Why don't INFJs fit into society | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why don't INFJs fit into society

I suspect it is merely because there are so few of us. We are 1% of the population. So our general perspective and style of thinking is going to be poorly represented by a generalised social system. Most people rely on this system and thus have no clue how to interact with anything that exists outside of it.

The solution seems to be out of our hands unfortunately, but you don't have to fit in in order to be happy and successful. Quite the opposite in some cases. Being yourself will attract the right people, few as they may be.

This is very simple -- in traditional dichotomies theory, society values extroversion and pragmatism. INFs are hyper-introspective idealists. Not hard to imagine at all.

Both S and T relate to pragmatism, and E relates also to mingling well with others. Society is HUGELY based on pragmatism, not idealism, because it after all is a "whatever works for most people" thing rather than some ideal of absolute purity.

Personally, I can relate to Ghandi, Hitler, Osama, MLK, Mother Theresa. They are all visionaries and changers and go against the norm on purpose because they were born that way. In one way or another they followed their hearts to the Nth degree and caused ripples on a fundamental level to civilization even in generations that followed. I'm starting to wonder if we are not supposed to fit into society for that reason which is to create new ways to beneficially evolve humanity. That was the role of the aforementioned INFJs regardless of their approach. The point is their templates were INFJ and were placed in situations that needed a dramatic change in their time and culture. In some ways also I feel it is one relationship at a time. I use to want to fit in. Now, I embrace not fitting in. Otherwise, I am denying my true identity and what I can offer my fellow human being. Whenever I hesitate on that or self-deliberate my life purpose is futile because I lose sight of myself.

Also even among NTs there are some more pragmatic, and some more idealist in nature. The ones who are very N tend to be closer to the latter. Interestingly N correlates with a facet of the NEO-PI-R called Openness to Feelings, which includes things like being passionate about causes and feeling things deeply.

A note that people fits in into society based on many things-- our behaviors and words being only two criteria.
Our race, gender, sexual orientation, class, jobs, affiliation, religious belief, mindset, political affiliation, etc, etc, can makes us fit better or worse to society.

In that sense, it makes some sense for INFJs (or people who identify as INFJs, which has a massive difference) to be pigeonholed as outcasts, because a lot of people who identify with the INFJ traits are people who lean over a more......particular set of traits. Whether political beliefs, profession, mindset, religious beliefs, etc.

But that doesn't mean INFJs will all be shunned-- there are a lot of INFJs with traits that fit more into society (or at least being tolerated more).

And yes, selection bias and special snowflake syndrome and no true scotsman fallacy are abound here.

===

With that in mind, I also propose the idea that a lot of INFJs (or Ni doms, really) sees design flaws in the current society-- in certain angles and another. It doesn't have to be spiritual in mind too.
But INFJs actively fought against it-- or ran against it, thanks to Fe (compared to Te's more tactical approach which can be more selective in their fights),
So they either become outcasts thanks to society (understandably) opposing the threat to their stability, or thanks to themselves avoiding the tainted ugliness of society.

Or they are simply deluded and wanting to be special.

Pick your poison.

Reactions: Enkidu
INFJs and INTJs from Lenore Thomson's book

Here's some interesting observations on the INTJs and INFJs and how they relate to their world. I highlighted and italicized what I have found to be true for me all these years.

Lenore Thomson Benz:
Introverted Intuition

Most types rely on Introverted Intuition to contend with ambiguities of meaning and perception - that is, to see that a situation can be interpreted in more than one way...It may seem peculiar, therefore, to depend on this function for one's primary understanding of reality...It should be emphasized that INJs are very much ENPs in this respect. Where Extroverted Intuitives see many behavioral options, INJs acknowledge many conceptual standpoints. They experience no need to declare one inherently better than another. Indeed these types have the disconcerting habit of solving a problem by shifting their perspective and defining the situation some other way. [personally I find this is why we make such awesome mediators]

[There is a] framework of beliefs and expectations that we maintain. Some are dictated by society; others are a matter of subjective experience - our gender, our name, our history, our vocation, our background. Knowledge is facilitated, limited and directed by boundary conditions.

