Why are so many INFPs delued that they are INFJs? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why are so many INFPs delued that they are INFJs?

You know, at first I avoided this thread because I thought the word "deluded" was too negatively charged, but now I'm glad I read it. It is interesting the similarities between INFJ and INFP, but the differences are much more interesting to me. I've noticed that there appear to be two "types" of INFJ members on the forum, some of whom discuss issues as objectively as they can, others seem exceptionally pre-judgmental and bring up topics not to discuss but to try to "affirm". Like they're not open to discussing the topic with anyone that disagrees; they're just looking for others to agree with their strong feelings. I wonder if that is what you mean about INFPs self-identifying as INFJ but actually thinking quite differently.

I really don't like to say that they are deluded, though. If they are mistaken, they suffer more than anyone else for having inaccurate information to guide them. If they are honest with themselves and find out that they are closer to INFP, they can benefit from deeper understanding of themselves, right? Saying they are deluded makes it sound like they're pretending to be something better than what they deserve, and I don't believe any personality type is naturally better than any other. It's just how far along you are in developing your strengths and overcoming your weaknesses.

I think I agree very much with [MENTION=9401]LucyJr[/MENTION], though, that we can't take MBTI as a way of forcing a label on others or even on ourselves. We can all benefit from better insight into our lives, but if we let this turn into an "us vs. them" scenario we're not benefiting anymore...

You know, at first I avoided this thread because I thought the word "deluded" was too negatively charged, but now I'm glad I read it. It is interesting the similarities between INFJ and INFP, but the differences are much more interesting to me. I've noticed that there appear to be two "types" of INFJ members on the forum, some of whom discuss issues as objectively as they can, others seem exceptionally pre-judgmental and bring up topics not to discuss but to try to "affirm". Like they're not open to discussing the topic with anyone that disagrees; they're just looking for others to agree with their strong feelings. I wonder if that is what you mean about INFPs self-identifying as INFJ but actually thinking quite differently.

I really don't like to say that they are deluded, though. If they are mistaken, they suffer more than anyone else for having inaccurate information to guide them. If they are honest with themselves and find out that they are closer to INFP, they can benefit from deeper understanding of themselves, right? Saying they are deluded makes it sound like they're pretending to be something better than what they deserve, and I don't believe any personality type is naturally better than any other. It's just how far along you are in developing your strengths and overcoming your weaknesses.

I think I agree very much with @LucyJr , though, that we can't take MBTI as a way of forcing a label on others or even on ourselves. We can all benefit from better insight into our lives, but if we let this turn into an "us vs. them" scenario we're not benefiting anymore...

I think INFJ's invest a lot of time in trying to understand what is going on in the world

Through this process they breakdown their own subjective biases and begin to see the world more objectively

Once they have that vision though they can steer a straight course even in the face of great resistance

A famous example would be ghandi

So saying that INFJ's who have a stong opinion are INFP's is not a fair assessment of INFJ's

INFJ's are often very clear sighted and clear sight when allied to integrity is not going to be brushed aside

So saying that INFJ's who have a stong opinion are INFP's is not a fair assessment of INFJ's

Oh, true, and you're right about Gandhi. I didn't mean to say an INFJ can't or doesn't have a strong opinion. I just feel like I've seen opinions spoken about in two different ways on the forum, that's all. I really don't like making judgement on someone else, especially to try to tell them what their personality type is, and especially especially to try to tell them that the personality type they think is theirs is wrong. In fact, my point was we shouldn't be doing that...

However, there's more to this thread than just the negative connotation of us vs. them. There's an honest observation of something that I can say I've noticed as well. And there's an honest opinion on why that is. I find that interesting.

INFJ's are often very clear sighted and clear sight when allied to integrity is not going to be brushed aside

Fair enough. And I agree. Whether I myself am truly an INFJ or really an INFP that is mistaken, I do have my own opinions that I do not easily allow to be brushed aside, and I like to think I would fight fairly strongly for their integrity.

Most of INFJs who are lacking self-confidence want to save the world...when they get better with their life, suddenly they forget to save the world. The history is full of dreamers with saving the world fantasies, yet in the very place they were born, the majority of people there were better morally that's just something I can bet for).

I hate to say it, but we are very superficial beings in this sense.

I don't think that's true. Every person wants to see progression within himself, not just INFPs.

That is soooooooooo deep. Kind of given me a bit of cautious perspective. My life is changing so rapidly right now and yes, I mustn't forget.

Going to write this down in my inspiration diary. I don't know about all the other stuff as I don't take MBTI that seriously.

Cheers x

INFP sux, INFJ = amazeballz.

QQ thread.

Reactions: SealHammer
Disregard Fi and Fe for a moment and consider the time and place of the intention. Consider age. Consider the person's life experience/age. Consider their living situation, financial situation...Who is in their lives...

