When does a girl become a woman (or a boy become a man?) | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

When does a girl become a woman (or a boy become a man?)

When he / she made their first kill.
Do we ever get to know ourselves full if we haven't seen the look in the eyes of a dying man or woman?
I think not.

Have you?

thats a toughy...

I think its life experirnces that determine that...There are still 50 year old men who cater to their inner child, therefore have never really reached true manhood...The same with women...

I think that by age definition between 21-23 you start to really develop a sense of responsibility in life. There fore an adult...but your still young enough to miss the freedom of your youth...After thirty i think is when adulthood really kicks in...

But its all a matter of personal experiences too...I considered myself an adult at 17 based on my life experiences.

mental Maturity, and physical maturity are two different things tho...

To me, when one is not only able to take care of oneself and his/her loved ones, but also experienced in it as well - which also assumes that the person is individual or self-aware enough to understand these responsibilities; that is what makes you a man or a woman. But maturity seems like an illusion considering all people have their different opinions on where it starts and where it ends. It's entirely a societal concept. I plan on living my life always saying to myself I'm not quite mature yet so I'm always trying harder to make myself better!

I would say it is maturity...when someone begins making good decisions beyond their years.
In earlier years, America had an 8 yr old ambassador. I also read stories about frontier boys and girls that had to raise and care for families after their parent/s died.

I agree. The age when this occurs is subjective to an individual.

On a related note I also believe that
Going through puberty =\= Letting your hormones take control of you.

As soon as she makes me that damn sandwich!

<--- old soul thoughts yet still lacks this thing called adulthood. :m075:
What should I do. :m142:

So, if a 12-year old is self sufficient and self sustaining should he be considered a man and be allowed to live on his own. etc.?
I vote yes. I take it you disagree?

Those are just words. I don't know whoever dares to claim they are self-sufficient or independent. They should be thrown in the vacuum of space millions light years away from here, or in a black hole, and rethink how self-sufficient they are.

i actually have no idea. I know when I was younger I kept looking for the elusive thing that made me a woman. Various rites of passage did nothing for me. Starting my period, losing my virginity etc. If it's a matter of taking care of yourself, well i had to do that from the moment I could walk and talk out of necessity.

i honestly feel younger than i did when I was a child. Perhaps its because I didn't get much in the way of a childhood. i don't know, maybe there is no one thing that makes one a woman or a man, but a personal threshold you cross without realizing its significance until after you're on the other side of it. Like your own personal Rubicon.

If i crossed it. i didn't feel a thing. i think i'll be one of those people who toes the line until the day I die.