What is your tritype? | Page 13 | INFJ Forum

What is your tritype?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I surprisingly got 512. I've never considered myself as 5. But it's always second highest whenever I take enneagram tests. (I always get 1 as my highest)

This will be added to my list on "what tritype am I"

Initially got:
Now 512

I'm only sure of my enneagram which is 1w2.

I should read my enneagram books. Enough procrastinating. :/
Everyone's a 5. Discard it.

1w2 fosho :D

Sometimes when I'm really healthy, I get a little of the 9-ish zen feeling, but that comes only when I have nothing to enjoy 7-style :tonguewink:

Otherwise, when I do get into 7-mode (and not just for self-deflection), it's my rare best self that loves everything and everyone :innocent::kissingheart:

There’s something about the tritype that makes me uneasy. On the one hand I can understand what it’s getting at. But my gut is muttering down in the depths about excessive multiplication of entities - or something ;)

Can someone direct me to a good tritype test? Usually I don't care for tests - I just read on the theory and conclude for myself. But it could be useful here.

By the looks of it, I identify most with 5 and 3. But I am not the type of person who would collect knowledge for its own sake. Like, I don't browse random articles on wikipedia and I don't consider myself to have a broad knowledge. In fact, I don't respect broad knowledge. I call it "crossword puzzle knowledge": just knowing some random facts about history, geography, biology, humanities...but without any context. It reminds me of my grandma. :grinning:

What I am attracted to is to figure out a "formula for success and happiness". That's what I spend most brain energy on, currently. To construct an accurate map of the world, which will allow me to reach success. Unfortunately, I am not a doer by nature and I can suffer from analysis paralysis. Like, I need to decide whether to stay in my current job and climb the ranks there, whether to continue education or perhaps even pursue my own thing on the side etc. There is a lot to mull over. But I definitely strive to be more successful and rich that I currently am, although it's not so bad at the moment. I do find myself being jealous of people in higher positions - especially because I can easily see myself doing their job. So it is something I strive towards.

However. I think 3 is in a conflict with 9, because I am also a chill person that just wants to relax, talk with my gf, watch something, play board games, be on this forum etc. But I think this tendency is weaker. The 3 in me is definitely stronger.

I am also quite easy to go along with. I am actually very polite. Polite, but perhaps not the easiest to really connect with. I keep my emotional distance. My style is to disagree with almost everyone on the inside, but not showing it on the outside. Except with people I am really close with - there my true nature comes out and I can be quite critical. But at the same time I am also more playful (9).

I really like to educate others and drop "truth bombs", but not many people want to hear it.

I don't know...539 (in this order) seems to fit, but perhaps I am wrong...I did identify with a 4 in the past, but now no. I do not care one bit about being creative, unique etc. Although I like engaging with art, of course.

Last edited:
My current opinion is that MBTI is a better tool in itself, but enneagram is really helpful to explain the differences between people of the same MBTI type.

Because of my 3, I am more focused and pragmatic than most INTPs. I really don't like to invest my brain time into things that will not be helpful in the long term. I am a bit obsessed with efficiency.

People with both 5 and 4 are probably more contemplative (@Ren), because efficiency is not their primary concern. Although my impression could be wrong. I barely read anything on the enneagram.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's a 5w4 somewhere, because you discern between liked and disliked types of knowledge. You prefer expertise over breadth and (imo falsely) equate it to layman knowledge. It is more personalised and narrow.
I quickly skimmed the part on Type 5 as described by Beatrice Chestnut. According to her, the search for security represents dealing with one's early childhood in the manner of a Type 8.

Why do you think you have Type 3 in your tritype? Because of the jealousy? To be honest, I was thinking about Type 8 with that, but I have to admit that I still need to read into quite a few types. Especially since Chestnut has different insights than you usually find online.

I must say I like tritype approach more than the wing approach. Perhaps I am 5w4, but 4 is almost certainly not part of my tritype. And 2 even less.

I do not understand the difference between 3 and 8 well. The way I see it is that 3 correlates more with Te and 8 with Se?

In other words, 8 care for power and forcefulness, while 3 care for efficiency and success. If that's correct, than I identify with 3 much more.

My current opinion is that MBTI is a better tool in itself, but enneagram is really helpful to explain the differences between people of the same MBTI type.

Because of my 3, I am more focused and pragmatic than most INTPs. I really don't like to invest my brain time into things that will not be helpful in the long term. I am a bit obsessed with efficiency.
Yeah, that part still sceams 8 to me. 3 is more vain and success oriented by reforming their self image. It has less to do with the success as such than the wanting and doing whatever it takes to acheive it, no value to emotions and your own personality. Of course, a w4 would be more oriented towards the self and the w2 would be oriented towards others, be it in a positive or negative way.

Yeah, that part still sceams 8 to me. 3 is more vain and success oriented by reforming their self image. It has less to do with the success as such than the wanting and doing whatever it takes to acheive it, no value to emotions and your own personality. Of course, a w4 would be more oriented towards the self and the w2 would be oriented towards others, be it in a positive or negative way.

OK, I will take your word for now. Until I research a bit more for myself. :grinning:

Unfortunately there is not so much material on ennegram on the internet/youtube.

I must say I like tritype approach more than the wing approach. Perhaps I am 5w4, but 4 is almost certainly not part of my tritype. And 2 even less.

I do not understand the difference between 3 and 8 well. The way I see it is that 3 correlates more with Te and 8 with Se?

In other words, 8 care for power and forcefulness, while 3 care for efficiency and success. If that's correct, than I identify with 3 much more.
I do both. You can have 3 types of those three types in your tritype, either you have wings or not. But that's different with each of the three types.

