Who do you relate to better: men or women? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Who do you relate to better: men or women?

Is neither a possible answer? I am not saying that I don’t relate to either but I don’t relate more to one or the other. I get along with both and I feel connections to both. I love feminine nature of women, the delicacy, the beauty, the grace, etc… all things I may not connect with physically but mentally I am drawn to them. Now with men I have never been the macho macho type who goes out a fight for no reason but I have fought. I feel a connection to the strength, the stubbornness, the confidence, the hero mentality, the steadfast nature demonstrated in the male persona. I am equally drawn to both but in different ways.

Reactions: Gaze
I don't want to limit myself by saying male, female, human, plant, planet, animal, etc. I'll relate to anything living that exhibits honesty, kindness, compassion, and is genuine.

I think I relate to both equally; that's probably because both aspects of my personality are in balance with each other, and even at times NEED to complement each other. Logic and Emotion are tools that help you relate to others...some women/men are guided by emotion, some by intuition, some by rationale alone...it helps me to be versatile so I can understand everyone I come into contact with. Men can be fun, women can be fun, depends really on the preference/functions I prefer to use for the day.

Too many factors to say. There are even some days I would rather be with my dog. When I'm somewhat withdrawn it is much different than when I'm feeling great. There are days I seem to be able to at least deal with anyone. I relate easily when fishing with someone, as we are both enjoying the same thing and it brings about good conversation most of the time.

I think I tend to relate to men better, I often find other women to be overly emotional about silly things. Men often seem to take a more no nonsense approach, and I appreciate that. I'm not saying all women are that way, I just notice it's something I deal less so with men.

I typically relate better to men, but can relate to some women. I don't deal with conflicting opinions when it's with a female as well as with a male. I don't know why.

Edit: Even when I was a kid I got along better with boys. It wasn't in a sexual way, and I wasn't a total tomboy (though I wasn't afraid of skinning my knees) but in Junior and Senior High School I wrote poems relating to girls being friends with mostly guys and it being misconstrued. I was considered a slut by some though I had only ever held hands and kissed a guy or two. Women tend to be intimidated by me for reasons I can only assume.

I was like that too. In some frilly pink dress I loved, playing mudpie war with the boys. I was upset when I realized in school that boys and girls kind of separated and I had to be on the girl side.

I relate more with women, but I always have the sense that men understand me better. So, I will often feel more relaxed when around men vs. women. I can joke around and let loose around guys who are friends compared to women. With women friends I've had, it sometimes feels like there's a competition of sorts or unless we're going through the same things we can't relate. And sometimes it seems with women more than men that anything one says, the other tries to outdo. I always feel more tense around women. Around men, I guess I feel there's no need to compare because we are different. I don't have to be or think like them and they don't have to believe for think like me. There is less expectation.
I think I have natural interests that are considered manly in our society and it's a little unusual in people's eyes. The other women I meet on the job I really appreciate because we are similiarly "odd" and share some experiences on what kind of issues we've faced due to the cultural inappropriateness of our choice of interest, but sometimes the pressures of trying to make it in a man's world and deal with the stereotypes imposed on us causes this strange unhappy competition. It's like that movie Highlander "There can only be one...", even though there can be as many as there are peple tend to buy into it still. So it's complex. -.

I relate more to men than women. If my cousins ask me to go camping with them, I choose that over shopping. Personally, I think I'm just a mixture of both. I say that I have a masculine mind, feminine heart, feminine body, and masculine instinct.
This. :)

I would say I'm more comfortable hanging out with the boys for the ease, but love to relate to active powerful women.

I would say I'm more comfortable hanging out with the boys for the ease, but love to relate to active powerful women.

Same here!

I love being around smart, strong women who know what they're talking about and have experienced/gone through a lot in life. I enjoy their company just as much as straight men or gay men. I've been surrounded by strong, independent women all my life so I don't like surrounding myself with ladies who don't use their brains. When I seek friendships with gals, I always try to find a very intellectual or strong-minded woman because I feel as though I can relate to them the most. Friendship is not a competition to me (which most girls seem to make it). It's about strong, beautiful females coming together to just let loose and find love and support with each other. I don't like to compete with other women, I would rather be someone's cheerleader than to try to one-up someone. I feel very blessed to have that with my girlfriends.

Reactions: Gaze

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bionic
I relate more to men than women. If my cousins ask me to go camping with them, I choose that over shopping. Personally, I think I'm just a mixture of both. I say that I have a masculine mind, feminine heart, feminine body, and masculine instinct.

This. :)

I definitely relate better to guys. Women are usually too emotional, catty, witchy, physically weak, illogical and just plain girly.

I definitely relate better to guys. Women are usually too emotional, catty, witchy, physically weak, illogical and just plain girly.

