Why are we here? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why are we here?

Okay so it's like here (not the website - in this world), I'm this INFJ who most of the time has no idea what I'm saying and when I type really fast my tongue gets wrapped around my eyes and I can't see what I'm typing. So, I'll clarify and thanks for asking me to do so. You know, INFJ's are supposed to be good with ideas. I am as long as they stay in my head. So I'll try to explain what I thought I understood what you meant to understand what I thought I said in a way that the expectancy of things being said, or unsaid, or any facsimile thereof, to the point of through my lack of mental soundness. To wit:

Hang on, just checking to make sure I'm not in the Enlightening Wrong Answer thread.

Okay, what I meant was, why are we here on this planet, but I meant as a community of intuitives on this planet, but I can see that I used the word, "website," in my original question, but I don't mean the website - well I do mean the website as it relates to the intuitive community at large, not just the community as pertains to the website. So, let me try again.

Why are intuitives on planet Earth? Are we here because we are accidentally different, (i.e., my own obvious brain dysfunction) - you know, are we just flukes or abberrations of nature, or are we here to influence the destiny of humankind in some way?

Except for notable historical exclusions (I'm often reminded here, that is, on the website, of Hitler's being an intuitive), I believe intuitives have an innate heart of compassion. Do we, as the intuitive community at large, have some calling, or mandate from Nature, God, or randomness, to pass along this emotionally or rationally charged "light," that burns so brightly within us, to make this world a better place?

I hope this clears everything up. :peep:

HEY ! I JUST CLIMBED UP 4320 STEP TO THE TREEHOUSE TO GET THE ANSWER AND YOU ARE TELLING ME YOU MEANT TO THE WORLD IN GENERAL?

Umm...I'm still okay with that. Are you in?

Well! That clears it up! :dizzy: :tongue1:

The truth is I don't know. I often feel a mild sense of resentment at being so at odds with most of the people I know (hence my glee in finding this forum) but I also feel a sense of responsibility toward them somehow. I haven't quite figured that out though, so I won't expand on it.

I think we're here - in society - to serve a few functions (brainstorming starts now): to raise questions and even possibilities, to give comfort, to stop the avalanche, to envision and communicate idealistic alternatives, to show by example that sensitivity is not weakness, to show by example that there is often More Than Meets The Eye, to direct, to question, to forgive, to imagine, to embrace but also to retreat, to show that being "apart from" is not a threat to the "whole", to show that separateness can also be wholeness, to suggest that there are no final answers.

Yeah, that was my word-association response to what we're HERE (not on the forum) for :)

Can you keep track of the numbers for me while I'm meditating?

Keep track of the *gulp* numbers? But that's like... math! *wring hands* I don't know if I can commit to that. I mean, I love ya and all, but... math *bite cuticles*. Okay. Okay. I can do this *breathe in, breathe out*. Okay, if you need me to Keep Track of the Numbers, I will.

*equip resolute face*

Ok, cool. Let's get to your larger question later. First thing is first.

I think we are at 5, but I lost count and I'll need to break for a bit and will be back a little later.

Keep track of the *gulp* numbers? But that's like... math! *wring hands* I don't know if I can commit to that. I mean, I love ya and all, but... math *bite cuticles*. Okay. Okay. I can do this *breathe in, breathe out*. Okay, if you need me to Keep Track of the Numbers, I will.

*equip resolute face*

Thanks. Just 11, ZC.

I believe the answer lies in evolutionary psychology, we have evolved from and still are very much tribal animals. So I think the formation of personality comes from tribal behaviour, take INFJs for instance. Witchdoctors, Sages, Mystics, Oracles and Seers are a common archetype found in tribes around the world, they provide a tribe with vision, wisdom and guidance that goes beyond the day to day activities of the tribe. So for a tribe to be successful in the long term it requires a small percentage of it's population to be able to make predictions and give insight that is beyond the norm, this is where you guys come in, the Introverted Intuitives. You exist because you are neccessary for the group's success, you fill the "mystic, oracle, priest, shaman" niche.

So if you are wondering why you are so rare, it is unnecessary for the group to have many people making predictions or providing guidance. The tribe needs to maximise day to day activities the bulk of which would be done by Sensors. So in a tribe of 100, there would be 1 or 2 naturally mystic and wise people that the group will turn to, anymore and it would be a waste of human resource.

So no, you are not flukes, aberrations or dysfunctional, you are important members of a neccesary niche in human groups, we all have our type preferences for the ultimate betterment of the group.

