What movies influenced your life?

DrShephard

Community Member
Dec 9, 2010
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Playing off of Lucidmoon's post - What movies influenced your life?

I'll start, ranking in ascending order:

darkknight1discr1artpic.jpg

(Were they serious with what happened in the scene with the two boats?)

ihearthuckabees.jpg

magnolia19991.jpg

fightclubg.jpg

american20beauty.jpg

...partially posted because I'm out of good movies to watch

American Psycho

Hannibal collection

Labyrinth

The Never Ending Story

Salo'

rear-window-cover.jpg

86.jpg

2894708.jpg

10-07-the-princess-and-the-warrior.jpg

Reactions: deivejek2|9
I havn't seen many so I will say the 1 that had the biggest emotional impact.

Reactions: bagelriffic
Despite having seen a good deal of "critically acclaimed" movies, I am serious when I say the original Star Wars trilogy greatly influenced my life. I lived, breathed, and dreamed Star Wars as a kid (and I still may...)

Reactions: DevilDoll
I forgot one:

600full-the-motorcycle-diaries-poster.jpg

And then mf made me think of the movies that I lived, breathed, and dreamed -- Lord of the Rings! All three.

Reactions: bamf
I forgot one:

600full-the-motorcycle-diaries-poster.jpg

And then mf made me think of the movies that I lived, breathed, and dreamed -- Lord of the Rings! All three.

Ahh....I remember that film, I loved it so much.

I have it lying around in my room, but I haven't watched it yet.
I guess I will soon.

I guess it's pretty obvious that I would say you should. :)

I guess it's pretty obvious that I would say you should. :)

Yeah.
I was going to ask you: 'Is it worth watching?'
But as I was typing it, I thought: 'What kind of a dumb question is that. Of course it is. Otherwise he/she wouldn't have mentioned it in this thread.'

But I still thought it was worth mentioning that I had it lying in my room ;P

I'm not sure why though.

Chronicles of Narnia (especially the most recent one)
Tuesday's With Morrie
Remember the Titans
Fire Proof
A Walk to Remember
The Last Song
Inception
Spiderman 2+3
Gone with the Wind
Sound of Music

220px-Batteries_not_included._poster.jpg

NeverEndingStory-DVD.jpg

et-1.gif

There are a lot of movies I truly enjoy but I don't know how many of them influenced my life. Here's one that I am sure did.
Secretarymovpost.jpg

I will never forget the first time I saw this movie. It's like the lights came on and I could suddenly see. It's also one of the most romantic movies I have ever seen.

The Hiding Place had a big impact when I saw it even though I am not a Christian but because it demonstrated a true example of grace and faith.

I love to watch movies but can't say many have changed my life. I do have one really weird thing regarding an epiphany I had watching the stupidest movie ever. I don't know the name of it but it had George Straight (I think) in it and it was one of those formulatic boy meets girl kinda movies.

I worked 12 hour shifts at the time and when I got home at around 6:30 am, nothing was ever on TV, I was tired but couldn't just fall asleep, so I would watch some TV to just zone out for awhile. I usually watched infomercials. However, this one morning I turned it on the TV and this George Straight movie was on--I was too lazy to change the channel.

The basic plot was that he was a country singer (go figure) and he fell in love. His manager, a woman, sabotaged his relationship. Then, she comes clean about lying about whatever broke him up with his woman and is crying and carrying on. The guy looks at her and says I forgive you. The manager lady is all amazed and is like why would you do that, I broke you up, you could have lost her forever. The guys says something along the lines that he is always amazed that we will forgive perfect strangers for the things they do to us but will hold the people we love to a much higher, almost unatainable standard. (paraphrasing)

My epiphany was that I was guilty of doing just that--of being much harder and less compassionate with the people I loved then I was of strangers or people I just barely knew. I realized that I needed to be better at demonstrating my love without judgements because it was poisoning the relationships I held dear.

I was just amazed that I had found such a kernel of truth to apply to my own life from such a stupid movie. Natives believe that life teaches you lessons everywhere and it is you who are blind to them until you are ready to see. While things are not secret, many times it is not for you to give the answers you have found until someone knows to ask the question because it shows they are ready to learn.

14.%20Sign%20of%20Zorro.JPG

watership_down.jpg

Holygrailcover.jpg

220px-13thwarriorposter.jpg

Basic-Instinct-B0000JCFPE-L.jpg

"Brother Son, Sister Moon" (1972) This film started the gears turning on a whole life's endeavor.

"Ishi: The Last Yahi" (1992) This documentary film still haunts me to this day.

220px-Blade_Runner_poster.jpg
220px-Duneposter.jpg
220px-E_t_the_extra_terrestrial_ver3.jpg
220px-Final_fantasy_ver1.jpg
220px-The_Secret_of_NIMH.jpg

I also loved TRON, Labyrinth, Neverending Story, Fight Club, Princess + the Warrior, and a few of the other movies mentioned, but I'm not sure they influenced me so much as brought me joy.

Love this thread :m161:

images

images

images

images

images

images