When Cognitive Function Scores Conflict | INFJ Forum

When Cognitive Function Scores Conflict

How would this work in practice. I.e. sometime I score enfj and sometimes infj in the cognitive function test. And sometimes they or messed up together.

How would you know which one is the new type?

also, you could be somewhat a product of different types thus conflicting scores.
how would you know if you are in the process of changing type or not?

How would this work in practice.

For example, someone who traditionally scores consistently as ENFP begins to have the following preferences in their scores:

Ne > Ni > Fi > Fe > Te > Si > Se > Ti

This indicates that the individual may be developing into an INFJ. Ni is growing stronger than Fi, and Fe is overtaking Te, but Se and Ti are still at the bottom of their preferences.

I.e. sometime I score enfj and sometimes infj in the cognitive function test. And sometimes they or messed up together.

This could follow the same pattern, but could also simply be the result of well developed dominant and secondary functions. Splitting between the Introverted and Extroverted versions of like types is very common for people who are well developed cognitively. People lean more strongly on different functions as needed. Someone who has a well developed Fe and Ni will shift between seeming like an INFJ or an ENFJ depending on which approach to thinking is best suited to adapt to the situation.

However, these leanings could eventually become the norm, and the progression over time may look something like this:

Ni > Fe > Ti > Se > Ne > Fi > Te > Si = INFJ
Fe > Ni > Ti > Se > Fi > Ne > Te > Si = INFJ leaning ENFJ
Fe > Ni > Se > Ti > Fi > Ne > Te > Si = ENFJ leaning INFJ
Fe > Ni > Se > Ti > Fi > Ne > Si > Te = ENFJ

How would you know which one is the new type?

The new type will be the one that emerges through pattern. If there is no emergent pattern, then it is likely that your results simply indicate a balanced development of primary functions, and the discrepancies are simply indicating your current lean of adaptation.

In my experience, it is quite common for ENFJs to test as INFJs when they are leaning introspective to use their inferior Ti function. Leaning on Ti in this manner causes ENFJs to also lean on their secondary Ni, as these are their introspective functions. In order to take cognitive function tests, ENFJs who have good degree of development in Ni and Ti will reflexively lean on them to answer the introspective questions. The end result is a set of scores that often appears to be slightly Introverted, or slightly favoring Ni and Ti over Fe and Se respectively.

A good way to tell the difference would be to inventory yourself with these links.

INFJ

ENFJ

also, you could be somewhat a product of different types thus conflicting scores. how would you know if you are in the process of changing type or not?

The cognitive function model is reactive based on natural pairings. For example, when Ni becomes dominant a secondary judging function will emerge in the form of Fe or Te. Ni never pairs with another Percieving function nor Ti or Fi. If someone has function preferences implying this, then it is likely that they are in a transition or they simply had a poor interaction with the test.

Last edited:
Im still new to this :) thanks for explaining.

My understanding is that within MBTI type theory, type does not change.

Are you suggesting an alteration to the theory or are you suggesting not really a type change, but rather a development of lesser used functions that can, for a time, give the appearance of type change?

My understanding is that within MBTI type theory, type does not change.

Are you suggesting an alteration to the theory or are you suggesting not really a type change, but rather a development of lesser used functions that can, for a time, give the appearance of type change?

Both.

I have seen several distinct examples of type change in individuals. It is not common, and is always a forced adaptation, but it does happen. The human mind is far too dynamic and adaptive not to be capable of changing to suit new challenges. In most cases, this takes the form of merely developing lesser functions, especially if this is all that is required to adapt to a stressor. For example, someone who is poor at math but must pass a class will likely develop their Ti and/or Te to overcome the stressor. This won't cause them to make a preference shift, simply increase capacity with those functions. However, in a long term stress situation such as Law School, a student may not only develop a strong degree of Te, Ni, and Si, but may eventually change their preferences to adapt to the requirements to avoid failing out.

Both.