So no, you are not flukes, aberrations or dysfunctional, you are important members of a neccesary niche in human groups, we all have our type preferences for the ultimate betterment of the group.

He is such a keeper...(That is an American phrase...that means in America, someone worthy of attention, someone who you want to stick around, someone you respect...)

He is such a keeper...(That is an American phrase...that means in America, someone worthy of attention, someone who you want to stick around, someone you respect...)

Thanks HS, We have that too, "a fish you don't want to throw back". :D

I believe the answer lies in evolutionary psychology, we have evolved from and still are very much tribal animals. So I think the formation of personality comes from tribal behaviour, take INFJs for instance. Witchdoctors, Sages, Mystics, Oracles and Seers are a common archetype found in tribes around the world, they provide a tribe with vision, wisdom and guidance that goes beyond the day to day activities of the tribe. So for a tribe to be successful in the long term it requires a small percentage of it's population to be able to make predictions and give insight that is beyond the norm, this is where you guys come in, the Introverted Intuitives. You exist because you are neccessary for the group's success, you fill the "mystic, oracle, priest, shaman" niche.

So if you are wondering why you are so rare, it is unnecessary for the group to have many people making predictions or providing guidance. The tribe needs to maximise day to day activities the bulk of which would be done by Sensors. So in a tribe of 100, there would be 1 or 2 naturally mystic and wise people that the group will turn to, anymore and it would be a waste of human resource.

Quinlan, well stated and I agree with you. The problem I have is that the mystic, oracle, priest, shaman designation is so tied into religion, mythology, new age-y-ness, and superstition, I have no clue as to how our role can be legititemately secularized. I think it needs to be. Do you agree, and any ideas?

Quinlan, well stated and I agree with you. The problem I have is that the mystic, oracle, priest, shaman designation is so tied into religion, mythology, new age-y-ness, and superstition, I have no clue as to how our role can be legititemately secularized. I think it needs to be. Do you agree, and any ideas?

Seriously, I agree and seriously, seriously, my son just stuck his gerbil in his model airplane. The other gerbil is in the model tiger tank. I better go.

Serious keeper. Quinlan, you frequently impress the fsck out of me.

The problem I have is that the mystic, oracle, priest, shaman designation is so tied into religion, mythology, new age-y-ness, and superstition, I have no clue as to how our role can be legititemately secularized.

See now, I feel very comfortable with Quinlan's analysis. Perhaps because I was raised without religion (and also without religious prejudice), I don't feel pidgeonholed or confined by any "mystical" requirements or stigma. I feel that being granted the role of guide, seer, whatever across vast cultural divides would grant a certain freedom of thought and expression as well.

yes to HS

If it's because of evolutionary psychology, then we are obsolete and we need to be exterminated, since we don't live in a primitive society anymore. I mean, do you really think people take notice when you have a "premonition" or "dream" and it happens in the future? Or when you KNOW what someone is really like (their motives/intentions) and later, you find out you were right all along, when everybody else thought so-and-so to be something else? Do you think people go and say "oh my gosh! I remember that dream of yours! " "I remember that dejavu you had two years ago!" "I remember you told me so-and-so wasn't to be trusted" ? Mmmmmm. No, people just don't take notes, they don't pay attention to what you're saying, and if they do, they don't know what to make of it. Take me back to the tribal time, please, where people would actually pay attention on what we noticed, take note and prevent themselves from been harmed. That's just my personal life-learned lesson on how usually people respond to our "intuition" Now I've got to think what our purpose on earth are, in modern society

Last edited:
No, people just don't take notes, they don't pay attention to what you're saying, and if they do, they don't know what to make of it. Take me back to the tribal time, please, where people would actually pay attention on what we noticed, take note and prevent themselves from been harmed. That's just my personal life-learned lesson on how usually people respond to our "intuition" Now I've got to think what our purpose on earth are, in modern society

Or if your beliefs are correct it becomes a given. That's still progress. Better to be that way than the alternative. It's just not everyone will understand, that's just the way it is. I mean, do you understand why you are the way you are?

Last edited:
Are we the way we are, do we think the way we think and feel the way we feel in order to achieve recognition or reverence for it from others? And if we don't receive that recognition, then we are obsolete? That's kind of what I got from your post, Freedom. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I don't actually feel like any of us are the way we are by deliberate choice, and we'll go on thinking/feeling/behaving/believing as we do regardless of our "tribe's" need for us, or lack thereof.

Maybe we're that quintessential tree falling in the forest.