When Cognitive Function Scores Conflict | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

When Cognitive Function Scores Conflict

Both. These are two distinct situations that can also overlap.

Your suggestion of permanent type change deviates from what I've read about there being one natural MBTI type. I understand based on what you've presented here that you believe there is, in rare cases, a situation where type actually changes instead of simply manifesting lesser preferred functions to a greater degree. What I do not understand is why you believe this.

I am unconvinced that general MBTI understanding needs to be amended to allow for type change. Development of lesser functions to meet stress demands seems sufficient explanation to me and I've not seen anything presented here to explain why type change is a necessary explanation.

This looks like you're an INFJ that is leaning more on your Ni than not. Your Intuition score is MUCH higher than your Feeling score, which would not be the case if you were an INFP, which is Fi > Ne. More proof that you are an INFJ is that your P score is extremely slight, which could indicate that you are Ni dominant while actually being a 'J' type personality. Your Feeling score is low, which means your Ni is much stronger than your Fe. These scores indicate INFJ.

Ahhh. That's what it is then. I've the same issue and I score similarly to PoeticJustice. I tested INFJ many times when younger, but show up "on the cusp" of P/J on recent tests. Does this mean we have work to do to restore Fe? A quest, perhaps?

I've also been under the impression that types don't change, according to the experts out on the Net.

But do we bend, and how far can we bend before we start to change... its all an interesting theory...

So here's an example for you Von Hase:

In undergraduate college I always tested as a strong INFJ. When I was in graduate school, my advisor was attempting to shape me. He complained about my use of feeling in papers, and hated my organization of thoughts. Slowly, I forged a skill to write a descent technical document. In the end, though, it never felt natural. I ended up leaving research academia because it was just too painful to write LPUs (least publishable units.)

My interpretation of this was that when I dumped my Ti onto paper it was unbearable to read (tons of prepositions), and that when I related my Ni it failed to translate into meaningful Te. Converting to my inferior functions was just too painful, so I left to chase my Ni and Fe.

Does that make any sense? Anyway, now I test as an INF on the cusp of J/P (usually 1 or 2% J). Am I now just focused on Ni and Ne and losing touch with Fe?

Did I bend, and then run before I broke?
Could I have crossed that boundary and ended up INTP, or would I have had a breakdown?

I donno. What do you think?

Last edited:
Ahhh. That's what it is then. I've the same issue and I score similarly to PoeticJustice. I tested INFJ many times when younger, but show up "on the cusp" of P/J on recent tests. Does this mean we have work to do to restore Fe? A quest, perhaps?

The more you embrace your Fe, and to a lesser extent your Ti, the stronger your J scores will become.

I don't think there is any reason to try to increase your Fe scores unless you feel that you want to. However, I do believe that it is in anyone's best interest to develop all of their cognitive functions as well as they can.