Where do you think you'll go after you die? + Rant you can read or ignore | INFJ Forum

Where do you think you'll go after you die? + Rant you can read or ignore

Sugarcoat

Feb 25, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Type 6 & 9
A Christian student visited my dormitory recently, and he asked us: If you die an hour later, where do you think you'll go?

Brought up by a Catholic family, I somehow just knew that my people believed that if people die, they are sent to stay in the purgatory to wait for 49 days to see if their families and loved ones would pray for them so that they can go to heaven. It sounds fishy and I know there are terms and conditions that may apply. I have tons of questions but eh I couldn't be bothered much because other humans like to twist words and there are so many versions of it too. I could read the Bible which I have been trying to for years but maybe I'll do it next year.

Anyway, yes I told him: Probably the purgatory, if God is real and what my Catholic people told me is real. Or probably- my soul, or consciousness, or whatever energy I'm left as, will evaporate from my body and just dissolve into nothing. Or I can stay and be a cool ghost who spies on everyone. I honestly prefer the latter.

He seemed a teeny wee bit appalled, and ignored my answers continuing to ask answers from everyone else with greater enthusiasm. I got a bit salty.

Ultimately he said: If you're unsure where you'll go as soon as you die then you're in trouble. Bla bla bla. You don't need to be nice, the Bible says John 3:16 *quotes it*. As long as you believe in Him, you'll go to heaven and have an eternal life. What part says here that people have to pray for you for 49 days so that you can go to heaven? What part says here that you can stay along and be a ghost? Read the verse, READ IT. See how the sentences are structured. NOW, IF YOU DIE AN HOUR LATER, WHERE WILL YOU END UP IN? *while looking at me*

Everyone else: Heaven.

And ends with giving everyone a tiny pack of cheap chocolate waffles. Not that I don't like all Christans. If ever, their speeches and preaches make more sense than any other religion or cults lol, but you don't gain respect from people by ridiculing what other people said just so you can make your case a little bit more impactful. Of course no one, not even me can say anything about this human being rude because he's the guy over there, who has control over the entire setting, has read all of the Bible. Then there's me on the cornermost.. corner, only knowing a few verses! Once arguments like this come to happen, he who reads the Bible more always wins because it always comes down on who can pull out the right verses to justify himself. Like a Yu-gi-oh game if you guys are familiar with that, except you know what card would you draw out from your deck next.

I don't hate anyone, maybe that guy a little bit but that's it. I've always been a salty player who picks up on people's hostile words/actions easily. I'm sure though, that every listener on that room, without any doubt, felt a bit uncomfy with how he acted towards me.

I looked at everyone as the guy kept muttering stuff ridiculing me. No one stood up for me.. it makes me sad. I'm the oddball among all the girls in the dorm, but I'm also the one who makes the most contribution, like tutoring everyone and making their art projects for them, fixing their computers and even lending them cash. I help all of them on a daily basis and no one remembers how nice I've been to them enough to defend me from this.. This hostile human.

So yeah that's it, people are jerks. I'm going to move to Pluto. Good luck getting rid of those impurities on your computer's biches. Jk ily all, but I won't help you guys anymore since you don't help me at all.

Rant over.

Actually I just wanted to ask you guys the question on the thread title, I think I got a bit carried away xD Thank you for reading, if you read it all the way down here.

I think you will go where you believe you will go.
I’m sorry that people are so damned arrogant...this irritates me also to no end.

I’m not anti-christian, but I do like to play devil’s advocate and offer counter opinions for people to consider and think about.
Here are some interesting articles for you to ponder.

First one about the void/purgatory
https://www.infjs.com/threads/merkabah.27025/page-83#post-781894

This one about Christianity in general
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican32.htm

I think you will go where you believe you will go.
I’m sorry that people are so damned arrogant...this irritates me also to no end.

Thank you for this comment, I feel much better now that someone else thinks this guy is arrogant too. He launched a few more attacks in between but eh the post would become too long.

Also thanks for these links c:

Have no clue. Part of me wants to continue to exist in hopes of getting answers not available here. Part of me wants to be done with the whole thing, give the finger to whatever created me and pop out of existence forever.

If I continue to exist after I die I imagine me being a thorn in the side of whatever thought it was a good idea to create me. Because really if we continue on, thats a pretty good indication that something did isnt it?

Reactions: Sugarcoat
Thank you for this comment, I feel much better now that someone else thinks this guy is arrogant too. He launched a few more attacks in between but eh the post would become too long.

Also thanks for these links c:

You’re welcome.
Merkabah is my thread (the first link), it has many such articles on life after death and the question of reality, etc.
Hope you can find something to help lead you to some answers.
Take care!

I'm afraid there's nothing. This is it. Which makes existence more terrifyingly delicate and beautiful.

BUT at the same time, there is a lot out there that is unexplained. So I'm open. I don't have any set theological beliefs.

I'm afraid there's nothing. This is it. Which makes existence more terrifyingly delicate and beautiful.

BUT at the same time, there is a lot out there that is unexplained. So I'm open. I don't have any set theological beliefs.
Do you say "you are afraid" out of a sense of assuredness or that you are actually afraid of the likely posibility?

Reactions: Sugarcoat
Do you say "you are afraid" out of a sense of assuredness or that you are actually afraid of the likely posibility?
It's a disconcerting thought that once you die; there's nothing. I think what scares me most about it is never being with the people I love again. That there won't be any reunion. That once people die they are gone. But it forces you to be more present and to not take things and people for granted. So there's that at least.

