Who do you relate to better: men or women? | INFJ Forum

Who do you relate to better: men or women?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Who do you relate to better: men or women? Why do you think this is so?

Reactions: AKM
Women

Why? I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with what my interests are and more importantly what I'm not interested in.

Reactions: AKM and Gaze
Women... our society generally doesn't like emotional males - there are a few guys who are comfortable enough not sticking to their gender "roles", but they are few and far between.

Guess my personality has more "effeminate" qualities... when compared to normal societal standards.

Reactions: AKM and Gaze
Independent women and emotionally-aware males.

Reactions: Kgal and Gaze
Who do you relate to better: men or women? Why do you think this is so?

i relate better to men.
women often concern themselves with things that don't interest me. for instance, i couldn't care less about child raising, fashion, makeup, oprah or reality tv. i don't gossip, nor do i spend a lot of time shopping, and i don't read cosmo. i don't care to hear about their relationship issues or their pms.

I typically relate better to men, but can relate to some women. I don't deal with conflicting opinions when it's with a female as well as with a male. I don't know why.

Edit: Even when I was a kid I got along better with boys. It wasn't in a sexual way, and I wasn't a total tomboy (though I wasn't afraid of skinning my knees) but in Junior and Senior High School I wrote poems relating to girls being friends with mostly guys and it being misconstrued. I was considered a slut by some though I had only ever held hands and kissed a guy or two. Women tend to be intimidated by me for reasons I can only assume.

Last edited:
I relate best to independent women who don't need to be in a relationship to be happy and can control their emotions and not cause drama. A lot of guys can't talk about anything besides cars, sports, and sex.

Reactions: bionic
Usually men when it comes to talking shop. I don't notice much difference between men and women when it comes to talking about interpersonal stuff.

I relate more with women, but I always have the sense that men understand me better. So, I will often feel more relaxed when around men vs. women. I can joke around and let loose around guys who are friends compared to women. With women friends I've had, it sometimes feels like there's a competition of sorts or unless we're going through the same things we can't relate. And sometimes it seems with women more than men that anything one says, the other tries to outdo. I always feel more tense around women. Around men, I guess I feel there's no need to compare because we are different. I don't have to be or think like them and they don't have to believe for think like me. There is less expectation.

I relate more to men than women. If my cousins ask me to go camping with them, I choose that over shopping. Personally, I think I'm just a mixture of both. I say that I have a masculine mind, feminine heart, feminine body, and masculine instinct.

So for some, women in general just have shopping, makeup, and babies to talk about? While only men have anything worthwhile to say or do?
You guys buy that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Radiantshadow
I relate more with women, but I always have the sense that men understand me better. So, I will often feel more relaxed when around men vs. women. I can joke around and let loose around guys who are friends compared to women. With women friends I've had, it sometimes feels like there's a competition of sorts or unless we're going through the same things we can't relate. And sometimes it seems with women more than men that anything one says, the other tries to outdo. I always feel more tense around women. Around men, I guess I feel there's no need to compare because we are different. I don't have to be or think like them and they don't have to believe for think like me. There is less expectation.

I guess I sort of get the opposite effect, less expectation among women than men oddly enough... I feel like I have to act overly macho/masculine around guys, particularly those around my age.

I guess it really depends on the situation/individual as well, whether we're having a deep conversation or just or just making small talk - I really don't care about reality tv, makeup, and other things of that sort - I just find that women can be more open about their emotions/ personal problems (usually), and I can relate to them more in that regard.

Probably women, though, I don't have many people that are similar to me so it's somewhat hard to relate.

I relate to women more, I have a hard time finding common ground with most men so I don't tend to have many male friends with the exception of my childhood friends.

Hmm...this is actually pretty tough. I can relate to both pretty well to a certain extent. I kind of stop identifying with other guys if they start talking about all the women they get and I stop identifying with women when they're extremely girly. By extremely girly, I mean the 1800s type of girly, not valley girls. I am a valley girl at heart.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I relate equally to either I think, although maybe more-so women since I am also a woman. There is a level of emotional understanding I've reached with my closest female friends that I don't think I've ever experienced with a male. Although I think I find it easier to let go and be silly around males generally speaking. There have been many individuals in my life who go against this though, so I would say that it really just depends on the person, regardless of gender.

Reactions: Gaze
I used to relate more to women but now I relate more to men… but it also depends a lot on what they're like.

I like a lot of women and I get along extremely well with my female co-workers but there are a lot of things about them that I can't relate to… and if they're too girly then definitely not because I'm actually really practical about a lot of things and when someone goes on and on about a four hundred dollar pair of shoes or something then I actually get kind of angry. I also hate it when someone can't do outdoor things because they don't want to get dirty or something-- that just annoys me. And I don't think that I would ever be able to go out for an afternoon with a group of women being women and not feel uncomfortable or vaguely emasculated.

Overall I prefer sort of more androgynous people… probably only slightly to the male side of the male/female spectrum.

I relate to everyone... I prefer to relate to people who are original or at least who strive to learn more about themselves as opposed to living by rules and stereotypes. I tend to have more female friends in general because, I dunno I guess in some ways I feel comfortable around them, and I wont lie, deep down inside there is still very reptilian male aggression that no matter what doesn't want others males around when I am with women... I dont know what it is, I cant control that aspect of myself apparently, so I tend to compartmentalize people a bit.