What's your opinion on sociopaths? | Page 11 | INFJ Forum

What's your opinion on sociopaths?

I'm glad you posted that. They have distinct differences and I think people often get the two confused.
There isn't an actual difference, just hobbyists' distinctions (which are inconsistent from one article to the next).

There is only one standard diagnosis in the most used classification: antisocial personality disorder. According to the article @Sinny posted, I'm more psychopath than sociopath. I prefer "sociopath" because it doesn't have the phonetic connotations of psychosis.

There isn't an actual difference, just hobbyists' distinctions (which are inconsistent from one article to the next).

There is only one standard diagnosis in the most used classification: antisocial personality disorder. According to the article @Sinny posted, I'm more psychopath than sociopath. I prefer "sociopath" because it doesn't have the phonetic connotations of psychosis.

I had already come to that conclusion.

I wasn't supposed to stop there, but formatting is difficult and temperamental on my phone.

Here's a supplementary piece to the last, which challenges some misconceptions:

Flavus, would you copy it over?
https://www.elementsbehavioralhealt...ychopathy-vs-antisocial-personality-disorder/

Ennea Type 8 and relation to APD

• Naranjo's 'Character & Neurosis': Type 8 Chapter
  • The anti-social personality disorder described in DSM-III may be regarded as a pathological extreme and a special instance of ennea-type VIII The broader syndrome may be better evoked through Reich’s label of “phallic narcissistic” character or Horney’s description of the vindictive personality. The word “sadistic” seems particularly appropriate in view of its position opposite the masochistic character of ennea-type IV.

Last edited:
I wasn't supposed to stop there, but formatting is difficult and temperamental on my phone.

Here's a supplementary piece to the last, which challenges some misconceptions:

Flavus, would you copy it over?
https://www.elementsbehavioralhealt...ychopathy-vs-antisocial-personality-disorder/
It's a summary for an argument that the American Psychiatric Association should have a distinct diagnosis for psychopathy. In 2013 they decided not to define a distinct diagnosis.
(That's the practical gist of the article).

It's a summary for an argument that the American Psychiatric Association should have a distinct diagnosis for psychopathy. In 2013 they decided not to define a distinct diagnosis.
(That's the practical gist of the article).

That's not the information I wanted to draw your attention to, and if thats all you gleaned of import from it, then you aren't really demonstrating any interest in the true mechanics of diagnosis..which is what I'm trying to outline, but as I've just lost yet another long edit, and you evidently have no interest in aiding, I'm gunna give up until I get to PC.

That's not the information I wanted to draw your attention to, and if thats all you gleaned of import from it, then you aren't really demonstrating any interest in the true mechanics of diagnosis..which is what I'm trying to outline, but as I've just lost yet another long edit, and you evidently have no interest in aiding, I'm gunna give up until I get to PC.
I've read too many conflicting descriptions and proposed diagnosis criteria to attach too much interest to any one framework.

Most of them focus on behavioral indicators and not the underlying cause.

My own interest would be for it to be classified as an affective/emotional deficit disorder, rather than a personality disorder. My own classification system would probably follow the Jungian types, as expressed manifestations of the condition.

(On my HTC phone).

Reactions: Krypton
morans.jpg

I don't care if she spelled it correctly. This is immediately what I thought.

Almost thought this was a pic of me, except there is not enough grey hair.

I don't really think it's fair to say that sociopaths are people without god because they possess deficits that most do not... It is wise to be wary, but not to judge.

The only issue with that is that people with low empathy (sociopaths) would have no problem with judging you and would use your empathetic ability to be considerate towards them to their advantage but would not be able to reciprocate.

Be wary of anyone who has no problem with pointing the finger of judgement on others but then plays the victim card when others do the same to them. There is more credibility to asking for consideration of one's weaknesses if the same consideration is offered to others.

I lived with someone like that for 26 years and managed to handle it through seeing it as a disability that they can't help, and this may be true, but at the same time they will use it as a way to manipulate you and get what they want and will have no problem if they harm you in the process. So, in the end, if you don't hold them accountable for their behaviour it is harmful to everyone involved. I learned the hard way that being kind and considerate towards someone who has a hard time being kind and considerate in return does not lead to better relationships or to better understanding.