Womenz hating womenz:

Would you label all African Americans or Muslims or Hispanics or gays according to stereotype here?
Or basically any other group of people?..
But somehow, it's cool for women to do it to one another.

Why is that?

So EVERY woman you've ever met has been emotional and catty and weak and illogical etc. etc...
That goes for all your female relatives, every female teacher or professor or employer or co-worker or friend you have had?
You've never had a female friend you respected? You've never had a female role model?

Do you read books? Do you study history? Ever studied science? Follow politics and current events? Enjoy art?
Are you at all aware of the amazing contributions and discoveries and accomplished feats made by women in history and into the present?

Women who were, undeniably, more than just: Catty, emotional, illogical, weak, witchy or just "too girly."

Are YOU catty and emotional and weak and illogical etc etc?
If I were you, I'd be questioning my worldview.

Last edited:
Womenz hating womenz:

Would you label all African Americans or Muslims or Hispanics or gays according to stereotype here?
Or basically any other group of people?..
But somehow, it's cool for women to do it to one another.

Why is that?

So EVERY woman you've ever met has been emotional and catty and weak and illogical etc. etc...
That goes for all your female relatives, every female teacher or professor or employer or co-worker or friend you have had?
You've never had a female friend you respected? You've never had a female role model?

Do you read books? Do you study history? Ever studied science? Follow politics and current events? Enjoy art?
Are you at all aware of the amazing contributions and discoveries and accomplished feats made by women in history and into the present?

Women who were, undeniably, more than just: Catty, emotional, illogical, weak, witchy or just "too girly."

Are YOU catty and emotional and weak and illogical etc etc?
If I were you, I'd be questioning my worldview.

+1

If that is why you dislike women, then you are probably all those things yourself. That you are emotional, catty, and illogical is a good thing for all new male friends to know about you.

I relate probably 60/40, Women/Men. I prefer being around women, but have male friends, too. Women understand me better.

Women. Sorry guys, but most of you are just too stereotypically boring and shallow for me. I listen to a mix of classical music, I don't like most sports, I don't drink and I don't particularly like fixing cars or anything automotive related. Doesn't leave a whole hell of a lot left to "bond" over, does it?

Unless, of course, I meet a fellow geek... but that transcends gender :D

Reactions: AKM and Gaze
Men. Basically, I find women's emotional fluctuations - or "fluctuationability" - difficult to navigate.

Additionally, when emotions are heightened (which is more likely in women than in men) conversations seem to be derailed, or redirected towards the emotional individual.

**Mind you, I am not saying that I can't stand it when people make any and everything about themselves - but I simply find it easier to relate to people who are mostly emotionless: which men generally seem to be more prone to.**

I was raised with three boys, so I tend to relate better to male humor and male jokes. I occasionally try to do male impressions, or compete with males- whether it's drinking, arm wrestling, etc. I also take solace in the fact that typically more men are Ti/Te, because then I don't have to emotionally relate, which I find exhausting- so if I want to have fun, I am hanging out with the guys. Almost always if I'm out, at a party or at a bar it's with my boyfriend and one or two of his close friends. I also work in a male dominated environment, I like proving myself in areas that are not commonly feminine- such as welding, and tech.

Women on the other hand though, I relate with more deeply and emotionally, I have three very close friends, an ENFJ, an INFP, and an ENFP that mean the world to me. I make a point to keep in touch with them and be there for them emotionally. Otherwise, my girlfriends are sparse- and I find our conversations to be mostly vapid- sex, relationships, fashion, hair, and I become exhausted from pretending to be interested or trying to boost their esteem.

In my experience, women and gay men the most. I get along with men and women equally I think, but in terms of relating, definitely women and gay men more.

I was like that too. In some frilly pink dress I loved, playing mudpie war with the boys. I was upset when I realized in school that boys and girls kind of separated and I had to be on the girl side.

I used to feel this way when I was young too, and I hated wearing things like dresses. It was probably partially because I've always had feeling of ambivalence towards my mom and didn't really understand some of the things that other girls liked and didn't really understand what kinship with other girls felt like other than with my grandmother, so I distrusted girls or at least was very tomboyish for a lot of my childhood. I never really liked the strong Fe ish communication style a lot of girls used, and I never really felt demure and subservient even if I was shy. Eventually as I neared preteenhood, I started having more and more female friends and started becoming curious about my compatibility with femininity within myself, and I guess that changed things and I started to really like it. And then after I started realizing I liked boys, I really became mostly closer to women and gay men than straight men. The only non gay men I remained able to feel really close to were INFJs LOL, whatever that says about them. :D

Since I'm like a crazy badass metal guitar chick, guys tend to be my primary company. SHREDDER GIRL?! YOU BET!

I don't know which I get along with best. I have fewer female friends, yet we seem to have the best relations. I have more naturally in common with them.

:m037:

Reactions: Norton