But I'm not assured about anything when it comes to theology or spiritual things. I guess I'm agnostic.

I've come across many people like what the OP described. They think they're all that wise because they've read some ancient books and then pretend to know everything about our existence. If you ask a Christian what they believe they will tell you one thing, if you ask a Hindu, they will tell you another thing. Do this with the over 4000 religions in the world and you realize that no one knows a *bleep* of what's going to happen. They're all conjectures.

I have no idea what awaits us when we die, and the only way to find out is not necessarily a nice one. I can wait lol

I like Woody Allen's dad take on the afterlife on minute 1:18

Last edited:
Its best just not to worry about it, you don't worry about not having existed before you were born, why would you worry about it after you've died? It makes no sense, just go out and live.

Oh and if friends or relatives die and you never got to "say goodbye" don't worry about that either. I've done it both ways where someone died without my telling them how much I appreciated them and the other way. Its a waste of everyone's time, they know you like them and it doesn't actually give you any closure or at least it didn't for me.

So just don't worry about all of this, it's just a waste of time and energy to freak out about it.

A Christian student visited my dormitory recently, and he asked us: If you die an hour later, where do you think you'll go?

Brought up by a Catholic family, I somehow just knew that my people believed that if people die, they are sent to stay in the purgatory to wait for 49 days to see if their families and loved ones would pray for them so that they can go to heaven. It sounds fishy and I know there are terms and conditions that may apply. I have tons of questions but eh I couldn't be bothered much because other humans like to twist words and there are so many versions of it too. I could read the Bible which I have been trying to for years but maybe I'll do it next year.

Anyway, yes I told him: Probably the purgatory, if God is real and what my Catholic people told me is real. Or probably- my soul, or consciousness, or whatever energy I'm left as, will evaporate from my body and just dissolve into nothing. Or I can stay and be a cool ghost who spies on everyone. I honestly prefer the latter.

He seemed a teeny wee bit appalled, and ignored my answers continuing to ask answers from everyone else with greater enthusiasm. I got a bit salty.

Ultimately he said: If you're unsure where you'll go as soon as you die then you're in trouble. Bla bla bla. You don't need to be nice, the Bible says John 3:16 *quotes it*. As long as you believe in Him, you'll go to heaven and have an eternal life. What part says here that people have to pray for you for 49 days so that you can go to heaven? What part says here that you can stay along and be a ghost? Read the verse, READ IT. See how the sentences are structured. NOW, IF YOU DIE AN HOUR LATER, WHERE WILL YOU END UP IN? *while looking at me*

Everyone else: Heaven.

And ends with giving everyone a tiny pack of cheap chocolate waffles. Not that I don't like all Christans. If ever, their speeches and preaches make more sense than any other religion or cults lol, but you don't gain respect from people by ridiculing what other people said just so you can make your case a little bit more impactful. Of course no one, not even me can say anything about this human being rude because he's the guy over there, who has control over the entire setting, has read all of the Bible. Then there's me on the cornermost.. corner, only knowing a few verses! Once arguments like this come to happen, he who reads the Bible more always wins because it always comes down on who can pull out the right verses to justify himself. Like a Yu-gi-oh game if you guys are familiar with that, except you know what card would you draw out from your deck next.

I don't hate anyone, maybe that guy a little bit but that's it. I've always been a salty player who picks up on people's hostile words/actions easily. I'm sure though, that every listener on that room, without any doubt, felt a bit uncomfy with how he acted towards me.

I looked at everyone as the guy kept muttering stuff ridiculing me. No one stood up for me.. it makes me sad. I'm the oddball among all the girls in the dorm, but I'm also the one who makes the most contribution, like tutoring everyone and making their art projects for them, fixing their computers and even lending them cash. I help all of them on a daily basis and no one remembers how nice I've been to them enough to defend me from this.. This hostile human.

So yeah that's it, people are jerks. I'm going to move to Pluto. Good luck getting rid of those impurities on your computer's biches. Jk ily all, but I won't help you guys anymore since you don't help me at all.

Rant over.

Actually I just wanted to ask you guys the question on the thread title, I think I got a bit carried away xD Thank you for reading, if you read it all the way down here.
I would have thought “I’m going to heaven if it’s a place where I don’t have to listen to you blathering on and withholding chocolate waffles.” Lo did he feedeth the entire group with a single box of choco-waffles.

That dude is an asshole and a moron and also misinformed which is hilarious. The whole point is that you can be saved upon death, at least at the very edge of it. You don't need to believe "an hour before" (again, major lol there) because you will be absolved at the time of your passing if you are a believer at that moment in time, no sooner is it required. That's what makes Christianity and it's adherents both beautiful and entirely absurd imho.

As for the question at hand, I'm quite certain there is some sort of "after" but explaining it in any sort of context seems impossible.

My personal belief is that we're gong through an "experience" to learn things. I don't conform to any religious belief or organisation.

That said I do have a deep religious belief, which for me means loving, and caring about each other, and this world that we live in. I don't understand why that is such a difficult thing for people to say, when its clearly what most people really feel.

As for what happens after death. We're seemingly made of atoms, so our physical body decays and is recycled. But I think after death the essence of us goes through a transition.

Our intuition, is knowing things without knowing how. I think this is maybe how that happens.

avZo7rn_460s.jpg

Ive always liked this.