I have seen several distinct examples of type change in individuals. It is not common, and is always a forced adaptation, but it does happen. The human mind is far too dynamic and adaptive not to be capable of changing to suit new challenges. In most cases, this takes the form of merely developing lesser functions, especially if this is all that is required to adapt to a stressor. For example, someone who is poor at math but must pass a class will likely develop their Ti and/or Te to overcome the stressor. This won't cause them to make a preference shift, simply increase capacity with those functions. However, in a long term stress situation such as Law School, a student may not only develop a strong degree of Te, Ni, and Si, but may eventually change their preferences to adapt to the requirements to avoid failing out.

Thanks, I appreciate that further description. I'm not in opposition to the idea that the current theory may not fully capture reality. I allow for the possibility that, under long-term stress, cognitive functioning may actually make permanent change.

However, what distinguishes between permanent preference ordering change and just a longer-term manifestation of adaptation to stress? My understanding of established MBTI theory is that type does not change, but one may manifest, for a time, stronger roles for lesser developed functions. To me, that seems sufficient to describe any variations in results.

What in your experience leads you to think that the MBTI theory needs amendment in some cases to state that what is actually taking place is permanent preference order, or type, change?

There is no substantial evidence to suggest that types change.(except for individual testimonials, and without any research this claim is doubtful) Our other functions do develop however which leads people to make assumptions about using functions that they don't actually do.

[For example, INTPs who think think they are INFPs when they start experiencing inferior Fe, which manifests in their self-perception in an introverted manner, or INFJs who confuse themselves for being INTP because there is a discrepancy between how they use their Ti and Fe.]

It's unclear as to whether we are genetically, or in some other way wired toward having these preferences, but the current typological model suggests that the functions for each type are fixed. Functions cannot be quantified within the psyche as the test suggests and self assessment is biased, to say the least, making this a very fallacious method when it comes to determining someone's type.

In my opinion, it is more likely that false conclusions when it comes to functions use, and being mislead by test results occurred, rather than having a somehow abnormal functional hierarchy.

Last edited:
It doesn't necessarily mean they are in transition. It could mean they find that manifesting multiple types is to their advantage; versatility in exchange for more thoroughly developed functioning.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are in transition. It could mean they find that manifesting multiple types is to their advantage; versatility in exchange for more thoroughly developed functioning.

Agree. In most of our everyday interaction, we display multiple selves, in order to complete varied tasks or responsibilities. So, manifesting different types is normal and expected. In this sense, we may develop and exercise inferior functions. As a result, we manifest different type characteristics.

Agree. In most of our everyday interaction, we display multiple selves, in order to complete varied tasks or responsibilities. So, manifesting different types is normal and expected. In this sense, we may develop and exercise inferior functions. As a result, we manifest different type characteristics.
Ah yes "multiple selves". As INFJ's we do have those inner selves we just don't share, or to a rare few. We are super guarded when we are concerned with how we are being viewed, for example maybe at work, and we can seem very INTJ. Then when we are with those we trust and are comfortable with, we can let our feelings run wild, and seem very energetic and lovey. Maybe even downright P over J.

Then, when we go take our MBTI we have to wonder how we really do act "overall". Its hard to sum ourselves up when we have wildly different personas in our lives, and I can see a person who was mostly serious and working would come out INTJ more and more, even if they are INFJ.

I believe our function order doesn't change but our preferences do. We've been given this inborn personality type and we can do whatever we want with it. Every INFJ has it's functions individually developed to different degrees. Type has it's external self and internal self (Ni Ti) and (Fe Se) for infj's. Introverts use naturally their internal mode and infj's are likely to develop great imagination and logical abilities. But if introvert is driven to meet challenges of external world and wants to attend the playfield of extroverts the external self is pushed to charge. It's much harder for introvert to act extroverted because we must use our inferior Se. Most people avoid using it because it sucks the energy out of it's user very quickly. It's draining, and very slow to develop but with pain and tears we can develop our capacity to handle external situations, until it becames our comfort-zone. When that happens our inborn mould has been reshaped. Even if we have good grasp of our extroverted processes our function arrangement doesn't change. Extroverted INFJ will always start from Ni and then go to Fe altough Fe is more trusted function for him/her.

INFJ who has spended most of his life extroverting and has job that requires good social skills could have functions developed like this?