INJs have an unusual awareness of how such conditions determine our conceptual vocabulary, and their Intuition leads them to discern aspects of reality that aren't being acknowledged. Thus, many INJs choose professions that allow them to work with questions of language and terminology - as editors, mathematicians, psychologists, theologians, poets and programmers. Any field that involves conceptual signs and categories is likely to interest these types. The difficulty, of course, is that an INJ's Intuition often takes the type beyond the reach of existing vocabulary....INJs are often frustrated by the limits of the language they are using to test the freight of their Intuitions - whether their means of expression involves the written word, mathematics, musical or scientific notation, meta psychology, or art. As they shift vantage points, they're obliged to invent new terms, reinterpret old ones or use words like "post-modern" to avail themselves of the categories their Intuitions are pointing beyond.

Because INJs can't develop their primary skills without analyzing the way things are generally described and understood, these types are likely to experience themselves as different from others. Constituting only two percent of the population, young INJs can feel isolated, unable to fit in even when they want to. Before their skills are well-developed, it's difficult for these types to justify the questions that occur to them. After all, Introverted Intuitions are not really ideas. They're like trains at the edge of articulated knowledge. You can't claim them or advocate them. You put on a hat, grab hold of a boxcar door, and see where they go.

INFJs in particular, who need others' encouragement and approval to establish a positive self-image, struggle with feelings of alienation, and they often develop an ironic sense of humor that protects them from self-revelation and assures them of positive relationships. INTJs do this also, but they're not as reluctant to ask questions ans summarily reject the answers.

INJs have no choice but to cup Intuition's small flame against the hard wind of others' beliefs and opinions...Once INJs learn to do this, they have to learn to STOP doing it. Such types are never satisfied with what they know, and it takes a real effort for them to set limits and make use of the knowledge they already have. In fact, an INJ who feels well-informed is likely to have so much information that imposing order on it and sharing it with others is almost impossible.

[contrasting Ni & Ne]...ENPs are most visible in the first blush of discovery, when they're excited and optimistic. They aggressively seek feedback from the people around them, and they welcome others' involvement in formulating their Intuitions and carrying out their plans.

INJs are least accessible in the discovery process. Like the prince in the story of "Cinderella", they're solitary, sometimes obsessive, fitting Intuition to expressible terms like the glass slipper to potential brides. Until they've managed a good enough fit between their inner reality and an outward vocabulary, INJs may not even know what they're after, and they won't involve others in formulating their plans.

INJs understand context as a mental phenomenon, something that people bring to the outer world from within. Thus, they don't see "wholeness" as an integrated endpoint. Wholeness, for INJs, is the chaotic beginning - raw sensory (Ni) input without meaning...One might also suggest that the Internet is a pretty decent reflection of the way INJs think. Information is constantly proliferating in all different directions. One click of the mouse and your entire perspective shifts. You give away one idea and in return you get access to more data than you'll ever be able to look at.

Because INFJs use Se to relate to the outer would, they may seem more outgoing than they really are. Their personal approach and ability to find common ground with others combines with their intuitive need for innovation and alternative views, and they frequently find themselves in positions of authority. They may not seek leadership, but they are often elected by others to serve on boards and committees. People appreciate their ability to listen and to consider group feelings and values.

Thus, it should be recognized that INFJs are more like INTJs than they initially appear. Their primary relationship is to their inner world, and they are receptive to others only up to a point. Indeed, these types often find that their sympathy and perceptive listening have been mistaken for an overture of friendship, which they didn't intend. [I have experienced this a lot in my lifetime] Unlike INTJs however, their sense of the unexpressed is not impersonal and causal; it is intensely personal and oriented by emotional awareness. Their intuition takes them into psychological areas that other types are likely to keep at bay. Because they don't usually know right away the import of what they're intuiting, they may "go along" with a questionable situation until they can get a hold of how they actually feel about it. This tendency can be confusing to others, and it is often misinterpreted as reckless experimentation.