The only reason I felt compelled to comment on this post is not because I believe in being judgemental, I don't, but because I have thought the same way you do and it can lead people down a path of trying to be understanding of someone who can't return the favour. Putting myself in that position almost crushed me. I wouldn't wish that kind of relationship on anyone. The only way to deal with someone who has low empathy is to try to match them in that regard. I know this is online and no harm is coming of defending Flavus Aquila, but I'm also quite sure that if he really is a sociopath that none of us are hurting his feelings. He will be just fine no matter what any of us say or don't say.

@ Flavus Aquila I don't dislike you (despite that I disagree a lot with you) and I'm glad that you have religion to help you. I happen to know first hand that people who can identify as sociopaths can act decently and do the right thing when they truly believe that it is the right thing to do, but I don't think that they can love as in the Christian agape love. I think most people can't do that (not just sociopaths), and empathy is a big part of it so I can't see how it would be possible for someone with low natural empathy to even begin to understand what that kind of love is. However, you may have a more cerebral idea of God and if it brings you meaning and discipline to your life then good for you.

I wish you well, but I don't think you need to be protected from people judging you for your identification as a sociopath.

P. S. - not that I think you care at all what I think of you, lol, you just have a thread on a topic that is close to my heart and I had to exercise my right to free speech :D

The only issue with that is that people with low empathy (sociopaths) would have no problem with judging you and would use your empathetic ability to be considerate towards them to their advantage but would not be able to reciprocate.

Be wary of anyone who has no problem with pointing the finger of judgement on others but then plays the victim card when others do the same to them. There is more credibility to asking for consideration of one's weaknesses if the same consideration is offered to others.

I lived with someone like that for 26 years and managed to handle it through seeing it as a disability that they can't help, and this may be true, but at the same time they will use it as a way to manipulate you and get what they want and will have no problem if they harm you in the process. So, in the end, if you don't hold them accountable for their behaviour it is harmful to everyone involved. I learned the hard way that being kind and considerate towards someone who has a hard time being kind and considerate in return does not lead to better relationships or to better understanding.

The only reason I felt compelled to comment on this post is not because I believe in being judgemental, I don't, but because I have thought the same way you do and it can lead people down a path of trying to be understanding of someone who can't return the favour. Putting myself in that position almost crushed me. I wouldn't wish that kind of relationship on anyone. The only way to deal with someone who has low empathy is to try to match them in that regard. I know this is online and no harm is coming of defending Flavus Aquila, but I'm also quite sure that if he really is a sociopath that none of us are hurting his feelings. He will be just fine no matter what any of us say or don't say.

@ Flavus Aquila I don't dislike you (despite that I disagree a lot with you) and I'm glad that you have religion to help you. I happen to know first hand that people who can identify as sociopaths can act decently and do the right thing when they truly believe that it is the right thing to do, but I don't think that they can love as in the Christian agape love. I think most people can't do that (not just sociopaths), and empathy is a big part of it so I can't see how it would be possible for someone with low natural empathy to even begin to understand what that kind of love is. However, you may have a more cerebral idea of God and if it brings you meaning and discipline to your life then good for you.

I wish you well, but I don't think you need to be protected from people judging you for your identification as a sociopath.
I don't expect reciprocity... And I'm not a fool who is so easily taken advantage of.

I stand by what I said. There is a difference between being wary and judging someone. I'm not a religious person (your self-righteous post is just one example of why I choose to stay away from religion) but it seems cruel to me to tell someone they are devoid of god. I don't care what you are capable of feeling. It doesn't make you God's mouth piece.

I don't expect reciprocity... And I'm not a fool who is so easily taken advantage of.

I stand by what I said. There is a difference between being wary and judging someone. I'm not a religious person (your self-righteous post is just one example of why I choose to stay away from religion) but it seems cruel to me to tell someone they are devoid of god. I don't care what you are capable of feeling. It doesn't make you God's mouth piece.

I have abandoned religion so you read religious zeal that wasn't there. I simply stated that I understand why Just Me would see it that way.

