You are stranded on an island... | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

You are stranded on an island...

I'm assuming that I won't have access to many modern conveniences and eventually the other items I may carry may not last for long periods of time. So, I would take things which can make, create, or produce other materials. Survival takes creativity especially when there are limited resources.

so uh can i have them then? grinzz
you must be an incredibly resourceful person. are you related to macgyver by any chance??

Reactions: Gaze
1. long knife
2. fish net
3. axe
4. hammer
5. nails
6. refillable lighter
7. pot
8. rope
9. cotton..ehem.. monthly rage phase?
10. cigarettes to last a year? :)

that's a lot of cigarettes to pack in that steamer trunk! (i decided i'd have to quit if i was going to go on the island.)
number 7 - is that for cooking or smoking? grinz

so uh can i have them then? grinzz
you must be an incredibly resourceful person. are you related to macgyver by any chance??

no, not a nature person at all. I'm just thinking about what it would actually be like to stranded. If I became too dependent on modern conveniences, I'd be less motivated to try to use what's around me. It would be easier to focus on what I don't have than what I do.

[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] is taking a cellphone and a gps...and a stove.
she's gonna go down quick i think lol

[MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION] Haha! Yeah. I figure I could find something on the island to smoke if I really wanted to. But I couldn't think of the last thing. And the pot is for cooking ;) I wanted to make the last one a telescope but then I lit a cigarette and that's what came out :)

[MENTION=4855]JGirl[/MENTION] Haha! Yeah. I figure I could find something on the island to smoke if I really wanted to. But I couldn't think of the last thing. And the pot is for cooking ;) I wanted to make the last one a telescope but then I lit a cigarette and that's what came out :)

see i have to go all the way outside to have a cigarette and my attention span is such that i would have forgotten what i was thinking of before i got out there.
ah yes half-heimers.

Flint
Steel Axe
Knife
Waterproof canvas or tarp
Stainless steel pot
Antibiotics
Tanakh (Bible)
The complete works of William Shakespeare
Paper
Pen

If I could actually survive the first year, I'd probably never leave.

But... I DO admit it would be even more of a paradise if Sawyer from LOST were there too... Sigh*

@niffer is taking a cellphone and a gps...and a stove.
she's gonna go down quick i think lol

PROBLEM????

i know my limits, and knowledge is power!!

ok i visualized how i'm going to survive

- i imagine this island is tropical, so not really 4 seasons, so i won't have to worry too much about cold
- if there are no predators on the island, basically nothing i have to worry about except my own stupidity (birds stealing my food or pecking the shit out of me, falling off cliffs, etc)... i can just find a cave to sleep in when it rains, and the rest of the time i can just sleep wherever
- admit it, it's a pretty darn good idea to bring something that can access the wealth of information that is the internet, and also be able to maintain contact with other people. if i don't know how to do something, i can google it and work on the problem immediately. the only reason you're assuming i'm going to suck at survival is because i thought to bring technology with me, which i think is a pretty backwards assumption. i don't think you guys have ever been stuck on an island in the exact same way as this before, even if you've had similar survival experiences, and you're going to have only your own knowledge, whereas with my method my knowledge will become virtually unlimited. i figured out a way to get past the roadblock of bringing small technology -- by bringing a hand-powered generator. and if you think about it, i'm the only one who asked questions about fresh water and stuff, which is pretty huge, like that would be a lot more convenient than having to collect rainwater in a pot -- if you told me that there was no fresh water on the island, i would've brought a reverse osmosis water filter. so there!
- i imagine myself surviving off fruits, nuts, vegetables and roots, shellfish, fish when i eventually manage to catch them, smoking stuff if i find a lot extra, birds eggs if i can manage to steal them. i imagine i'm going to spend 90% of my time doing hunting and eating-related stuff.
- ok i will give it to you that the stove is a dumb idea, but i didn't know it would take that long to crank energy for it. since you mentioned it, i'd rather trade it for something else, maybe like a spare pair of glasses lol.

