Your "calling" in life | INFJ Forum

Your "calling" in life

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, what is a "calling" in your mind? Do you believe in it? Why or why not? And if do believe you have a calling, what do you think it is?

Ideally, it's a passion. Something you do not out of obligation, but enjoyment; in my mind it combines skills and interest and joy. It goes beyond a simple career or job into something that makes your work truly worthwhile and makes you want to get out of bed in the morning...even if it is a Monday.

what's mine? FIIK

Last edited:
I believe that a calling is a profession or activity that is specifically matched to the unique mix of traits that were placed in us by our Maker. Overall I'm happy with the path that I took, but professionally, I think that I missed my ideal calling. I probably should have gone into the counseling field, and I also think that I would have made a good forester. On the side, I volunteer as a counsellor at a summer camp for disabled adults, and can sense the union of my true purpose, to my time there.

Last edited:
I'm a Healer, Counselor, and Seer.

I don't believe everyone gets a calling, career-wise or spiritually. Though some do.
Those that do are clearly passionate about their role, therefore calling might be measured by the depth of passion?
Idk, but lots of people are stuck in dead-end jobs, and many have no faith.

I do chose to believe I control my own destiny, not the other way around.

I've been thinking about the idea of a calling lately, and I pretty much have the view of it as the one I had as a child. As a young Christian, we were taught that a calling was literally, something God called us to do to serve Him in some capacity. It wasn't something that was always easy or came naturally. It was something you were motivated or inspired to do to serve God but it wasn't something you always felt ready or prepared for. Sometimes, it was easier to resist the calling because it may be quite different from the plans or goals you have for yourself or your life. Sometimes, it may not even be something you want or like to do. You can have a calling but not necessarily embrace it. Some struggle to accept it. Many even run away from it.

Sometimes, I feel called to be where I am, to learn important lessons. But it's not where I'd want to be or be doing. In most cases, I'd rather be doing something else.

If we use the Christian meaning of calling, it's a call by God to do something that has a larger purpose even if it may seem insignificant. It may not be something which immediately uses your talents or strengths. It's often based on a willingness to do what God asks, even if it is difficult, or the most difficult thing you've ever had to do. It may simply be how you live your life which shows your committment to God. So, it's not always a profession or something which is based on talents or gifts. The basis of the calling is that because of the love of God and strength He gives you to bear the responsibilities He's given you, you are able to accomplish this calling or fulfill assignment. So, that's my take.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawr
My calling is to offer love. I want to heal -- I don't know if that's my calling as well, and I want to share joy with others (this is what I've decided my calling to be).
I also want to write and express and heal through words. I want to make this world a better place.

I seem to be drawn to jobs that help other people to become self-sustaining.

I do chose to believe I control my own destiny, not the other way around.

This, definitely.

I think that a lot of what we perceive as our 'destiny' is connected to self-efficacy and the construction of our identities in our own heads and through other people… if a 10 year old hears that they are good at math or science, then they will internalize that and end up thinking it's their destiny to become a scientist or a doctor or a computer expert… but of course, only the people who actually do go into those fields feel confident in saying that they were destined to do it, and the ones who give up and pursue other things are probably less likely to believe it, though I suppose it's not over until you truly do give up forever.

I don't think that I was necessarily destined to do what I'm doing and I would definitely prefer to be doing something else, but I did have something of an epiphany a few years ago and realized that since I was dedicating years of my life to it, I would be better served by taking control of it and putting as much of myself as possible into it as opposed to just breezing through and not really trying-- and as soon as I made that decision I started to really like my job… and eventually was offered opportunities for leadership positions, which also got me the position I have now, where I'm being given time at work to expand my skillset and challenge myself creatively, which is extremely rewarding.

In an ideal world, there would be opportunities to be creative and make progress in every field-- even, or should I say especially the 'lowly' workers in 'dead end' jobs should have opportunities to improve their workplace and express themselves creatively-- disallowing them those opportunities is a huge mistake, because even if it goes wrong, there's still a chance that it could go right and end up making everyone's lives better, and at the very least they will feel more actively invested in their work.

So, what is a "calling" in your mind?

