Where are all the ISTPs?! | INFJ Forum

Where are all the ISTPs?!

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
I've looked for a while and haven't found a booming thread or large number of them anywhere. I heard they roam around mechanical places.

This is just a strange phenomenom.

I've suspected for a while based on test I take all turning out ISTP or ISTJ that I may not be an INFJ [ which is irrelevant because it really shouldn't matter what my type is; I fit in here just fine] but I'd like to figure out why I'm typing differently and if it could indeed be possible. I thought, Hey, I'll just go to the ISTP forum and poke around. Which I did, they had a total of about 13 threads before the forum died. Which makes you wonder...

Where are all the ISTPs?!

Well, where are you? Talk about yourself to me. Or, other people who know ISTPs...give me your insight. I've never met one before. :pop2:

I am friends with one. He doesn't seem to like the internet beyond 4chan... *gags*

Those both make sense. ISTP doesn't seem like the most personable type.

We need to post something in the ISTP forum. They need to know that INFJ's require their assistance with a... forum malfuction. Yes, that's what we need help with. We should never tell them we really want them here

:mpoke:

I'm a ISTP... I'm also new to this forums... hello

Now be a bit more pacific of what you want to know abut ISTPs and i'll try to help out :)

As to the question.. Where are all the ISTPs?.. I'm at home, but i can't speek for all

Last edited:
hmph... my ISTP friend is brilliant. he's articulate, LOVES the internet, is definitely on the car forums, and once he lets you get to know him, he's freaking hilarious. he's one of the smartest people i've ever met, and also the biggest smart ass, but he's quiet and antisocial. when we were growing up he always walked fast, fists at side and head down. he's efficient in most things and evasive with people unless he thinks you genuinely want to know an answer than he for the most part will always come up with his idea of the best solution. he gets bored easily and will never truly let you in, and he likes to be entertained... especially made to laugh. he's uncomfortable with emotions, and he's not going to just go around telling you how he's feeelliinngg. if he likes you he's going to help you, but he's going to pat you on the head for being weak, then he's going to wait for you to say or do something new, interesting, and hopefully fun.

jeez... now i wonder if i have all my friends pegged this way...

does anyone else have any istp friends? i want to know if these characteristics solely belong to my friend or if they fit in to the ISTP type...

just curious.

Last edited:
Mine sounds like he'd fit that description, too.

Don't forget they are a bit of a rebel...

As for Feelings... There not always logical, so we have a tough time understanding them ourselfs, being a high T does not help at all. To find out what ISTPs are thinking is tough sometimes too becuase we like to live in the moment and take each event as they come. (How to get X done with out exerting my self, is what i think about anytime there is a task.)

...I would be an ISTP who is not to into cars and what not...
I'm told ISTPs like MMO-RPGs... I know i do.

They're all in the garage, pimping my ride.

There are quite a few over on the typeologycentral forum.

hmph... my ISTP friend is brilliant. he's articulate, LOVES the internet, is definitely on the car forums, and once he lets you get to know him, he's freaking hilarious. he's one of the smartest people i've ever met, and also the biggest smart ass, but he's quiet and antisocial. when we were growing up he always walked fast, fists at side and head down. he's efficient in most things and evasive with people unless he thinks you genuinely want to know an answer than he for the most part will always come up with his idea of the best solution. he gets bored easily and will never truly let you in, and he likes to be entertained... especially made to laugh. he's uncomfortable with emotions, and he's not going to just go around telling you how he's feeelliinngg. if he likes you he's going to help you, but he's going to pat you on the head for being weak, then he's going to wait for you to say or do something new, interesting, and hopefully fun.

Minus the cars stuff, that sounds a lot like an ISTP friend of mine.

From the description it fits my last bf. He has a Jeep he is really into fixing and riding on trails. He has high morals he has built himself. He is very independent, but he says he would never live by himself. He is a graphic designer and he brews beer. He doesn't want to marry or have children. He is very gentle and kind to those he has chosen, but can be somewhat confrontational to those he has reason not to like. He doesn't discuss his feelings. He is very smart.

I'd like a few ISTPs pimping my tricycle.

Where indeed

I found this thread amusing, so I created an account and posted.

Good luck. The booming response you've thus far gotten is really all the answer you'll get.

The beauty of anonymity is that I'm somewhat willing to talk a little more. If you have questions, feel free to shoot. Just don't get ridiculous.

From the description it fits my last bf. He doesn't want to marry or have children. He is very gentle and kind to those he has chosen, but can be somewhat confrontational to those he has reason not to like. He doesn't discuss his feelings. He is very smart.

Not necessarily true, about not wanting to marry. He just won't talk truthfully about it unless it's on his terms. Letting your heart out like that puts a whole new spin on trusting other people, and I'll be damned if that's gonna happen on anything but my terms :) So naturally, we decline to discuss it, or we just plain put the notion to bed as far as everyone else is concerned.

Marriage doesn't have an easy out, either.

One of my best friends is an ISTP, actually. He just doesn't arse around with MBTI at all, even if he agreed with the description.

He's a great complement to my personality, as if he embodies the part of me that doesn't come out all that often, but is still obvious to me. He's also convinced he as Asperger's, which is probably true.

My brother's an ISTP and a wonderful guy. Lots of similarities to your description, dneecey. He's an auto mechanic. (Surprised?) He's not happy enough with his place of work to actually enjoy it, but he's sane enough to stick it out and make the best of it -- if that makes sense. He feels his biggest problems come from being too logical, but yet he's not hurtful.

In his case, I would say that the first and fourth letters are his most pronounced. I have no trouble relating to him on an Ne or Fi level, but not both at once. He's so understatedly clever that it almost gives me pain. He and I are always inventing words or alternate pronunciations for what we think makes us observant, or for what we actually mean to say.

ex1: A golf sportscaster remarks: "Mike Weir's short game is immaculate." My brother would reply: " . . . whereas my short game is maculate."

ex2: My turn: "Would you like some po-MEG-ra-NAH-tay juice?" (This word is pronounced "POM-e-GRA-nate" by other Earthlings.)

The Big Bang Theory is his favourite show. Ti personified! He gets a kick out of intuition, but mostly in others.

I hope he finds a great lady someday. Neither one of us date much, but he's quietly charming and looks like a European supermodel. I know he has confidence, but we don't really talk about the dating arena. He has surprising moments of emotional insight, they're just not prolonged. He and I have both expressed a desire for a relationship with our ISTJ Dad that includes the occasional innocent manly hug -- the kind of relationship some of our friends have -- but Dad doesn't go for that. He wonders if that might have stunted our development. My brother is the biggest advocate around for our aging dog. It's sweet, but at the same time, he's not quite an F either.

My humble suggestion -- and this is just a generality: if you're looking for ISTPs, wanting to see them self-identify as such or express an interest in the MBTI, is probably barking up the wrong tree. Psychology theories are probably of more service to Ns.

Last edited:
Inmypantsandoutofthisworld.

or

Outofmypantsandinthisworld

Pantsandinthisworldoutofmy.

I am having one of my moods :m051: