What sucks about being introverted? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What sucks about being introverted?

People thinking that you are stuck-up just because you don't talk much.\

This stigma followed me until senior year of high school.

This is not true. About half of the population is introverted.

You're not freaking unique.

This is true, but.. I think society does tend to favor extroverts.. but maybe that is just me. It certainly feels as if being quiet is a bad thing a lot of the time, just as this person described:

The only truly bad thing about being introverted is that society thinks you should be more extraverted. I mean, have you ever heard of an extraverted person who is encouraged to be more introverted?

Also, I believe everyone is unique. Maybe that's naive of me, but I think it's that sort of naivete that changes the world. I apologize if I sound brash, haha

Last edited:
Society may lean towards a particular lifestyle*, but there are other options.
Fairness is not a guarantee - use what you're given to make something worth the time you're here.
From American poet Ralph Emerson, "Every wall is a door".

*What would one expect? Extraverts tends to do "more" insofar as activities and social commuting, it follows that social creations reflect them at least a little.*

Being too shy to speak up.
I don't generally speak to people unless I'm spoken to first.

Some people are just both. I try to be friendly with some introverts but they just totally ignore me
:censored:

You want to hear the actual good things about being an introvert? Here:

-You're better listeners. You pay attention to what people say and that makes others feel good. Plus it's a powerful communication skill.
-You know how to keep your mouth shut. I wish I was like this sometimes. Plus, you learn more
-You're more observant of people. I sometimes ignore important signals people send me.
-You have less of a chance of saying something mean or hurtful.
-Introverts sometimes seem to me to be more caring.
-You're better at negotiating. People generally don't like silence but if you do then they'll open up b/c the silence makes them uncomfortable.

You guys are lucky to be introverts! Be grateful for whatcha got! :)

Last edited:
People think if you don't talk much that you're sad or shy or upset about something.

If people think I'm stuck up, they don't say it to my face. When I walk into a room, it's kind of hard not to notice because I have a knack for tripping over things, running into people, and being the awkward person who can't find a seat. However, after awhile, people must forget that I'm there, or maybe I look distracted, but whatever the reason, they end up having these extremely personal conversations, and then only realize I was listening when I interject. Some people get mad when that happens, and then I think, I was only a few feet away from you, it's not like I can just tune it out. Besides, why should I? If people don't want me to be privy to their private life, they should make sure I'm not there.

Sports really does help you get out of your shell. It gets you to open up to people and everybody's happy because endorphins are being released!

Sometimes, as an Extrovert, when I'm talking to an introvert, they don't respond back when I ask a question. Or I might have to ask all the questions to keep a conversation going. This makes me assume that introverst don't want to be near me.

I think people are more interesting then they think they are. Also, when you say "having to lie about not knowing something" what do you mean? You also say that you're so observant that you don't know what to talk about, you can talk about being observant. That's something interesting in my opinion!

I hope this post isn't offensive or anything, this is just my opinion. I'm not hurting anyone, right?

What I was mostly referring to was that socially it comes off as creepy or awkward when you know something about someone that they haven't told you, or you remember something about them that they themselves don't. Also, by "lying" I mean more like "pretending."

When I'm being asked all the questions in a conversation it almost never means I'm not interested, it just means that I'm not really comfortable with that person yet so questions just don't come to me unless I'm thinking of a memorized list of "good questions to ask."

My main frustration that seems to be caused by my introverted tendencies is that I just feel completely incapable of connecting with all these people that I see around me and I want to.

It's the same for me, but sometimes I know that someone is asking a question for the sake of having a conversation, and that he/she doesn't really care what the answer is. Being loud and overly energetic is not the way to attract the introvert either. Maybe you shouldn't start with a personal conversation. Talk about things like books, movies, or the onion.

What I was mostly referring to was that socially it comes off as creepy or awkward when you know something about someone that they haven't told you, or you remember something about them that they themselves don't. Also, by "lying" I mean more like "pretending."

When I'm being asked all the questions in a conversation it almost never means I'm not interested, it just means that I'm not really comfortable with that person yet so questions just don't come to me unless I'm thinking of a memorized list of "good questions to ask."

My main frustration that seems to be caused by my introverted tendencies is that I just feel completely incapable of connecting with all these people that I see around me and I want to.

That sounds pretty cool, actually.

I guess that's sort of true for me too sometimes, but sports really got me to not care and to just ask questions anyway.

I've had that happen to me before, too, when you're left out of a group. Sometimes you just need to open up. It hurts when you get rejected yet it feels great when you're accepted.

Having to ask others for favors, and the amount of effort I have to put in just to do it.

Reactions: Sriracha
If others think I'm being shy or snobby because I am quiet, then that is their problem. I have a problem with people who talk nonsense and nonstop just because it seems they like to hear their own voice.

I relish any chance to be alone, which happens less frequently nowadays. There are times with family and children, that I feel smothered. I need to remember that it's okay to "get away" once in a while. :)

I get looked down upon often. Here or there, once or twice, it's not a problem; I could care less. But when I'm being talked *at* by an extrovert and I'm just trying to absorb what they're saying, they always assume my silence is ignorance or stupidity and then feel the need to sit there and explain, in excruciating detail, the points they just brought up.

Yet, thanks to that damned Fe, I don't just say "I know, get on with it already!" (although I do that with my wife often). So I sit there and listen, while they treat me like an idiot. If it happens often enough, it does start getting to me.

I get looked down upon often. Here or there, once or twice, it's not a problem; I could care less. But when I'm being talked *at* by an extrovert and I'm just trying to absorb what they're saying, they always assume my silence is ignorance or stupidity and then feel the need to sit there and explain, in excruciating detail, the points they just brought up.

Yet, thanks to that damned Fe, I don't just say "I know, get on with it already!" (although I do that with my wife often). So I sit there and listen, while they treat me like an idiot. If it happens often enough, it does start getting to me.

Sometimes people just have the need to repeat things. It's difficult to find a good church where the pastor doesn't stretch into 30 minutes what could be said in 3. If that happens while I'm having a conversation, I zone out, and then my voice sets itself to autopilot so that every so often I say, "yes," "really," or "that's great" without realizing it. I would try to fit in some subtle hints that I was ready for the conversation to end. If the person actually tried to make fun of or belittle me, I would intentionally say something to make him/her uncomfortable.

The only truly bad thing about being introverted is that society thinks you should be more extraverted. I mean, have you ever heard of an extraverted person who is encouraged to be more introverted?

Being too shy to speak up.
I don't generally speak to people unless I'm spoken to first.

Bingo.

Oh I have one.

When people talk over you, too quiet to speak up, things like that. That bothers me to no end

Oh I have one.

When people talk over you, too quiet to speak up, things like that. That bothers me to no end

Everyone says I should speak up, and I try, but I just can't speak that loudly. On one hand, I should speak up, but on the other, people should pay more attention. I know it can be done because even in a noisy environment, I can follow several discussions at once, and if someone's needs or wants weren't being met, I would probably know even if he/she didn't say so.

Nothing, I like it.