I'd go with a standard definition:

1: a strong inner impulse toward a particular course of action especially when accompanied by conviction of divine influence
2: the vocation or profession in which one customarily engages

Examples:
He had always felt a calling to help others.
He experienced a calling to enter the priesthood.

Do you believe in it? Why or why not?

Yeah, I believe one can sense a special calling to a particular course of action, vocation or profession. Countless numbers of people have reported having that experience throughout history.
And it has been confirmed by their success and/or happiness in doing it.

And if do believe you have a calling, what do you think it is?

I still haven't "heard" it yet, but I'm waiting with anticipation. :D

I once thought my calling was to be an artist.

I believe now that it's something to do with ministry or theology, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm certain it will become clear at some point, and I will be ready. :D

Last edited:
I do believe we have a general theme running throughout our lives. It is usually evidenced through repeated patterns and situations and events that give rise to the life lessons we must learn in order to grow and evolve.This is very subjective experience. I look at the idea of calling as ultimately something you give to the world and humanity at large through your actions, contributions and creativity. This can come in all sorts of forms from doing humanitarian work to creating works of art for viewing pleasure. Your calling is linked with your essence and individuality. I think people confuse calling with duty or obligation.

I think it takes a lifetime to realize one's calling in life if one wishes to see it. It corresponds with our own self evolvement and how much we grew in a lifetime. I think its impossible to realize or see one's calling if you didn't do anything with your life or make any kind of effort into progressing as an individual. Thus you will have nothing to offer.

I seem to be drawn to jobs that help other people to become self-sustaining.

Do you mind if I ask you about this?
If it's ok, I guess I am wondering how you've become self-sustaining yourself, or if it is something you've always inherently expressed/possessed? How do you see others become self-sustaining?

Do you mind if I ask you about this?
If it's ok, I guess I am wondering how you've become self-sustaining yourself, or if it is something you've always inherently expressed/possessed? How do you see others become self-sustaining?

Sure.
I just mean I tend to work for organizations that help people who are struggling to get on their feet.
I worked at a domestic violence shelter, where most of the women who came in were homemakers or very very young mothers or unemployed and needed help getting on their feet.. I currently work for an agency that has all sorts of programs for helping people out of financial hardship and teaching them to have more control of their money and how to locate other resources when they need them.
The job I just got and start in two weeks is marketing an employment program for people with disabilities to local businesses.

Those are the jobs I apply for, probably because I feel useful being a part of something that helps other people become independent and fulfilled. Some people just go through a lot of crisis, and it's hard to straighten things out and get to where they want to be without a little help... or some people need a little help to get on track. It's always been important to me to help other people out and advocate for those needing assistance.

You become self-sustaining by getting out of a situation in which you are not in control of your surroundings or welfare.

I've needed help before.. I've lived out of my car before and had to depend on the kindness of friends and even strangers...

Last edited:
Yeah. I think I know it but going about it is tricky. What will happen as a result? I have no idea yet...

I have none. I seriously don't understand why I exist. No matter how I try to contribute in this world, I either am incapable or no one has any use for it.

I prefer to remain flexible, noncommittal, etc.

Sure do like to write, though. And it comes natural. Seems like a calling if there is one.

So, what is a "calling" in your mind? Do you believe in it? Why or why not? And if do believe you have a calling, what do you think it is?

A "calling": predetermined, innate behavior central to one's sense of self, usually used as an adjective.

I think of the concept of "callings" as an emergent construct from Erikson's fifth through seventh stages of psychosocial development. I do not believe anyone has a "calling" however; it's too simplistic and, imo, something we tell or believe about ourselves to find a sense of direction and peace. You can be innately good at something and use it to benefit someone/yourself, but that doesn't mean it is an integral, predestined part of your being. For example, I happen to be really good at composing and delivering speeches, a few of which have actually helped fund humanitarian organizations in my city, but I would not say it is my calling to do so. Nor would I even consider it a calling to help others. Helping is an extension of my quest to understand the human condition. It is something I do, certainly, but it is not who I am.

I do think that we have drives to fulfill any way we can, preferably using whatever strengths we have (i.e Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs). Accordingly, I believe we choose our paths. Each path is very likely to change and adapt as time flows, just like one's sense of self and identity -- fluid.