What's my Enneagram type? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What's my Enneagram type?

I think perhaps that one of the main things that sets a type 4's "hole" apart from those examples is that a type 4's hole keeps "moving around".

We might think it's one thing ("If only I was smarter/more talented/more resilient/etc.") but even if we tackle that issue and actually become smarter/more talented/more resilient/etc. we still feel defective somehow, and so we think our problem really lies elsewhere ("If only I was better looking/richer/more sophisticated/etc.").

Mind if I ask where/how you found that out (the most reliable study I've seen puts Fours, Ones and Fives as the most common types for INFJs)?

Sure. :)

There are two websites I've found that seem to correlate with one another. One is here: http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/07/myers-briggs-and-enneagram-type.html , and granted it's a blog...so take it with a grain of salt. But she seems to have used the studies of several theorists as well as her own personal study.

The second is the graphic VH often uses. I've visited the website before but for the life of me I can't remember the link. Here's the graphic, though:

I should also preface this to say that while it's common to be an INFJ 6, it's not extremely common.

I got a feeling of 5 and 6. Either 6w5 or 5w6, I would say... but I'm going to ask you;

Why did you do what you do?

Why did I do what when? What is it that I do?
LOL, sorry..well...everything. :p Well, most intentional thing that you do. Why did you do that?

For I kind of not seeing the 'why' within your description...which's one of the more important things to know about Enneagram...but I might have read wrongly >_<

LOL, sorry..well...everything. :p Well, most intentional thing that you do. Why did you do that?

For I kind of not seeing the 'why' within your description...which's one of the more important things to know about Enneagram...but I might have read wrongly >_<

Let me see if I understand this:

Why do I do things, in general?

The reason a person does things, is important in Enneagram?

If that's what you're saying... it probably is.

There are so many reasons. There's curiosity, fear, compassion, sadness, self-indulgence, and frustration. It's very context-dependent. If I could isolate one of those reasons as my core drive, I would be fine.

:m051:
No no no, this is way too confusing a conversation.

Let's try it this way.
When you have to make a big decision, what are your primary concerns?
Do you see a pattern to what you are primarily focused on everyday, motivation-wise?
Do you know what motivates you? If so, what?
When you have lots of freedom, is there a certain direction you take your life?

:m051:
No no no, this is way too confusing a conversation.

Sorry. :(

When you have to make a big decision, what are your primary concerns?
1. Does it get me closer to where I want to be?
2. How uncomfortable will it make me?
3. Is it safe or risky? Is it sustainable? What can be done to minimize risk of failure?

Do you see a pattern to what you are primarily focused on everyday, motivation-wise?
Yes. I mostly find myself motivated by the thought of future plans coming together, eating, and having things to do on the computer.
Do you know what motivates you? If so, what?
Fear, logic, and compassion. Those three forces are always in combat inside me.
When you have lots of freedom, is there a certain direction you take your life?
I haven't had much freedom in my life. But when I have some, I think I go in the direction of trying to connect to people who are more similar to myself. People that share my interests and values.

Reactions: sassafras
Hmm, well this doesn't sound like a type 9 personality.

Also, earlier you said that security wasn't a very big deal for you (at least, not at the level of type 6). You also didn't consider it as one of the ones you were debating amongst, so it's less likely. Then again, a couple of people seemed to be picking up '6 vibes'. A lot of this sounds quite type 6-ish in nature, but could just as easily be type 5 for other reasons, I think.

I'd say take a closer look at type 5 and type 6. I didn't consider type 6 earlier, but now that it's on the table, I'd say type 6. Also, all I'm trying to do with the questions is elicit your basic motivations, but it seemed to have only limited success.

Oh, and did you score high at all on type 6 when testing? Odds are, if it was really low, it's not you. Average, however, isn't that much of a concern considering that type 6's often type as other types.

Sure. :)

There are two websites I've found that seem to correlate with one another. One is here: http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/07/myers-briggs-and-enneagram-type.html , and granted it's a blog...so take it with a grain of salt. But she seems to have used the studies of several theorists as well as her own personal study.

The second is the graphic VH often uses. I've visited the website before but for the life of me I can't remember the link. Here's the graphic, though:

I should also preface this to say that while it's common to be an INFJ 6, it's not extremely common.

Thanks Arbygil, looks like that blog incorporates the Fudjack/Dinkelaker (love those names!) study I usually use. =)

It's funny though, that study reckons type 6 is one of the most common types for INFPs, but on all the MBTI forums I've been to I think I could count on one hand all the type 6 INFPs I've seen. Type 5's seem way more common to me. =/ *shrugs*

Not sure whether those MBTI-Enneagram correlations have taken into account of the number of mistyping. There could be mistypes one way or the other...including people's self-typing on the MBTI boards.

:violin:

Thanks Arbygil, looks like that blog incorporates the Fudjack/Dinkelaker (love those names!) study I usually use. =)

It's funny though, that study reckons type 6 is one of the most common types for INFPs, but on all the MBTI forums I've been to I think I could count on one hand all the type 6 INFPs I've seen. Type 5's seem way more common to me. =/ *shrugs*

You know, it could even be the culture of various boards. Or, as Tulip said below, it could be a case of mistyping oneself. In the end I could see both 6 and 5 for INFP - in fact, you could have the Ennegram mistyped, or the MBTI mistyped. In the end, 6w5 folks are fairly stable folks, but not extremely laid back folks. 6w5 and 5w6 can be really, really close - and it all might come down to whether or not they prefer investigating systems or people. Plus, folks really do have a stigma about Type 6. It seems to be the pariah of the Enneagram, despite it having many positive qualities. Every Ennegram number has positives and negatives.

Not sure whether those MBTI-Enneagram correlations have taken into account of the number of mistyping. There could be mistypes one way or the other...including people's self-typing on the MBTI boards.

Sure. That's probably a given. :)