Like INTJs, INFJs have a penchant for abstraction and symbolic representation. If interested, they excel in the fields of science, math and medicine. However, they are not generally motivated by sheer intellectual challenge. INFJs require a sense of meaning in the work they do. They are more likely than INTJs to personalize their skills - as teachers, psychologists, consultants, ministers and family doctors. They are particularly sensitive to others' feelings of exclusion, and they may address or try to rectify inequities of status or opportunity within the context of their profession.

Such types can be quite tenacious in pointing out the discrepancies between stated beliefs and actual behavior. This is the arena in which their intuition is most evident. INFJs wrestle all their lives with the conflict they perceive maintaining harmonious relationships and expressing emotional truth, and it is a central issue in the books, novels, plays, and psychological articles that INFJs write. Their 1 percent representation in the population belies the tremendous influence these types have in shaping cultural ideas about identity and being true to oneself.

INFJs are exquisitely sensitive to nuance and suggestion - all the ways we unwittingly express how we feel, who we are, what we believe about ourselves and others. They are not interested in the precision of language, as INTJs are, but in its rich possibilities for metaphor and multiple layers of meaning. They often have a gift for verbal imagery or poetic expression, and they are sometimes capable of raising to consciousness something that others can only dimly sense.

INFJs frequently express themselves indirectly, depending on unstated implications to carry their meaning, and they can be put off by too direct a reference to something that is of great value to them.

Because INFJs are so alert to the unsaid, they may find it difficult to sort out their own emotions from the mood and feelings they discern in others. Young INFJs, in particular, are sometimes labeled hyper-sensitive or melodramatic, because their self-experience is tied to others emotional boundaries.

Optimally, they bring their emotional insights into the community as art, or they use them to help others come to terms with conflict in their own lives. INFJs are also capable of turning their inner experience into trenchant social commentary - by finding their truest voice and using it, perhaps in the ministry, or in the kind of edgy comedy of a Richard Pryor (I think also perhaps Dave Chapelle anyone?). Types who do this can become a potent focal point for others' unexpressed fears and yearnings. However, the pressure of speaking one's own truth in a public forum is ultimately taxing for most INFJs.

The INFJs sense of physical well-being is very much allied with their relationships and emotional investments. They want very much to be liked, buy they're afraid of being hurt, and they often develop a sense of humor that helps them to maintain a wide range of friendly contacts. Such types are by turns highly sociable and maddeningly inaccessible.

INFJs have to find some way to sort out their feelings from the feelings of others - in not in writing or art, then in an expression of religious faith, or the effort to help others to express themselves.

Like INTJs, INFJs have a tendency to use their secondary function for protection - for example, to distance themselves from a relationship that demands too much of them emotionally. They are entirely capable of meeting the expected surface demands of a situation, all the while nursing secret criticisms of a partner or a friend.

In general, these types do create their own reality, and it is one of great riches - a storehouse that artists, poets and writers draw from for their material. However, if their inner life is not balanced with reality, they may feel so different from others that they become self-conscious and defensive. They may be drawn to dysfunctional people, romanticizing their ability to see something in them that others cannot see.

INFJs are a bit like Merlin, summoned by the voice of Nimue deep with the enchanted forest. The song they hear is calling them elsewhere, beyond the cultivated borders of common consensus. When they are able to use their Extroverted Feeling function well, they bring that song back into the public domain, find a way to integrate it into the fabric of the community. INFJs who don't do this can get trapped, like the great wizard of Camelot, in a kind of enchantment that robs them of their very genuine powers of discernment and insight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLFBMKG/?tag=infjs-20

