Am I INTJ? INFJ? Something else entirely? Please help. :) | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Am I INTJ? INFJ? Something else entirely? Please help. :)

I want to know why I do what I do, why I want knowledge and meaning.

Some of those things may require life experience to come up with personal answers to those questions. There may not be an objective side of it; you may want to know because it is important to you. As for meaning, does the objective system that you currently use not provide you with the meaning that you are looking for?

I think you are asking these questions because you are human, are curious, and are introspective. The why to our actions can be important to understanding more about ourself. Instead of asking why here, ask why not. Then try brainstorming. (ex. Q: Why wouldn't you want knowledge and meaning? A: Because knowledge and meaning to me are (an answer goes here, but let's use important for this example). They are important to me because they give my life (another answer goes here)).

I want to know why I'm frequently restless and unsatisfied with myself, despite, from an objective standpoint, having done very well in life so far. I want to know why I sometimes feel a wellspring of joy bubble up in my, just from reflecting on the amazing nature of the universe.

Are you enjoying life to the fullest? Are you doing what you love to do in your job? How could you realistically improve upon yourself? Do you feel valued and appreciated in what you do?

When you think about the universe and feel that joy, what are you thinking about it that excites you? Is it the possibilities, the order/chaos in it, the people, the things we have yet to learn, or something else?

That's interesting... I confess myself extremely skeptical of the possibility that I am ENFP, most especially the extroverted bit. I do not feel recharged by being around people, and need several hours of solitude every single day or I become very perturbed. One of the greatest experiences of my life was when I went a week during a trip to Ireland without talking to a single human being, even once...

Still, your explanation is engrossing, and I'll consider it, even though the profiles don't seem to fit me in the least. I'm curious as to how you were able to use the results to eliminate INTP, though, given that the dominant and secondary traits are there in full.

Thank you for the input, and I'll think about what you've said. :)

As mentioned, I was purely analyzing the results from this test, and nothing else. Please keep that in consideration as you read what follows. :)

While the results contained the possibility of INTP dominant and secondary, the rest of the results were not congruent. Only the results from these particular test results rule out the likelihood of INTP, not the possibility.

View attachment 1237

Clearly, you tested strong on Ti and Ne. My deductions are purely based on the results of this quiz and the theories behind cognitive function and personality type. The results from this particular self assessment test may not be indicative of your actual function preferences for a multitude of reasons. Because I don't know you, I can only analyze the results.

Here are a few links that might prove a good litmus for the possibility that you are an INTP.

http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

http://www.murraystate.edu/secsv/fye/INTP.htm

http://www.purdue.edu/usp/pdfs/mbtiresources/INTP.pdf

However, if you think you might be more F than an INTJ, INTP would be moving in the opposite direction. INTPs have Ti as their dominant function and Fe as their inferior. With an overall F score being your largest, I would be less likely to think this is the case. Ne secondary can be quite indecisive when things are important, and the more they concentrate on something, the more likely they are to confuse themselves. This might be what is happening your case. However, INFP is F dominant, which was your largest overall score, and N secondary, which was your second largest overall score.

You mentioned that getting away from everyone in Ireland was one of your greatest moments. That could have been a very Fi attuned moment - however full Fi dominance would indicate INFP, which could be congruent with your self descriptions and my interpretation of your test results.

Your test results leaned ENFP in my opinion. However, because you once assumed yourself to be an INTJ (a type that INFPs frequently admire) but now strongly feel a kinship to INFJ (along with Lurker's assumption that you are an INFJ) and your results leaned toward ENFP (strong Ne and Fi), it is very possible that you're actually an INFP, the most common mistype for INFJs. This would certainly explain the strong lean toward Ti, because as a male (who self assess leaning toward T functions) with Fi dominance (which causes people to sometimes feel more strongly than is the case) it would be very easy to mistake and self assess an amplified Ti.

Here are a few links that might prove a good litmus for the possibility that you are an INFP.

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

http://www.murraystate.edu/secsv/fye/INFP.htm

http://www.purdue.edu/usp/pdfs/mbtiresources/INFP.pdf

Assessing your reactions and your results, it is my opinion that you are most likely an INFP, or an INTP. Give those sites a look and let me know what you think. I am interested in your opinion.