I wouldn't want to conflate MBTI and enneagram. They may overlap, but one is still representative of your way of thinking while the enneagram describes archteypes of coping strategies, neroses and defense mechanisms.

Reactions: philostam
OK, I will take your word for now. Until I research a bit more for myself. :grinning:

Unfortunately there is not so much material on ennegram on the internet/youtube.
Yeah, youtube is very biased and focussed on the individual making those videos.

I can really recommend Beatrice Chestnut. There is some interpretation of her stuff on personalitycafe. And there is also a thread with a summary of all tritypes. That one is very superficial though and doesn't go very much into explaining it.

As I said, I still need to read properly into the topic. Got the book, but only skimmed atm. You're right that 8 is more assertive. But 3 is still more about image, since it focusses on vanity.

So in that case I would be 548, like Ren? :grinning:

I don't think so, 9 has to be part of my tritype. I don't identify with a tortured romantic genius at all. I like to be balanced and have peace of mind. And like I said previously, I almost never get angry or display any sort of aggression, either towards others or towards myself. Well, of course that's not true, everyone is aggressive in some ways. But my way is pretty hidden. Perhaps even trickster persona is a form of aggression, who knows.

My idea of life is quite simple. The more I think about it, the more I see that comfort is my ultimate desire. Simply being happy, content, surrounded with good people that I like and having time for my hobbies. And of course material comfort (money), which is crucial for all that.

So yeah, it is like 9 state is my ultimate goal, but 5 and 3 are the way to achieve it. Although being a 5 gives me pleasure in itself (thinking, learning etc.).

Perhaps I am butchering this too much. :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ren and Ginny
So in that case I would be 548, like Ren? :grinning:

I don't think so, 9 has to be part of my tritype. I don't identify with a tortured romantic genius at all. I like to be balanced and have peace of mind. And like I said previously, I almost never get angry or display any sort of aggression, either towards others or towards myself. Well, of course that's not true, everyone is aggressive in some ways. But my way is pretty hidden. Perhaps even trickster persona is a form of aggression, who knows.

My idea of life is quite simple. The more I think about it, the more I see that comfort is my ultimate desire. Simply being happy, content, surrounded with good people that I like and having time for my hobbies. And of course material comfort (money), which is crucial for all that.

So yeah, it is like 9 state is my ultimate goal, but 5 and 3 are the way to achieve it. Although being a 5 gives me pleasure in itself (thinking, learning etc.).

Perhaps I am butchering this too much. :tearsofjoy:
Lol, definitely not. I'd hate you if you were. At the moment it's more like a mild distaste towards your attitude :)
(don't worry, it's my most frequent stance on people who come across like this)

I'd say that if 9 is the way you want to be, the way you see yourself on the inside (even if you're not quite there yet) then it's the secondary.

5 and 3 are then the surrounding numbers. 3 being more of a coping mechanism or a way to control the relationship between yourself and the world, at least the way I interpret it, therefore I'd put it in third slot. You identify with 5, and you're also not much of a dramatist the way a 3 or 4 would be. Therefore I'd put that in first. But mind you, 5 is a frequent mistype. I got 5 in a test myself, but I'm definitely a type 1 core type.

I wouldn't exclude the wings for a more detailed analysis, but if it's enough for you, you might want to check the description of the 593.

For more details, I already guess towards 5w4 and 9w1 (with your personal preference and focus). Don't know yet about the 3.

Lol, definitely not. I'd hate you if you were. At the moment it's more like a mild distaste towards your attitude :)
(don't worry, it's my most frequent stance on people who come across like this)

I'd say that if 9 is the way you want to be, the way you see yourself on the inside (even if you're not quite there yet) then it's the secondary.

5 and 3 are then the surrounding numbers. 3 being more of a coping mechanism or a way to control the relationship between yourself and the world, at least the way I interpret it, therefore I'd put it in third slot. You identify with 5, and you're also not much of a dramatist the way a 3 or 4 would be. Therefore I'd put that in first. But mind you, 5 is a frequent mistype. I got 5 in a test myself, but I'm definitely a type 1 core type.

I wouldn't exclude the wings for a more detailed analysis, but if it's enough for you, you might want to check the description of the 593.

For more details, I already guess towards 5w4 and 9w1 (with your personal preference and focus). Don't know yet about the 3.

What don't you like about my attitude? :grinning:

Yes, 593 could be one option. Anyway, thanks for your input, I can see you are more versed in this than me.

Well, regarding 3...Perhaps I just want to be one but am actually not.

And yes, I am not a dramatist at all. Sometimes I wish I was a bit more, actually. I forgive and forget too easily.

What don't you like about my attitude? :grinning:

Yes, 593 could be one option. Anyway, thanks for your input, I can see you are more versed in this than me.

Well, regarding 3...Perhaps I just want to be one but am actually not.
Just the initial prejudice towards non-experts. I fancy to have broad knowledge, but I crave expertise in all those topics as well. Knowing that nobody is that perfect, that perfect knowledge is impossible to acheive in a lifetime, I allow imperfection and even value it. Thereby there is residual contempt towards those who claim the arrogance of expertise. Especially when they can still be proven wrong.
To not value someone's knowledge because their knowledge is imperfect is the same as not valuing them as a person, because their knowledge is a part of them.
Besides that, knowledge and intuition often compete, and I value intuition that isn't corrupted by knowledge. It can find flaws in knowledge, sometimes with more ease than a person with knowledge could.

It may be that you didn't mean it as it came across to me, therefore the judgement is just for the time being. Time will tell as I read more from you.

(please, I'm "fun")
giphy.gif