Reactions: Littlelissa
Personally, I can relate to Ghandi, Hitler, Osama, MLK, Mother Theresa. They are all visionaries and changers and go against the norm on purpose because they were born that way. In one way or another they followed their hearts to the Nth degree and caused ripples on a fundamental level to civilization even in generations that followed. I'm starting to wonder if we are not supposed to fit into society for that reason which is to create new ways to beneficially evolve humanity. That was the role of the aforementioned INFJs regardless of their approach. The point is their templates were INFJ and were placed in situations that needed a dramatic change in their time and culture. In some ways also I feel it is one relationship at a time. I use to want to fit in. Now, I embrace not fitting in. Otherwise, I am denying my true identity and what I can offer my fellow human being. Whenever I hesitate on that or self-deliberate my life purpose is futile because I lose sight of myself.

Likewise brother. We were born to not only ponder and question, but to act on our deeply rooted system of values. This may consist of not merely thinking, but most importantly acting on an idea that has deep personal meaning. Once the action for the idea, whether it is art/music (my personal situation) or an act of social change, activism, or whatever else, begins to manifest, we really don't stop until that vision is realized to the extent that we have envisioned in our minds. This is precisely why we cause waves in society. I deal with feeling alienated and an outcast every day of my life, but none of it matters when I have achieved something of value to me, however large or small of a milestone. It is characteristic of us to fight tooth and nail over an idea, and that is what we were born to do.

I can tell you, if you are passionate about something, nothing will get in your way. It is one of the most rewarding things to see an achievement of yours come to fruition. There are times after releasing a demo or album, or recording a great piece of music that make me sit back, enjoy a beer, and not give a damn about being holed up in isolation sometimes.

They do fit into society. It's kinda like, because they're already in it.

I think INFJs fit better into society than most, at least from the perspective of society. The whole Fe chameleon thing going on. I think that feeling of not belonging is quite hidden and masked for the INFJ. I believe most intuitive introverts, regardless of type, ie INxx, I think feel this to some degree. INFJ'S have an incredible ability to relate to the world around them and also the people within, but few can relate to them. I think this is what sets them apart.

Most infj's are mature or old souls in a world dominated by young and infant souls. Also most infjs tend to have mystic qualities; being able to exist within the physical and spiritual realms. Most western society is based on material and competitive and scientific perspectives that devalue what infj's can bring to the table; favoring extraversion and ego manifestations over spiritual and intuitive aspects of human psyche. Hence; most infjs fit better into nature surroundings and cultures where individual spiritual journeys are valued.

Sometimes, I wonder what might happen if society were to become more spiritual.

All of sudden, everyone will be able to recognize you and is paying attention to you. There will be people stopping to talk to you about the sunny weather when you come of out your car in the parking lot; when you are on a 14 h flight from LA to Australia, there will be no camaraderie when you are stuck in the window seat and have to engage in conversations about what Egyptian gods would think of baseball and ads on TV. It will be a veritable hell to socially awkward INFJs. :blabla: You will wish that you had incarnated on some other planet. :smile:

INFJ's put their ideals pretty high up on their priorities. Not "rocking the boat" is seldom one of them.

That's a recipe for social misfittery.

The bar is set high by people in positions of power, because they wish not to see changes to the system. That makes it discouraging to INFJs, and others, and prevents them from feeling respected and valued for their dreams and ideas.

There is a long time lag between effort and result, that makes it difficult to see, at a higher level, immediate results from such actions. But if there is a large bang resulting from previous efforts that build up over time, it will make the waiting seem entirely worth the while. I would say that the "social misfittery" to INFJs is what sweat and nervousness is to a poker player. There is just a different type of reward. :m131:

Because we feel too much for Thinkers, and think too much for Feelers. Which means we basically don't feel like we fit with either Thinkers or Feelers.

Most infj's are mature or old souls in a world dominated by young and infant souls. Also most infjs tend to have mystic qualities; being able to exist within the physical and spiritual realms. Most western society is based on material and competitive and scientific perspectives that devalue what infj's can bring to the table; favoring extraversion and ego manifestations over spiritual and intuitive aspects of human psyche. Hence; most infjs fit better into nature surroundings and cultures where individual spiritual journeys are valued.

