What's your favourite band, and why? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What's your favourite band, and why?

Well Zak Abel has a few decent songs, but I know him from his collabs with someone I actually think you should check out. Tom Misch

Her voice is amazing, it just keeps getting better.

Can I say Beethoven?

Yeah she has a good voice. Lol Beethoven is not a band, but is quite good. See the London Philharmonic Orchestra would be an example of a band I guess, well in terms of classic music. :hmmm:

Reactions: Wyote
OMG, so many things a band can't be!

Hm you're right, but isn't a band about a group of people coming together to perform music. I mean Miley Cyrus has a band but they're like in the background, guitar players and all that, whereas with Little Mix, the girls are what make up the band. And with OneRepublic, they're featured everywhere including the music videos, it's not all about Ryan Tedder, every member is important and is the core of the band.

Reactions: Wyote
Miley's a band cause she unites musicians and a musical team with her. Her music isn't possible without them.

Beethoven's a band cause he deliberately composes for a human musicianship, his band is all the musicians who play with him.

Is Dave Matthews Band a band? Of course it is! Similarly, I can meaningfully interpret Miley and Beethoven as bands.

What is poetry? Definitions in art are rarely hard and fast.

Hm you're right, but isn't a band about a group of people coming together to perform music. I mean Miley Cyrus has a band but they're like in the background, guitar players and all that, whereas with Little Mix, the girls are what make up the band. And with OneRepublic, they're featured everywhere including the music videos, it's not all about Ryan Tedder, every member is important and is the core of the band.

They're not in the background, they're integrated. They're part of the music. The 4 girls are just the image, not the band. It's the same with Tedder and his band, it's just presented differently.

Reactions: Free and Wyote
They're not in the background, they're integrated. They're part of the music. The 4 girls are just the image, not the band. It's the same with Tedder and his band, it's just presented differently.

Hm I see what you mean, I guess I will start looking at bands in a different way. But I still think Miley Cyrus is just a one woman show.

It's hard to just choose one out of hundreds of "bands" I adore.. the most influential few to me personally: probably Skinny Puppy, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Hammock, Pink Floyd, Front Line Assembly, The Human Abstract, Darkest Hour, Bowie, LP, Emika, and Deftones (was difficult to narrow it down to just those.. don't believe all qualify as bands).

It's hard to just choose one out of hundreds of "bands" I adore.. the most influential few to me personally: probably Skinny Puppy, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Hammock, Pink Floyd, Front Line Assembly, The Human Abstract, Darkest Hour, Bowie, LP, Emika, and Deftones (was difficult to narrow it down to just those.. don't believe all qualify as bands).

Hm interesting, where do you guys find all these bands, I swear I have been living under a rock. I'll check them out, I've heard about Pink Floyd and Bowie. I will listen to them tomorrow, thank you for your contribution.

Yes, I think so. Are you saying people like Beyonce, Britney Spears are all bands?

You can legitimately refer to "The artist Britney Spears" as a singular musician, but actually people rarely talk about Spears in that way... really in terms of what we talk about when we discuss "Britney Spears Music" there is a lot more people involved. The music of Britney Spears simply does not exist without Max Martin.

This makes me think of The Avalanches. They're musicians but their music is a sort of musical collage art. What would you call someone who manipulates shreds of music to make new music? They're not a technician... They're a musician, surely. So there are all these other musicians in the studio with the artist, manipulating the music. They would have maybe historically been called an arranger... but now they're integral to the process of the music performance... because the performance has been sort of partly reconceived as a recorded artefact...

I'm also reminded of when Deadmaus wrote "if i wanna watch real artists perform, id pick the opera before wasting a fucking minute of my life with arcade fire."

Rather than a live ensemble performance. Music has changed a lot since pre-studio-recording days of the chamber ensemble... it has even changed since the days of Nirvana. Of course there are still musical acts of this type, but the boundaries have also become less clear. Would Nirvana's work have been the same without Butch Vig... Pretty uncertain...

I think of the band "Architecture in Helsinki". I saw this band live some years ago, in about 2003 or 2005, can't remember. But there were about 15 band members on stage. Obviously they weren't all part of the band... but yet they were all part of the band... but they weren't all always part of the band... there was some "core" band perhaps, surrounded by a rotating "peripheral" band?

When I hear Miley Cyrus I think, OK Miley is fabulous and everything, but that guitar is NOT her work, it's just too good, I don't know who is responsible for the incredible guitar work, but I know Miley's just not quite that good. But the guitar is indispensable to the music, as indispensable to the music as Dave Grohl's brilliant work on Nirvana. So as much as I admire her, I can't say it's just all about Miley...

I guess when I think about a "band" I think about a coherent ensemble that has membership stability over time, like Radiohead for example. But the more clear you get with your definition, the more exclusive it becomes, the fewer "bands" you can really consider to be "bands"... So many bands seem to have to many fights and the membership changes so much that it seems like there is only a single "core" member, like Hayley Williams and Paramore for example, but it's not "Hayley Williams", it's still "Paramore" the band...

So there is clearly a lot of grey space in there... I just think it's interesting to think about.