It's not just about intent and follow-through, it's about being in the right place and time and acting because you could. It's about having a solid plan and sticking with it.

Could you save the world when you're living on the mommy daddy bus, living in a trailer, and spending your last money at saver stores for meals? Is your plan about money? Or do you just not have the time because you're stuck in a trailer with several kids and don't have a moment to step out and clear your head?

INFP has the passion to save the world, INFJ acts to save the world but then gets stuck in a ditch somewhere. INFP sits around crying about having no-where to put this passion/energy, INFJ is still in ditch and is quite unsure how to get out.

While the observations between how the two may function is important there are so many other different factors to consider in what will successfully fulfill a plan.

:pop2:

Man, sup with all the INFP hate? Y'all are whack.

Man, sup with all the INFP hate? Y'all are whack.

I'm not taking sides or hating on either side, I'm trying to give a neutral perspective. That being said I've known some awesome INFP and some annoying INFP. But the INFP thing didn't matter in my perception of them, what mattered was who the person was at heart.

INFP may suddenly refrain from discussing a topic because they don't want to enforce their beliefs on others or feel like others are enforcing their beliefs on them. INFJ can more often proselytize while the INFP only wants to discuss and explore. Proselytizing can make both an INTP and INFP avoid or ignore the debater when it is too aggressive and the individual seems close minded thus convincing the INTP/INFP that it is pointless to continue the discussion.

Sometimes however an Ne user is maybe just be throwing an Ne bomb to see how everyone reacts. I wonder what people will do when I put this highly controversial statement out there... Generally I can recognize it but I wonder if an Ni user can...

INFP = I am superspecial, me me me, nothing but me
INFJ = Liberte, egalite et fraternite

Overly simplified?

Where is the supportive structure to your conclusion? You don't show me how you came to this idea thus I can only assume that you did not reason it out and it is simply a way for you to satisify me, me me nothing but mine own INFJ elevated ego as it shines over the poor INFP.

INFPs are ok, but they tend to lack the courage of their convictions..

THey just respect other people's convictions and don't think theirs should dominate everyone elses. Try stepping on their convictions and you will find a nail in your foot.

I wonder about these experiences that people have with so-called INFPs. How were they so sure that the people they interacted with were INFPs? Did they type these people themselves, or did they point out that they were an INFP (And if they did claim to be an INFP, what are they basing their type off of? A test they've found on google? Do these individuals have an in-depth knowledge about MBTI/socionics?).

I don't know about you guys, but it's pretty darn rare to run into someone in person who knows the theory of MBTI/socionics in great detail. A lot of people do not know the theory comprehensively. There's only so much that you'll be seeing on the surface level. There are plenty of members on this INFJ (MBTI-based) forum who know plenty about the theory, but even still have trouble typing themselves.

INFPs = Me, me, me? That could be applicable to any type.

Also, to answer the question, many "INFPs" are deluded that they are INFJs for a multitude of reasons. They could have gotten INFJ as a test result on an MBTI/Socionics test and are unaware of the cognitive functions. Also, these tests are also mandatory in many post secondary classes, and many are left mistyped without the motivation to investigate their type further. They also could have been mistyped by someone. The list goes on and on.

Last edited:
I don't think that any INFP should feel embarrassed for his MBTI type. We are all individual beings and can hardly be defined by a set of words. It is a social stigma, which INFPs for some reason seem to carry, that makes them want to present themselves as INFJs, hence feeling the urge to vigorously defend their natural MBTI type. INFJs also have their share of flaws and neither type should be considered as perfect. For example, on some tests I scored as an INTP (2 of them to be exact), but on all others as an INFJ. Now, I've read a brief description of both types which, in my opinion, puts me way closer to the INFJ. I appreciate a scientific approach, but also can't negate the subjectivity of scientists conducting the research, possibility of different lobbies funding its desired outcome, etc. Nothing should be taken as an absolute truth, everything should be questioned over and over again. Regardless of their MBTI type there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum whose insight is greatly appreciated. I've noticed that people have read The art of war, Il principe, etc. So it is a privilege to be a part of such a community where we can freely exchange ideas. I do tend to appreciate opposition that passionately defends their values, however I might believe they are wrong, as opposed to those sticking to the middle ground or those way too sensitive to participate. It is a poor display of ignorance when a person attacks another one because he/she thinks that they are threatened. That is an animal in us that I was talking about which hinders us from reaching a divine spark that we ought to posses within ourselves. Sometimes you have to make a statement to see how various people will defend their opinion and which arguments they will use so you can learn and possibly correct your own set of values. Ultimately, no one was born with all the knowledge of the world. The more you know the more you realise that you don't know anything.