What sections do you go to in a bookstore? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What sections do you go to in a bookstore?

Fiction, Fantasy, Autobiography/Biographies, Hobbies/DIY, and sex books.

I prefer secondhand/antique bookstores:

Philosophy.

And other sections, but looking for philosophical works in: the sciences, military, history, art, religion, etc.

For recreation: fiction.

Psychology, sci-fi, biographies, travel, business, philosophy and in-store coffe shops hehe

art/design, literature, music, comics, history, social issues, and whatever else is on my mind. i like to wander.

Child/Young Adult for publisher research

For my own enjoyment, Spirituality and humor usually. Occasionally I'll wander into the history section.

Nonfiction, always.

I go into reference sections, psychology, history and I will look into the children books for Swedish/Enlglish books which they never have :( and magazines

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
fantasy, fiction, philosophy, psychology, art, graphic novels, then everything else (so I check out everything they have basically, just in a certain order)

Science, marketing, business, investing, sociology, phycology, history, self-help, biography, and "classics".

We don't have a local bookstore, and I have a kindle, so whether paper or e-books we usually buy on Amazon (or other websites.) On the rare occasion we end up at a big book store I like to look at non-fiction...how to books, self help books, cookbooks, crafting books, and reference books. Occasionally a biography or documentary book if I stumble across something I'm interested in. I also like to look at the bargain table and the gimmicky things that are often there. I do have a secret love of (though refuse to spend the cash on) klutz books.

Photography, crafts, fiction, classics, and music. I tend to avoid bookstores for the time being, as I have literally no more room for books. I'm such a book hoarder.

I've been thinking how to expand my reportoire :D, so I would like to find books that are have some themes I like but are a little different, that are engaging. I used to feel guilty for reading just to learn. I use to guilt trip myself to pick up books because they are classics and I should read them, not because they were personally interesting to read. I no longer do that. I don't want to buy something knowing that I'm not going to read it almost immediately. Waste of money to do that. So, I'd rather buy things I'll like read right away. Usually if I buy something and put it aside, there's little chance I'll ever read it.

I'm curious about cultural or psych. pop lit, fiction or nonfiction, with a quirky perspective, witty, a little humor, interesting, eccentric characters, which incorporate a little psychology, philosophy, and societal commentary. For example, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKSG0/?tag=infjs-20 was not bad. Got through half of it. Interesting read.

I only buy 1st edition books at estate sales, online, and local used book stores, I am typically looking for Horror, science fiction and other assorted fiction based on author, book edition, and my personal interests.

My most recent books bought were:

the exorcist and legion (sequel to the exorcist) by William Peter Blatty, both 1st edition/1st print hardbacks.

always fiction.

but i much prefer to be in a library. there's something nice about a new book, but i like being around worn used books most of all. and i like to read the scribble in the margins.

my university library is large and old, and when you walk down the narrow aisles you can really smell that old book smell. i love that.

Reactions: Quiet
The biographies sometimes catch my attention. Female authors especially. Plath, Highsmith, and Oates in particular are interesting to me (though the latter--still alive and writing--isn't the subject of too much published biographical writing). I've studied them the past year. It's just interesting, the turns people take. You have one who essentially felt worthless since the death of her father at age 9 and suffered for it until she ended her own life too soon. Too suddenly. And Highsmith, described by some who knew her as the most hateful person they knew. Others thought that if she hadn't released her dark thoughts through her work she would've just gone out and murdered people. Then there's Oates. Successful at a young age, hard working. Living a life in which she delves into the darkest of human emotions and actions but comes out of it as well as one could hope.

It's not that different from literature, all told. Made-up stories, life stories. They're all there and waiting to be written.

[MENTION=4726]Vict[/MENTION]
biography - yes, kind of like fiction, too. life told through the eyes of the narrator.

Oh, that's a cool thread :)

- Literature (classics)
- Philosophy
- History
- Psychology.

Any of the following may happen:

- Picking up a philosophy book and reading it inside the bookshop for 1h
- Buying a book by Faulkner or Dostoevsky
- Getting a history book on Stalin or some other dictator for my dad
- Stingily rove through the store without buying anything.