32439373.jpg

People could easily type him/her as ENFJ.

Last edited:
I believe our function order doesn't change but our preferences do. We've been given this inborn personality type and we can do whatever we want with it. Every INFJ has it's functions individually developed to different degrees. Type has it's external self and internal self (Ni Ti) and (Fe Se) for infj's. Introverts use naturally their internal mode and infj's are likely to develop great imagination and logical abilities. But if introvert is driven to meet challenges of external world and wants to attend the playfield of extroverts the external self is pushed to charge. It's much harder for introvert to act extroverted because we must use our inferior Se. Most people avoid using it because it sucks the energy out of it's user very quickly. It's draining, and very slow to develop but with pain and tears we can develop our capacity to handle external situations, until it becames our comfort-zone. When that happens our inborn mould has been reshaped. Even if we have good grasp of our extroverted processes our function arrangement doesn't change. Extroverted INFJ will always start from Ni and then go to Fe altough Fe is more trusted function for him/her.

INFJ who has spended most of his life extroverting and has job that requires good social skills could have functions developed like this?

32439373.jpg

People could easily type him/her as ENFJ.

However, a person with this configuration could appear as an INFJ...

View attachment 2632

...which is what I think is the case with me.

Last edited:
[SIZE=+1]Your Type is
[SIZE=+2]INFP[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Introverted 22[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Intuitive 88[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Feeling 38[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Perceiving[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]11[/SIZE]

I used to get either ENTJ or INFJ depending on my mood. I get this everytime now
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
[SIZE=+1]Your Type is
[SIZE=+2]INFP[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Introverted 22[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Intuitive 88[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Feeling 38[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Perceiving[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]11[/SIZE]

I used to get either ENTJ or INFJ depending on my mood. I get this everytime now
[/SIZE]

This looks like you're an INFJ that is leaning more on your Ni than not. Your Intuition score is MUCH higher than your Feeling score, which would not be the case if you were an INFP, which is Fi > Ne. More proof that you are an INFJ is that your P score is extremely slight, which could indicate that you are Ni dominant while actually being a 'J' type personality. Your Feeling score is low, which means your Ni is much stronger than your Fe. These scores indicate INFJ.

I'd also assume that you tested ENTJ under stress, probably in a situation that demanded your Ti function and for you to be more social... school perhaps?

A lot of these responses prove the first thing I stated. It is extremely rare that people actually change their preferences. More often than not, changes in test result scores simply indicate changes in mood and momentary development phases.

When people really do change their preferences, the pattern will emerge as a constant drift in scores over a long period of time. A permanent change in cognitive function preferences will never be quick.

*sigh* This is getting me in one of those moods where I'm going to obsess about my type for weeks on end. Must.Resist.Urge to over analyze self. I just got comfortable with thinking I'm an Infj, but I still test INTP half the time. Meh.

I'd also assume that you tested ENTJ under stress, probably in a situation that demanded your Ti function and for you to be more social... school perhaps?

I am an employment coach and have to manage an extremely high caseload of clients which can be rather stressful and obviously requires me to be/pretend to be very sociable.

Excellent prediction. well done

A lot of these responses prove the first thing I stated. It is extremely rare that people actually change their preferences. More often than not, changes in test result scores simply indicate changes in mood and momentary development phases.

When people really do change their preferences, the pattern will emerge as a constant drift in scores over a long period of time. A permanent change in cognitive function preferences will never be quick.

I'm still feeling confused about why permanent type change is being advocated as descriptive of these situations.

What is inadequate about the explanation of lesser functions developing to meet demands of an external stress?

Is it because when this happens it makes identification of type under the "one type always" theory more difficult and so assessing type based on dominant active functions in a given time period is more straightforward?

I'm still feeling confused about why permanent type change is being advocated as descriptive of these situations.

What is inadequate about the explanation of lesser functions developing to meet demands of an external stress?

Is it because when this happens it makes identification of type under the "one type always" theory more difficult and so assessing type based on dominant active functions in a given time period is more straightforward?

Both. These are two distinct situations that can also overlap.