Ambiverts | INFJ Forum

Ambiverts

Io-

Jul 26, 2010
MBTI
infj
I have done numerous personality tests and am now completely convinced that I am an INFJ, but the one thing that constantly comes up is that I sit smack in the middle (49%, 51% etc) of 3 of the 4 catagories. It was because of the closeness that I ended up doing so many tests but it constantly comes up the same. Does this mean that I am an ambivert? I would love to know if anyone else in a similar situation and what does it mean to them?:m075:

I come up just slightly introverted and just slightly a feeler... I always chalked up the borderline extravertism to having lots of siblings and ADHD, but then, NF's love talking and you have to have people to have a conversation...

In your case, it could just mean you are well developed in many functions... I always came up ENTJ on the tests, but reading the descriptions, I'm a total and clear INFJ...

Thanks for that. Well rounded sounds good. I had read on someones blog recently that they thought it was a sign of someone who likes to sit on the fence. I think that its the opposite -more a case of not wanting to generalize. That there are so many variations, so many different facets to life, that you want to treat every situation independently as it comes. Does that make sense?

Yes, there is a good chance you are an ambivert. I think what you really are is an introvert but you have honed your extraverted side well. We all lead different lives and certain circumstances could prompt some introverts to adopt extraverted roles.

I come up just slightly introverted and just slightly a feeler... I always chalked up the borderline extravertism to having lots of siblings and ADHD...

I've often thought that some seeming extroverts with ADHD are really introverts with less impulse control. When given stimulant medications (which improve pre-frontal cortex executive functioning and, thus, impulse control) these "extroverts" revert back to their true introverted selves.

I have done numerous personality tests and am now completely convinced that I am an INFJ, but the one thing that constantly comes up is that I sit smack in the middle (49%, 51% etc) of 3 of the 4 catagories. It was because of the closeness that I ended up doing so many tests but it constantly comes up the same. Does this mean that I am an ambivert? I would love to know if anyone else in a similar situation and what does it mean to them?:m075:

This isn

Cool. Thanks. Appreciate the help. Will read through it. :)

The idea of being an ambivert is in conflict with cognitive function theories and MBTI. Thus, you can not be this by definition.

That being said if you were to look at "classical" extroversion and introversion there is an ambivert catagory, to which I would fall into. In cognitive function theories though I am certainly an introvert. I have studies additional personality theories to which I am an extrovert.

I've often thought that some seeming extroverts with ADHD are really introverts with less impulse control. When given stimulant medications (which improve pre-frontal cortex executive functioning and, thus, impulse control) these "extroverts" revert back to their true introverted selves.

this is my life.
I HATE myself when I don't take my medication.
I also become extroverted when I go to costco. Though I feel that in this case I revert to my full estp shadow function

The idea of being an ambivert is in conflict with cognitive function theories and MBTI. Thus, you can not be this by definition.

That being said if you were to look at "classical" extroversion and introversion there is an ambivert catagory, to which I would fall into. In cognitive function theories though I am certainly an introvert. I have studies additional personality theories to which I am an extrovert.
Right. This is because tests aren't accurate(the psyche doesn't work in percentages) and E/I was originally not supposed to be a testable dichotomy. E/I is supposed to determine whether a function is introverted or extraverted, not a person. However, MBTI asserts otherwise.

Psychological definitions of extroversion, introversion and ambiversion refer to a person's general energy level, sociability and openness.

I also become extroverted when I go to costco.
:tongue:

Reactions: Arsal