P. S. - not that I think you care at all what I think of you, lol, you just have a thread on a topic that is close to my heart and I had to exercise my right to free speech :D
I know that I cannot reciprocate in the same manner, when someone is emotionally nice to me.

That doesn't nullify the goodness and generosity of what they do. I recognise what they're doing and reciprocate in my own way.

I think you're deluded and self righteous if you think people are incapable of being generous: that they will get bummed if they put out good emotions and don't get something back. That model is called Machiavellianism... I think people who try to peddle it are putrid.

If someone gives me an e-hug I don't think of it as nothing much, because I know people well enough to know this is something special to them. In reply, I'll give what is valuable to me: a thought out, relevant, and hopefully interesting reply. (Or just amusing in some way).

I've known @acd for years and she knows my bs through and through. I don't think there are unrealistic expectations of reciprocal transactions, on the contrary there's always something fun, despite the fact that I always get my butt kicked in the end.

So @La Sagna , no your post doesn't affect me, it repels me with its shallowness and towering delusion.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit

I know that I cannot reciprocate in the same manner, when someone is emotionally nice to me.

That doesn't nullify the goodness and generosity of what they do. I recognise what they're doing and reciprocate in my own way.

I think you're deluded and self righteous if you think people are incapable of being generous: that they will get bummed if they put out good emotions and don't get something back. That model is called Machiavellianism... I think people who try to peddle it are putrid.

If someone gives me an e-hug I don't think of it as nothing much, because I know people well enough to know this is something special to them. In reply, I'll give what is valuable to me: a thought out, relevant, and hopefully interesting reply. (Or just amusing in some way).

I've known @acd for years and she knows my bs through and through. I don't think there are unrealistic expectations of reciprocal transactions, on the contrary there's always something fun, despite the fact that I always get my butt kicked in the end.

So @La Sagna , no your post doesn't affect me, it repels me with its shallowness and towering delusion.

Of course it does :). I wrote it as an exercise to release some of the things that were going through my head as I read your thread. That felt good. Thanks. The funny thing is that if you are really as you say then I probably understand you better than most...and I may be using this as a way of working out some of the stuff that still lingers from sharing my life so long with someone with low empathy. I do like your forthrightness on here, I just don't think you need defending from anyone...and I am glad that I repel you...since repelling sociopaths has been part of my new life plan :D

Reactions: Littlelissa
Of course it does :). I wrote it as an exercise to release some of the things that were going through my head as I read your thread. That felt good. Thanks. The funny thing is that if you are really as you say then I probably understand you better than most...and I may be using this as a way of working out some of the stuff that still lingers from sharing my life so long with someone with low empathy. I do like your forthrightness on here, I just don't think you need defending from anyone...and I am glad that I repel you...since repelling sociopaths has been part of my new life plan :D
I think I might have just had a moment of genuine empathy:
Your poor husband.

Reactions: La Sagna
Reactions: Littlelissa
@ Flavus Aquila I don't dislike you (despite that I disagree a lot with you) and I'm glad that you have religion to help you. I happen to know first hand that people who can identify as sociopaths can act decently and do the right thing when they truly believe that it is the right thing to do, but I don't think that they can love as in the Christian agape love. I think most people can't do that (not just sociopaths), and empathy is a big part of it so I can't see how it would be possible for someone with low natural empathy to even begin to understand what that kind of love is.

More true understanding is lacking in this world.

I think I will place this right here. It is for my Christian friends or anyone that feels entitled to claim they know just what God is capable of and who can or cannot know Him.

Romans 10:13
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I think I will place this right here. It is for my Christian friends or anyone that feels entitled to claim they know just what God is capable of and who can or cannot know Him.

Romans 10:13
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Lol, I totally PM'd this video to a certain someone a few days ago.

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
morans.jpg

I don't care if she spelled it correctly. This is immediately what I thought.

I recant. This really did offend me. I played it off b/c I thought having been acquainted with each other for years on this forum, you would have more tact. I see you don't. Just because my views are obviously different from yours, you resort to childish memes to put me down. In a way it did, b/c I expected more out of you. Just know ... you're blocked from now on. Have a nice life ACD.

Reactions: CindyLou