What sections do you go to in a bookstore? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What sections do you go to in a bookstore?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks bookstores and libraries are synonymous :D

LOL, certainly not!

In Dublin there's a bookstore called Hodges Figgis that has very comfortable armchairs conveniently located in each corner of the store. They got things right.

I remember picking up Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations for the first time in that bookstore, seven years ago or thereabouts...

:m033: Such a precious memory.

Classical and mythology (Ovid, Homer, Virgil, Euripides, Sophocles, etc, and books about mythology) is my go-to section and the section I'm most likely to buy from. Some translations are better than others. I typically shop in used/antiquarian bookstores, most of which are fading away, so I look for interesting editions online, too. I'm interested in the covers, illustrator, etc.
I do buy a lot of art books, typically sticking to the style or artist that is inspiring me at the moment, or one of my all-time favorites, and often buy books about both art and science (combined).

If I go to a new bookstore things get dicey, especially if I'm feeling that emptiness that comes with wanting to find a fresh, new author or novel to love. When this is what I want I could end up buying anything. I buy books that have been signed by the author a lot and have a nice, but small, collection of signed books. (They're usually the same price as unsigned books when new.)

When I was in art school I took classes on book binding. Heaven! We visited an old school publisher and got to use the book binding equipment and make the marbled end papers. Oh...my...gods! I longed to work there. The place went out of business a few years later, though.

I go to the bargain book section :D. They have really great novels in that section, and you get a good deal. I also like to look at audiobooks, and some of the nonfiction self help/philosophy or history sections. I also occasionally like to look at the art books and materials section. But I don't usually buy because they're expensive. It's hard to find time to enjoy reading right now since I'm supposed to be doing reading other things for class, but I look forward to going to a bookstore over the summer, and just vegging with a good book and a nice cup of flavored coffee at the bookstore cafe. So, yeah, like to bargain shop!

Whatever section has the fewest people and is closest to coffee

Literature, of course.

Though doing so in a bookstore that only sells the latest and greatest titles makes me shake my head. I prefer to go to Powell's and just wander around for a few hours.

What an asshole.

These days I suppose it's comics, maybe non-fiction related to whatever I'm working on.

I float around the stationary bit with all the little weird reading gadgets, then go to the politics section, then the main event - philosophy - then on the way back I'll guiltily browse the franchise fiction and graphic novels.

This. So much this.
I'll usually be found either browsing through the tech and science sections or off in kiddy land.

If I'm buying a book though, it'll be an old classic.

Haha! Yup ^_^

I float around the stationary bit with all the little weird reading gadgets, then go to the politics section, then the main event - philosophy - then on the way back I'll guiltily browse the franchise fiction and graphic novels.

This is also me, only it's more like:
1. Float around oddities
2. Make sarcastic comment while passing politics, onto tech section
3. Get sucked into the philosophical void
4. Give myself happy thoughts with comics after that cognitive massacre
5. Hit up classics, want to buy all the books but have no money so maybe next time

I'll read the classics: Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle, The Illiad, etc.

It's been some time since I went to a bookstore. The last time was with a relative and I had a good time. I miss those days.

I was extremely hopeful that something cool was going to happen that summer. Nothing amazing happened but I got everything done that I set out to get done.

It's good to keep your hopes high.

I'll read the classics: Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle, The Illiad, etc.

It's been some time since I went to a bookstore. The last time was with a relative and I had a good time. I miss those days.

I was extremely hopeful that something cool was going to happen that summer. Nothing amazing happened but I got everything done that I set out to get done.

It's good to keep your hopes high.
Random question but have you ever read gone with the wind?

No, I'm more familiar with the old film. Why read the book?
oh I just thought if you liked those books, you might like gone with the wind :]
it's very long, though.. over a thousand pages, I think. I read it every summer for some reason, haha.

oh I just thought if you liked those books, you might like gone with the wind :]
it's very long, though.. over a thousand pages, I think. I read it every summer for some reason, haha.
Interesting.

I might check it out since it takes place during the civil war.

God bless the Union!