PROBLEM????

i know my limits, and knowledge is power!!

ok i visualized how i'm going to survive

- i imagine this island is tropical, so not really 4 seasons, so i won't have to worry too much about cold
- if there are no predators on the island, basically nothing i have to worry about except my own stupidity (birds stealing my food or pecking the shit out of me, falling off cliffs, etc)... i can just find a cave to sleep in when it rains, and the rest of the time i can just sleep wherever
- admit it, it's a pretty darn good idea to bring something that can access the wealth of information that is the internet, and also be able to maintain contact with other people. if i don't know how to do something, i can google it and work on the problem immediately. the only reason you're assuming i'm going to suck at survival is because i thought to bring technology with me, which i think is a pretty backwards assumption. i don't think you guys have ever been stuck on an island in the exact same way as this before, even if you've had similar survival experiences, and you're going to have only your own knowledge, whereas with my method my knowledge will become virtually unlimited. i figured out a way to get past the roadblock of bringing small technology -- by bringing a hand-powered generator. and if you think about it, i'm the only one who asked questions about fresh water and stuff, which is pretty huge, like that would be a lot more convenient than having to collect rainwater in a pot -- if you told me that there was no fresh water on the island, i would've brought a reverse osmosis water filter. so there!
- i imagine myself surviving off fruits, nuts, vegetables and roots, shellfish, fish when i eventually manage to catch them, smoking stuff if i find a lot extra, birds eggs if i can manage to steal them. i imagine i'm going to spend 90% of my time doing hunting and eating-related stuff.
- ok i will give it to you that the stove is a dumb idea, but i didn't know it would take that long to crank energy for it. since you mentioned it, i'd rather trade it for something else, maybe like a spare pair of glasses lol.

yes i can see what yo mean about taking technology with you, and as long as you have the access you would have all that info at the fingertips true.
but for myself, i wouldn't count on an outside source like that to survive.
i have to say i ws pleased to see that you put a lot of thought into it, because that's what i was hoping would happen with this thread. knowing the details such as water quality, climate, etc help to form that list of necessities.
no one can say what is the right way to survive, and i find it interesting what people would take along with them and how they would utilize their items.
so, thanks niffer, and when you get back from your island i will buy you a beer and eat my crow grinzzz

[video=youtube;b60OZhrTB6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o&feature=player_embedded[/video]

rofl!

multifunctional military shovel has 18 uses

[video=youtube;b60OZhrTB6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o&feature=player_embedded[/video]

rofl!

multifunctional military shovel has 18 uses
wow that's impressive. ok that's the shovel i'll be taking

Fishing line.
Sewing needles.
Tent.
Virgil.
Hand axe.
Stainless steel pan.
Shovel.
Flint.
Mosquito net.
Twenty-five gallons of super glue.

Imagine that you've been exiled for one year to an uninhabited island.
there are birds, plants, and seafood to eat, and plenty of jungle-like terrain with a large beach surrounding it.

you were dumped on the beach with nothing but the clothes on your back and a steamer trunk containing 10 items.
what are those ten items in your trunk?

my items would be:

shovel
hatchet
knife
flint
large roll of mosquito netting
cooking pot
rope
slingshot
popeil pocket fisherman
diary

Well...I assume a matter/energy conversion system isn't allowed...

water
food
hand saw
flint
diary
pencils
GPS based targeting system
small ballistic missile
thermonuclear warhead
launching platform

If I'm going to be exiled, I might as well take out the guys who exiled me there.

1 top grade Satellite phone and 9 fully charged batteries.

Reactions: christmas
Lighter or fire stick
Mess kit
Large water container

Sleeping bag
Notebook + pen
First aid kit
Survival book

Gun or crossbow
Compass
Survival knife

Well...I assume a matter/energy conversion system isn't allowed...

water
food
hand saw
flint
diary
pencils
GPS based targeting system
small ballistic missile
thermonuclear warhead
launching platform

If I'm going to be exiled, I might as well take out the guys who exiled me there.

thermonuclear warhead and launching platform? yikes you're not kidding around!

Reactions: whytiger