Solongo I couldn't agree more.

They're nice, sweet, and worst of all, free thinkers.

Agreed, mostly. We are definitely free thinkers. We see what most people don't. I'm not always nice or sweet, however. I believe we are inherently respectful and highly considerate in respect to how we treat others, but "real" would be the better description. We are calm, generally. The deeper our conscious energy expands and the more we awaken in this fake, material existence, the more we are urged to oppose the system because it is not real to us and we believe in a deeper existence than what has long been accepted. This, in my life, is mostly what fuels my intensity, which people in my life often don't understand, and may never. We are nice, sweet, and what other descriptions generally apply to us, but we are also intense individuals. As with everyone, each person is unique and their own life experience has shaped their views, their world, and their spiritual path. No two INFJ types can be the same. We're all different, we only share those innate psychological tendencies that make us be.

But, yes, we are free thinkers, artists, et cetera, and no system meant to subjugate and condemn free thought will sit well with us, nor will we bend over backwards for society to satisfy corporate greed or the ill will of another person or entity by means of control and oppression. We are not controllable.

Yes, but apart from Hitler, I don't think that kind of flying in the face of the social norm has any value (obviously)- individualism gone perverse. Otherwise I totally agree with the sentiment of the value of not being a part of the norm. Remaining some degree of separation (from social norms) seems to me the only thing that can allow for any real insight. Not being fully in it so you can really see it. I think recognising social norms, ideology and how reality is constructed is an INFJ thing that is going to create some degree of odd ball- ness. Bring it on I say.

Last edited:
Reactions: James
I think we are meant to be able to help others with their issues, to counsel and help them get themselves back on course when they ask for help. I think we also play a part in keeping society free and resolving conflict, we are usually natural mediators. I think sadly the price of all that 'insight' is that we can freak others (and even ourselves sometimes) out. I think it's understandably a bit disconcerting to others.

It's difficult, but I'd guess others are more accepting of us than we think, especially when we let our guard down a little, and they get to know us better. I just accept it, that I'll always feel like the odd one out etc, and that seemed to make it a lot easier for me.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Kgal
INFJs and INTJs from Lenore Thomson's book

Here's some interesting observations on the INTJs and INFJs and how they relate to their world. I highlighted and italicized what I have found to be true for me all these years.

Lenore Thomson Benz:
Introverted Intuition

Most types rely on Introverted Intuition to contend with ambiguities of meaning and perception - that is, to see that a situation can be interpreted in more than one way...It may seem peculiar, therefore, to depend on this function for one's primary understanding of reality...It should be emphasized that INJs are very much ENPs in this respect. Where Extroverted Intuitives see many behavioral options, INJs acknowledge many conceptual standpoints. They experience no need to declare one inherently better than another. Indeed these types have the disconcerting habit of solving a problem by shifting their perspective and defining the situation some other way. [personally I find this is why we make such awesome mediators]

[There is a] framework of beliefs and expectations that we maintain. Some are dictated by society; others are a matter of subjective experience - our gender, our name, our history, our vocation, our background. Knowledge is facilitated, limited and directed by boundary conditions.

INJs have an unusual awareness of how such conditions determine our conceptual vocabulary, and their Intuition leads them to discern aspects of reality that aren't being acknowledged. Thus, many INJs choose professions that allow them to work with questions of language and terminology - as editors, mathematicians, psychologists, theologians, poets and programmers. Any field that involves conceptual signs and categories is likely to interest these types. The difficulty, of course, is that an INJ's Intuition often takes the type beyond the reach of existing vocabulary....INJs are often frustrated by the limits of the language they are using to test the freight of their Intuitions - whether their means of expression involves the written word, mathematics, musical or scientific notation, meta psychology, or art. As they shift vantage points, they're obliged to invent new terms, reinterpret old ones or use words like "post-modern" to avail themselves of the categories their Intuitions are pointing beyond.

