Anyone ever feel like you're happier with your dog (or cat)? | INFJ Forum

Anyone ever feel like you're happier with your dog (or cat)?

Pixie In Repose

Regular Poster
Mar 27, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Its tough being single and dating can be a nightmare. Sometimes its more comfortable to snuggle up with Fido or Fluffy and forget about your relationship woes. My dog is an amazing little being that truly seems to have an endless capacity for love and affection. Although I would like to find the right person one of these days, for now, I'm glad to have my sweet animal companion. I recently read Wesley the Owl about a woman who develops an incredible relationship with an injured owl whom she saves by giving him a home. Anyone have special animal friends in their life?

KITTY!

I can't be sad with his cute little face and goofy actions ^_^

I wish I had a cat or dog. I just have a snake, and he's about as boring as I am.

There are many times when I find it is preferable to spend time with my dog rather than with other people. :)

And I'm glad I'm done with the whole dating thing-- it can be fun and exhilarating, but man, it's exhausting!!

Reactions: Ria
Yes, for me I love animals for company, although I don't have any, but I know of someone who has a cat that I see often, so I love to spend time with it. Animals just always seem to make me feel better.

My cat can and does make me feel better when I am upset. It's simply an unconditional love.

I miss my old cat "Skid", he was very protective of me, it was amazing. He would also walk along side me through the city where I grew up, and he would hike with me in the mountains too. I don't know what it was, maybe because I raised him from a very tiny kitten, and fed him special formula through an eye dropper.

I remember going back to my parent's home for my 21st birthday. I brought my Skid with me, and as he always slept across the top of my pillow (kind of on my head) and he used to kneed my scalp with his claws and purr. I never minded him doing that, I just put up with it, lol. My mother came into my old room the next morning and I was in a deep sleep. Apparently Skid lifted his head and growled at her but she ignored him and came in. He ran to the bottom of my old bed and jumped on her and attacked her. She had to grab him by the scruff of his neck and unpick him from her clothing and skin and she threw him back on the bed, turned and darted out of my room! I slept through the entire thing, but my mom told me about it after I woke up. She showed me her arms and her chest, all covered with bite marks and claw marks!

Unfortunately my former neighbour poisoned my dear cat, but we had some awesome times.

Now I have a dog. She is a female Ikeda, and she is an alpha female. She's been a great source of comfort and security especially during the time I was a single mother. She's great with my kids, and with anyone who I let in the house. She's always taken her cues from me in a way, and I'm not sure why when it should be the other way around in my mind. As long as someone is good by me, then that person is good by my dog.

I've had several cats in my life, and that odd common theme was always there with them and I. They would always walk with me at least for a ways on my journey, but I think Skid stood out the most because he never went back home half way along by himself. He always went home with me.

I guess I kind of missed the point of this thread, sorry. But yea, my pets have always been more loving that my partners in the way of understanding me and knowing just what I need.

(I felt I needed to say this afer reading what I wrote. What I have posted here reads as an exaggeration but it's actually not. This is very true, believe it or not.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey Wolf
I dont have a dog or a cat. but I want a dog. always wanted one. I was also close to one of my old tuition teacher's dog. he would sit beside me as i did my work and I would give him snacks when no one was looking hehe

he always accompanied me and looked for me even though there were many other people there :m027:

I miss that old pooch haha been a long time since I went back there

Oh, I know I would feel happier. That's the reason why I don't have any pets. I don't feel like settling just yet.

As much as I'd LOVE to have a pet again, I don't think it would replace the love and affection of a human companion. Sometimes, all I need to make me feel better is a good conversation. I need the intellectual stimuli that only humans can provide. Other times I need someone to take care of ME, make me dinner, give me a message, or just hold me. Which is something I can't see an animal capable of doing.

I used to have a pet snail. I called it Bobby the Snail. :becky: Watching it crawling slowly along my window sill, made me smile. The simplicity in animals and their lives can make YOUR life a lot more bearable. But it's not enough.

Back at home (my parents' house up in the mountains), we have four dogs (two Beagles: Abby & Daisy; two Black Labs: Hugs & Kisses). We got the Beagles when I was a teenager because I adore Beagles and I always wanted one.

My parents didn't get the Black Labs until after I had moved out. The Black Labs were rescued from an animal shelter. They had been severely abused as puppies. The smaller one, Kisses, has a permanent scar of a cross that someone carved into her stomach when she was a puppy. Needless to say, these girls did not get through that situation without a few "ticks."

All Kisses wants in the world is love and food. Love me, feed me. The only time she'll ever get bitchy is if you somehow interfere with either of those two things. And she's never out of line with people, just the other dogs. She can be a royal brat to the Beagles.

Hugs is different. Hugs is special. Out of all the dogs, I have this deep connection with Hugs. Hugs is quiet. She's a big beautiful dog, an almost perfect looking Lab in my opinion. She is the Protector as well as the Giver. She babies her little sister Kisses. No matter how much food we give them, Hugs always leaves a little bit of food in her bowl for Kisses (they have their own bowls). If anyone messes with Kisses or gets on Kisses bad side, watch out, because Hugs can get vicious in the blink of an eye.

She's extremely protective of her people as well. My mom is her mama. She doesn't do well with visitors. It's been a long process. But she does really well with me. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm an extremely relaxed and calm person so it makes her more comfortable with me. I'm also tall, so that helps.

Hugs is racist. She doesn't like short people, she doesn't like brown people, she doesn't like men. So I'm guessing the person that abused her was a short Mexican/black man. Her prejudice is what worries us most, though. She has snapped a couple times. My sister's ex-boyfriend (short Mexican guy) was not allowed to so much as breathe in our house without Hugs jumping up and barking at him. She has also severely injured one of our Beagles. Kisses and Daisy (Beagle) started getting into it over food and Daisy lunged at Kisses... but Hugs was faster. Hugs picked up Daisy by her neck and flung her against the wall. She had some deep punctures on her neck and had to get stitches.

Fortunately, my parents live in the mountains in a pretty secluded area. They don't have a lot of visitors, so of all places, this is pretty much an ideal home for Hugs. But her aggressive temperament is a worry.

It makes me sad because I really really love that dog and I know my mom does, too. Hugs is our guardian. She always checks on us to make sure we're okay throughout the day. She's the only dog that will give you a kiss if you ask her, too (and they're the perfect kisses, too, just a little lick on the nose, no sloppy dog slobber all over your face), she loves getting her back and head rubbed, but as soon as Kisses comes in (as she inevitably does) to get pet, she'll back out to let her sister get the love.

I've never felt the kind of attachment I feel to this dog before. It's amazing to me the personalities all four of our dogs have and how different they each are. I really hope that one day I have a dog like her for my kids and my family, just without the aggression issues.

I plan to be a crazy cat lady when I'm older. So yes. I get on with cats very well :)

My cat (Ginger) is amazing. He's a definite INTJ personality (yes, he's got such a strong personality) and he prefers being with me than anyone else. He sits with me all the time and nuzzles my hand when he wants to be stroked. But he won't sit on me XD He never has and never will. If I try to put him on me, he just gets off and looks angry.
He's an amazing friend :)

Dogs don't live long enough.

Yes! So true, no matter what time or what day my little chihuahua is always happy to see me! I love him so much and am so upset that he has to stay with my parents house. When I moved out I missed him so much. I though about him everyday and cried. After a few months when I visited he was so happy to see me. It'd be nice if people would be as kind as our pets.

ofcourse animals make us happier, not just dogs and cats. Some people prefer certain dog or cat breeds, others dont have preferance and love em all.
I had a tiny pet turtle once, and goldfish temporarily.

Reactions: aeon and Wyote