cozy little functional niche, my self-meaning evolves and I'm off to finding another purpose of cause to take up. It is an exhausting, but kind of exhilirating existence..

Sounds like 'career-commit-ophobia... I have that too. Just when I think I've settled myself into a nice cozy little functional niche, my self-meaning evolves and I'm off to finding another purpose of cause to take up. It is an exhausting, but kind of exhilirating existence..

Very much so :)

I personally don't feel it's a phobia, at least for myself. I guess it might be for some people. Or maybe it is for me, and the phobia is in fearing my own greatness more than anything else.

For anyone interested in astrology, I find it interesting that there are 6-7 planets in retrograde in my natal chart. I've read that people who have a none or only a few planets in retrograde in their natal chart are much more likely to find a set course in life and follow it, versus those with many planets in retrograde. That speaks true for me.

I do agree that it's exhilirating. I'm a fan of variety :D

You know, I might have actually found a career that will ultimately support this lifestyle. I'm in the military, I really don't like it, but if I stay for 20 years I'll get paid until the day I die. This can fund my constantly changing jobs and traveling around the world.

Yes I am thank you for asking :)

You know, I might have actually found a career that will ultimately support this lifestyle. I'm in the military, I really don't like it, but if I stay for 20 years I'll get paid until the day I die. This can fund my constantly changing jobs and traveling around the world.
That is rad.
Someday, I hope to be a nomadic bum... maybe form a tribe with like-minds, live collectively kind of like gypsies..
Your plan sounds pretty awesome. Traveling the world, to me, seems to go hand in hand with soul searching and finding oneself. I don't know if I will ever see myself as truly actualized if I don't travel.

Always

Yes I am always soul searching, and even after I have spent who knows how many hours reaching the point where there is absolutely nothing else to know (or so it seems), I go even deeper. I always go deeper.

I want to stop or at least slow down.

I am a constant soul-searcher. I've been trying to work on this habit for the last few years, as I've come to realize that a) it's become repetitive and b) it's a way for me to shut out the world when that might not be such a good idea.

And after all, the development of a healthy INFJ should be moving toward a more focused and externally-oriented perspective (moving from Introverted Intuition to Extroverted Sensing).

I found myself not all that long ago. Now the struggle is to lose myself to something bigger...

I'm always soul searching. But it's not a vague "hey, what's over here?" kind of thing. I'm always searching to improve, to understand, to resolve, to heal. Kind of like what Arbygil said. :)