Because INJs can't develop their primary skills without analyzing the way things are generally described and understood, these types are likely to experience themselves as different from others. Constituting only two percent of the population, young INJs can feel isolated, unable to fit in even when they want to. Before their skills are well-developed, it's difficult for these types to justify the questions that occur to them. After all, Introverted Intuitions are not really ideas. They're like trains at the edge of articulated knowledge. You can't claim them or advocate them. You put on a hat, grab hold of a boxcar door, and see where they go.

INFJs in particular, who need others' encouragement and approval to establish a positive self-image, struggle with feelings of alienation, and they often develop an ironic sense of humor that protects them from self-revelation and assures them of positive relationships. INTJs do this also, but they're not as reluctant to ask questions ans summarily reject the answers.

INJs have no choice but to cup Intuition's small flame against the hard wind of others' beliefs and opinions...Once INJs learn to do this, they have to learn to STOP doing it. Such types are never satisfied with what they know, and it takes a real effort for them to set limits and make use of the knowledge they already have. In fact, an INJ who feels well-informed is likely to have so much information that imposing order on it and sharing it with others is almost impossible.

[contrasting Ni & Ne]...ENPs are most visible in the first blush of discovery, when they're excited and optimistic. They aggressively seek feedback from the people around them, and they welcome others' involvement in formulating their Intuitions and carrying out their plans.

INJs are least accessible in the discovery process. Like the prince in the story of "Cinderella", they're solitary, sometimes obsessive, fitting Intuition to expressible terms like the glass slipper to potential brides. Until they've managed a good enough fit between their inner reality and an outward vocabulary, INJs may not even know what they're after, and they won't involve others in formulating their plans.

INJs understand context as a mental phenomenon, something that people bring to the outer world from within. Thus, they don't see "wholeness" as an integrated endpoint. Wholeness, for INJs, is the chaotic beginning - raw sensory (Ni) input without meaning...One might also suggest that the Internet is a pretty decent reflection of the way INJs think. Information is constantly proliferating in all different directions. One click of the mouse and your entire perspective shifts. You give away one idea and in return you get access to more data than you'll ever be able to look at.

Because INFJs use Se to relate to the outer would, they may seem more outgoing than they really are. Their personal approach and ability to find common ground with others combines with their intuitive need for innovation and alternative views, and they frequently find themselves in positions of authority. They may not seek leadership, but they are often elected by others to serve on boards and committees. People appreciate their ability to listen and to consider group feelings and values.

Thus, it should be recognized that INFJs are more like INTJs than they initially appear. Their primary relationship is to their inner world, and they are receptive to others only up to a point. Indeed, these types often find that their sympathy and perceptive listening have been mistaken for an overture of friendship, which they didn't intend. [I have experienced this a lot in my lifetime] Unlike INTJs however, their sense of the unexpressed is not impersonal and causal; it is intensely personal and oriented by emotional awareness. Their intuition takes them into psychological areas that other types are likely to keep at bay. Because they don't usually know right away the import of what they're intuiting, they may "go along" with a questionable situation until they can get a hold of how they actually feel about it. This tendency can be confusing to others, and it is often misinterpreted as reckless experimentation.

Like INTJs, INFJs have a penchant for abstraction and symbolic representation. If interested, they excel in the fields of science, math and medicine. However, they are not generally motivated by sheer intellectual challenge. INFJs require a sense of meaning in the work they do. They are more likely than INTJs to personalize their skills - as teachers, psychologists, consultants, ministers and family doctors. They are particularly sensitive to others' feelings of exclusion, and they may address or try to rectify inequities of status or opportunity within the context of their profession.

