Anyone care to Type the Twilight characters? | INFJ Forum

Anyone care to Type the Twilight characters?

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
Since there is a lot of hype about it and I've only seen the movies, what do you think about the characters' types. Any guesses?

Bella:
Edward:
The rest of the Cullins:
Jacob:
The rest of the pack:
Bella's Dad:

Also, any guesses on the writer's type? She's clearly not an INFJ, since all INFJs know that vampires don't sparkle. (That's an in joke about how INFJs form very strong opinions about the inner workings of things that aren't even real.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit
Bella: INFP
Edward: ISFJ
The rest of the Cullins: ISFP
Jacob:ENTP
The rest of the pack:ESFP
Bella's Dad:ESTP

Just guessing from the first movie.

Writer's type guess: ESFJ

My guess is that the author (Stephenie Meyer) is an INFP. From what I've read of her work, she's very much an Fi type, and her zany notions about how vampires, werewolves, and the like work are clearly Ne. I mean, how could anything but Ne come up with glittering vampires?

images

Therefore, the main character Bella is very likely written as an INFP, seeing as the writer seems to be pouring herself into the character. (I would assume this is a common trait with IxFP writers.) She's emotional, open to possibilities, non-judgemental, and the only thing about her that isn't INFP is that she's got a lot more guts - I'm sure because in the author's perfect world, she does too.

images

Charlie Swan, the dad, is most likely based on the author's own dad. He's one of the more genuine characters in the show, and he's very clearly an ISTP. The ISTP / INFP lack of ability to synchronize is legendary, and perfectly portrayed in this film. No doubts here. The character is far too genuine not to be based strongly on a real life person that the author knows as intimately as a child knows a parent.

images

Edward is clearly written as an INTJ - which from what I understand is the INFPs kryptonite. No suprirses here if the writer is egocentric and writing a romance novel, then obviously the male lead is going to be her 'ultimate guy'.

images

Alice -the psychic- Cullin is written as a wierd mix of ENFP and INFJ, which comes off to me as the writer knowing an INFJ but only really understanding that INFJ's ENFP side, or worse, simply forcing her own sensibilities into the character because she (the writer) can't grasp how INFJ minds work, in which case she's mocking INFJs with this character (unlikely for an INFP to do). I think it's most likely the former. She knows an INFJ in real life who does a lot of that 'psychic' stuff, but wants her to loosen up and be more like this character. Clearly Twilight is the INFP author's fantasy world where everything is as she wants it.

images

Jacob is clearly an ISTP. He sees things as they are, lives in the now, fixes things, is quiet, and generally detached emotionally. He's the reliable guy that women seem to always look at as a back up plan in case the 'ultimate guy' doesn't pan out, and I doubt there is another type that would fill that role in the INFP author's mind better than an ISTP - especially when her real life father is likely this type. Freud would be proud.

images

Jasper... the crazy one that seems alarmingly close to coming out of the closet... is probably the least likely to have any real life character reference other than an ENTP that annoyed the author when she was younger and she still has no idea why.

images
images
images
images
images
images

And then there's the villain of the story - Victoria. I have to stop a moment and swoon over the actress here... (Rachelle Lefevre). Rowr... okay... where was I? Oh yes, this chick is CLEARLY based on the INFP author's ENFJ worst nightmare in real life. It is clear that this character is based on an ENFJ who found fault with something the INFP did (and of course INFPs never do anything wrong) and when the ENFJ tried to correct the behavior, the INFP decided she was a villain and was out to get her. This character has very clear ENFJ traits. She doesn't quit. She bases all of her motivations on her ideals. And, she's a flaming bad ass. If you doubt this character was based on an ENFJ, you don't know one, heh.

(You guys didn't seriously think I'd bring this up and not turn it into a fairly serious discussion about Jungian archetypes did you?)

Last edited:
No. We're not doing this.

Slant doesn't approve.

What are you talking about, you always agree with me you geeze.

By the way, I'm basing my notions that the author is an INFP on what happened when my INFP writer friend wrote a story where I was a main character. I was amazed at how accurately she described my actions and how completely inaccurately she described my motivations.

The INFP in question used everyone in her real life that she had feelings for - good bad or otherwise - as character reference for her stories, and the Twilight series seems to be written in a very similar manner.

The thing that stands out the most is how the respective authors both ran with crazy tangents for characters based on people in their real lives that they didn't understand - but the stories showed an incredible amount of depth and insight into how the authors feel about their respective muses.

Bella: Human
Edward: Vampire
The rest of the Cullins: Vampires
Jacob: Warewolf
The rest of the pack: Warewolves
Bella's Dad: Human

Reactions: Sithious
I approve, and will gladly admit to having enjoyed this guilty pleasure.
<3 sparkly "teenage" vampires with fast cars.

The only one I like is Carlisle.

Jacob is pretty dang sexy, too...but a lot of people don't like him past a certain point, a point in the book that I never reached because Bella made me want to claw my eyes out.

Great assessment Von!

Quin, very funny!

No wonder Jacob lights my fire more than Edward.

Everyone thinks Edward is so cute with his whole moody-sparkliness, but puh-lease.
I don't even like diamonds.

NEXT!

Bella: Human
Edward: Vampire
The rest of the Cullins: Vampires
Jacob: Warewolf
The rest of the pack: Warewolves
Bella's Dad: Human

You're wrong.
Jacob and the pack are shapeshifters, not werewolves.
Not that...I...would know...

Reactions: jyrffw54
You're wrong.
Jacob and the pack are shapeshifters, not werewolves.
Not that...I...would know...

Does that mean they can change into other stuff?

Does that mean they can change into other stuff?

You're making me feel like I'm a teenage fangirl with posters.

But the answer is yes, theoretically they could, but they only change into wolves because their shape-shifting abilities are limited to what their environment necessitates. Werewolves do not change at will; only with the lunar cycle. The Quileutes who change can do so whenever they please.

Again, not that I would know.