Hmm... INFP is doubtful, though not nearly no doubtful as ENFP. The first thing that jumps out to me as wrong is that the INFP is incapable of, or at least doesn't like, impersonal analysis, which is something I gravitate towards instantly when trying to solve a problem. The same with the claim that, in a conflict, they don't care much about who is right or wrong, but rather on feelings in the conflict; this is not true for me. In argument or debate, my "F" pretty much disappears, only to reappear after the conflict has resolved itself. This was the primary reason I had originally assigned myself INTJ, rather than INFJ; in the most stressful situations, I rely on my "T" function, for the most part.

INTP is not a perfect match, but having read all the profiles, it's probably the best fit for me after the INxJs. The main weakness in this match is, again, the "F" factor.

I'm inclined most, at this point, to think that the functional test did not serve as a good measurement in my case, most likely because of a weakness or lack of objectivity in my self-evaluation.

BTW that same test Von Hase linked in this thread indicated me an INTJ. I've also scored ENFJ at some point in the past. And some research shows that test reliability is not that great indeed. So how do I know my own type?

I'm pretty sure of my I,N and J components. But T/F? The answer comes from temperament theory. NFs are called idealists or catalysts and their greatest aspiration in life is to be authentic and unique. NTs are called rationals or theorists and their greatest value is knowledge. In my previous posts I mentioned that I really admire intelligence and use it a lot but when I compare it to being authentic the latter is far more important to me. Being wise is more important than being intelligent. From here some of my greatest dreams arise: to influence and empower people around me in whatever means necessary. In that way I see myself fulfilled in life. Knowledge just for it's own sake means nothing to me.

Vicky has a detailed article to help distinguish INFJ from INTJ (there's a nice video there).

Last edited:
Ultimately, the truest judge of your type is yourself. I have only shared my theories based on what was represented. You're the one who knows how you think. If you're curious enough to find out, research the cognitive functions and decide for yourself.

Here are some links that you might find very helpful.

http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/

http://greenlightwiki.com/jung-exegesis/

(I just checked the links are the servers were down. If that's the case, just check them later.)

Sorry for the very long delay in replying; was on vacation with my LDR girlfriend (an INTJ) for two weeks. Incidentally, she became convinced that I am INFJ over the course of this vacation.

BTW that same test Von Hase linked in this thread indicated me an INTJ. I've also scored ENFJ at some point in the past. And some research shows that test reliability is not that great indeed. So how do I know my own type?

I'm pretty sure of my I,N and J components. But T/F? The answer comes from temperament theory. NFs are called idealists or catalysts and their greatest aspiration in life is to be authentic and unique. NTs are called rationals or theorists and their greatest value is knowledge. In my previous posts I mentioned that I really admire intelligence and use it a lot but when I compare it to being authentic the latter is far more important to me. Being wise is more important than being intelligent. From here some of my greatest dreams arise: to influence and empower people around me in whatever means necessary. In that way I see myself fulfilled in life. Knowledge just for it's own sake means nothing to me.

Vicky has a detailed article to help distinguish INFJ from INTJ (there's a nice video there).
I can't imagine being without the core values of both temperaments, though I do agree that wisdom is more important than intelligence, if that means anything.

I have seen the article, and the video. To be honest, that audio/video irritates me a lot; it seems so fake, especially the way she keeps going "interesting, interesting...". It's like really bad acting.

Ultimately, the truest judge of your type is yourself. I have only shared my theories based on what was represented. You're the one who knows how you think. If you're curious enough to find out, research the cognitive functions and decide for yourself.

Here are some links that you might find very helpful.

http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/

http://greenlightwiki.com/jung-exegesis/

(I just checked the links are the servers were down. If that's the case, just check them later.)
Please don't think I was upset by your analysis, or offended. I really appreciate your input, I just don't think that particular test was very useful in my case, as the results don't match my observations at all.

Thank you for the links; I'll definitely check them out.

I could've written your first post myself...I plan on keeping an eye on this thread, it might shine some light into my INFJ/INTJ dichotomy.

Total INTJ - not an INFJ

Based on your opening remarks, I vote you totally are an INTJ, not an INFJ.