Such types can be quite tenacious in pointing out the discrepancies between stated beliefs and actual behavior. This is the arena in which their intuition is most evident. INFJs wrestle all their lives with the conflict they perceive maintaining harmonious relationships and expressing emotional truth, and it is a central issue in the books, novels, plays, and psychological articles that INFJs write. Their 1 percent representation in the population belies the tremendous influence these types have in shaping cultural ideas about identity and being true to oneself.

INFJs are exquisitely sensitive to nuance and suggestion - all the ways we unwittingly express how we feel, who we are, what we believe about ourselves and others. They are not interested in the precision of language, as INTJs are, but in its rich possibilities for metaphor and multiple layers of meaning. They often have a gift for verbal imagery or poetic expression, and they are sometimes capable of raising to consciousness something that others can only dimly sense.

INFJs frequently express themselves indirectly, depending on unstated implications to carry their meaning, and they can be put off by too direct a reference to something that is of great value to them.

Because INFJs are so alert to the unsaid, they may find it difficult to sort out their own emotions from the mood and feelings they discern in others. Young INFJs, in particular, are sometimes labeled hyper-sensitive or melodramatic, because their self-experience is tied to others emotional boundaries.

Optimally, they bring their emotional insights into the community as art, or they use them to help others come to terms with conflict in their own lives. INFJs are also capable of turning their inner experience into trenchant social commentary - by finding their truest voice and using it, perhaps in the ministry, or in the kind of edgy comedy of a Richard Pryor (I think also perhaps Dave Chapelle anyone?). Types who do this can become a potent focal point for others' unexpressed fears and yearnings. However, the pressure of speaking one's own truth in a public forum is ultimately taxing for most INFJs.

The INFJs sense of physical well-being is very much allied with their relationships and emotional investments. They want very much to be liked, buy they're afraid of being hurt, and they often develop a sense of humor that helps them to maintain a wide range of friendly contacts. Such types are by turns highly sociable and maddeningly inaccessible.

INFJs have to find some way to sort out their feelings from the feelings of others - in not in writing or art, then in an expression of religious faith, or the effort to help others to express themselves.

Like INTJs, INFJs have a tendency to use their secondary function for protection - for example, to distance themselves from a relationship that demands too much of them emotionally. They are entirely capable of meeting the expected surface demands of a situation, all the while nursing secret criticisms of a partner or a friend.

In general, these types do create their own reality, and it is one of great riches - a storehouse that artists, poets and writers draw from for their material. However, if their inner life is not balanced with reality, they may feel so different from others that they become self-conscious and defensive. They may be drawn to dysfunctional people, romanticizing their ability to see something in them that others cannot see.

INFJs are a bit like Merlin, summoned by the voice of Nimue deep with the enchanted forest. The song they hear is calling them elsewhere, beyond the cultivated borders of common consensus. When they are able to use their Extroverted Feeling function well, they bring that song back into the public domain, find a way to integrate it into the fabric of the community. INFJs who don't do this can get trapped, like the great wizard of Camelot, in a kind of enchantment that robs them of their very genuine powers of discernment and insight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLFBMKG/?tag=infjs-20
Brilliant extract Kgal, thanks for posting this.

Pretty much just echoing what's already been said, but for me personally, I see society as a total put on. I've alluded to it on here in other threads, that the best way to '' play the game '' is wear the right labels, have the right look, sound good and jump through the hoops. This is a game I'm very good at, but as I've gotten older I've become more withdrawn.

I will admit though that the more time I spend outside the game the more I space out. Like when I see adverts for Insurance on the tv, I've failed to see the difference to between the words Insurance and fear. Then refuse to live my life in such a way. Now that's not to say that I think insurance is useless, I'm just quick to pick up on how it's sold to us.

Since coming across the quote '' if you want to know who the liar is, look at the man surrounded by people, if you want to find the honest man, find the one sitting on his own '' May or may not be true, but I think it points at an important part of our lives.

That going along just to get along isn't always the best course of action. I think we INFJ's knows this on some level.

People remove themselves for a whole list of reasons so I don't think we can generalize too much.

Just my experience.