Why do extraverts seem to have so much more energy? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why do extraverts seem to have so much more energy?

If extroverts and introverts get re-energized by either being around or not being around people, then both Es and Is have a bum deal.

I have several friends who are extroverts and derive a lot of meaning/pleasure from alone time. Granted, they don't seem to 'need' it like I need it after I get dragged to a party with tons of people I don't know but they still like alone time.

I don't need along time ALL the time. After said party, yeah, I'm gonna need some 'get out of my personal/social space' time. But I don't always energize myself by being alone - sometime I do that be being around people.. hosting a game night or doing dinner at my apartment.

So an extrovert can constantly be around people and social events and be constantly energised?

I think not.

One thing people don't buy when I explain the whole "where you get your energy from" is that extroverts are painted as being constantly switched on. They get drained at some point and will have to re-energise alone, surely?

there is different levels of introversion/extroversion depending on that is how much one needs to be alone/with people to gain energy.

I don't necessarily think "energy" is the best way to describe what I go through when it comes time to withdraw. It's more like finding a place of "existential refuge" where I can lick the wounds that invariably come when I'm surrounded by "stimuli" and actually have my identity reaffirmed to be sure I haven't gone off the deep end. I actually got this idea from a friend who is very extroverted. She always described being around other people in action as that point where all the cold of being alone melts away and then she really knows who she is. Now take that in contrast and you can see the big difference in how Es and Is think.

Like I said, it's not "energy" so much as "refuge" or where we feel safe. If I spend an extended amount of time in isolation I don't walk out of it with my social power level over 9000. I usually come out a bumbling fool who can't get anything across and is way too shy to be of any social use.

If extroverts and introverts get re-energized by either being around or not being around people, then both Es and Is have a bum deal.

I have several friends who are extroverts and derive a lot of meaning/pleasure from alone time. Granted, they don't seem to 'need' it like I need it after I get dragged to a party with tons of people I don't know but they still like alone time.

I don't need along time ALL the time. After said party, yeah, I'm gonna need some 'get out of my personal/social space' time. But I don't always energize myself by being alone - sometime I do that be being around people.. hosting a game night or doing dinner at my apartment.

I don't necessarily think "energy" is the best way to describe what I go through when it comes time to withdraw. It's more like finding a place of "existential refuge" where I can lick the wounds that invariably come when I'm surrounded by "stimuli" and actually have my identity reaffirmed to be sure I haven't gone off the deep end. I actually got this idea from a friend who is very extroverted. She always described being around other people in action as that point where all the cold of being alone melts away and then she really knows who she is. Now take that in contrast and you can see the big difference in how Es and Is think.

Like I said, it's not "energy" so much as "refuge" or where we feel safe. If I spend an extended amount of time in isolation I don't walk out of it with my social power level over 9000. I usually come out a bumbling fool who can't get anything across and is way too shy to be of any social use.

good points here

It seems to be a way of defining oneself

Actually for Es needing alone time .. I have read a couple of descriptions for ENxx types where it says they need alone time to ground themselves. Otherwise they get lost with all the interactions. So I actually find myself getting along with some extroverts, and they do understand if I need alone time.. I have met a few who don't at all, these ones have been the most trouble,

good points here

It seems to be a way of defining oneself

Actually for Es needing alone time .. I have read a couple of descriptions for ENxx types where it says they need alone time to ground themselves. Otherwise they get lost with all the interactions. So I actually find myself getting along with some extroverts, and they do understand if I need alone time.. I have met a few who don't at all, these ones have been the most trouble,

Yes, N types in general need alone time in order to recharge regardless of E or I, this being because we have a whole lot of ideas in our mind to process, resulting in a need for some time and think.

I went to a New Year's "open house" party at a neighbor's house today. Ate a few things, talked to a few people. After around 45 minutes, I couldn't stand it any more--so much noise, so many extroverts--I felt like I was suffocating. I got my coat and slipped out the door. Took a deep sigh of relief, the cold air felt good.

My INFJ followed a little later. She's more polite than I am.

Happy New Year.

I went to a New Year's "open house" party at a neighbor's house today. Ate a few things, talked to a few people. After around 45 minutes, I couldn't stand it any more--so much noise, so many extroverts--I felt like I was suffocating. I got my coat and slipped out the door. Took a deep sigh of relief, the cold air felt good.

My INFJ followed a little later. She's more polite than I am.

Happy New Year.

Haha