Abortion | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Abortion

I'm curious as to what peoples views are as to if they believe that aborting a child with downs is ok or not because on subjects such as that the lines seem to be a bit blurrier....hmm...well maybe not blurrier but there seems to be more allowences, something similar to what barnabas said about aborting rape babies would be justifiable.

i'm curious about that too, i think it's a question of subjective vs. objective quality of life. if a child with downs syndrome is perfectly content with their life which, from an outsider's point of view, is sub par, then who's opinion really matters? which one's more true? if a person is in prison but ENJOYS his prison, can it be said to be a prison? it's something like that, that because we're seeing a disabled person from the point of view of our own relative health, we're apt to see the ways in which they're suffering, but from their perspective, they might be just fine. and if that's the case, then aborting a baby with downs syndrome, if the main factor you're taking into account is the child's potential welfare and happiness, should be just as complicated a decision as aborting a healthy baby.
though if you're taking into account the parent's/other's welfare also, then you probably could more readily argue that having a sick child wouldn't be worth it. hard to say really~

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what peoples views are as to if they believe that aborting a child with downs is ok or not because on subjects such as that the lines seem to be a bit blurrier....hmm...well maybe not blurrier but there seems to be more allowences, something similar to what barnabas said about aborting rape babies would be justifiable. My stance on that one is that if the child couldn't live a healthy life, that is to say, if the child would be in constant pain or could never hope to at least a semi normal life....and ok before the word normal gets jumped on, what I mean like that is the child wouldn't be able to keep up with primary school level of education and would need constant care.

If I had downs, I would've wanted that my parents aborted me.
I've also told all my close relatives, that if I ever get into a coma or am paralyzed heavily, just pull the plug.

But then again, every time I see someone with downs, it brightens up my day :)

Stripping rights from a life with disabilities or due to circumstances would not be a very plausible argument (In terms of terminating life) considering it is about human rights and disabilities don't really make them less human. Unless of course you consider disabled people less human, which does seem more common than one would think.

If you make the argument that there are exceptions as such and that quality of life will be lessened for one who is disabled, then at that point one must also take into account children that will be born to unfit families or circumstance.

Stripping rights from a life with disabilities or due to circumstances would not be a very plausible argument (In terms of terminating life) considering it is about human rights and disabilities don't really make them less human. Unless of course you consider disabled people less human, which does seem more common than one would think.

If you make the argument that there are exceptions as such and that quality of life will be lessened for one who is disabled, then at that point one must also take into account children that will be born to unfit families or circumstance.

I was talking about myself though.
Of course, I'm not disabled now, and I might be happy in that situation.

I was born a few months too early, and now this thought popped in my head:
'What if I've been mentally retarded all this time without noticing it myself?'

Guys, be honest with me.

I was talking about myself though.
Of course, I'm not disabled now, and I might be happy in that situation.

I was born a few months too early, and now this thought popped in my head:
'What if I've been mentally retarded all this time without noticing it myself?'

Guys, be honest with me.

I like shiny things. :D

I think this is why we hear so many stories of parents killing their disabled children. They want to end their suffering. People point fingers and call it murder but what kind of life are you living if you're stuck in a wheel chair, can barely communicate and you can't even live for yourself?

We're so caught up in keeping things and people alive and sometimes we do it for our own selves instead of putting animals and people out of their misery. I don't think people should endure horrible suffering or a very low quality of life just because we think it is wrong to "terminate" them.

Oh goodness, that's the only channel that my college will have on their TVs.

Yeah, well I'm not even an American.
I just saw their report on Vonnegut's death and other reports.
They seem quite biased.

All mass media corporations deserve a place in hell, but Fox news deserves a special place in hell.

All mass media corporations deserve a place in hell, but Fox news deserves a special place in hell.

Just like you have a special place in my heart <3

(I want to bring some love in this thread.)

[MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] so what you're saying is, murder is acceptable in the right circumstances?

I'm saying that its never "acceptable" but its an necessary evil of life we cannot escape. In that way all human hands are dirty. even paying taxes we fund murder, if not in execution of convicts or abortions, more directly by enabling our government to massacre in our countries interests.

So is it murder to kill living cells of any kind or just cells that may one day become human?

the latter, is it ok if i shoot the mentally handicapped if they cant survive on their own?

Depends on who you ask.

Exactly, the entire argument of "where does life begin / where does murder start" will never be sorted out into a collective decision.

I err on the side of life, its all murder. I am ok with murder though, sometimes its necessary.