What is wrong with polygamy? | INFJ Forum

What is wrong with polygamy?

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
I always hear the argument, "If we allow the gays to marry then we have to allow polygamists to marry" so does anyone want to explain to me why polygamy is inherently bad? :?

Too much effort.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with polygamy if everyone goes in KNOWING what to expect. Its no different than any other marriage. And the argument that the man must be able to afford the wives is crap ... I know quite a few guys that can't afford one wife and have mananged to get married and stay married.

I can tell you this ... if I was married to someone and he came home one day with a second wife ... I would drug him and then brand my name on his forhead while he slept.

There really is NOTHING wrong with a plural marriage ( I live in Utah i see this every day) The only reason it was ever used was when the state was being settled during the war when women were being widowed left and right men would take more wives to support and keep another family afloat....Now a days it has turned into more of a pedophilia dream, at least from my perspective....The only reason we have left wing radicals saying this is because they want marriage to be described as ONE MAN ONE WOMAN, Here in Utah they have already passed that law ( :roll: ) People here are so afraid of anything immoral or off the wall they do everything to shelter the state try to keep it pure.... For its original intent there is NOTHING wrong with Polygamy but right now....its not needed....So what they are saying is that gay marriage isn't needed??? I don't know...I think its just we have too many homophobes running things!

entyqua said:
There really is NOTHING wrong with a plural marriage ( I live in Utah i see this every day) The only reason it was ever used was when the state was being settled during the war when women were being widowed left and right men would take more wives to support and keep another family afloat....Now a days it has turned into more of a pedophilia dream, at least from my perspective....The only reason we have left wing radicals saying this is because they want marriage to be described as ONE MAN ONE WOMAN, Here in Utah they have already passed that law ( :roll: ) People here are so afraid of anything immoral or off the wall they do everything to shelter the state try to keep it pure.... For its original intent there is NOTHING wrong with Polygamy but right now....its not needed....So what they are saying is that gay marriage isn't needed??? I don't know...I think its just we have too many homophobes running things!

Left wing radicals? Are you sure you have the correct wing?

Satya said:
entyqua said:

Left wing radicals? Are you sure you have the correct wing?
:oops: I was so tired when i wrote this....I have a sinus infection too so i wasnt all there...SORRY :( lol I meant Right

entyqua said:
i wasnt all there
Hope you are feeling better soon. They say the heart or brain are central to good bodily function, but I have to think sinuses are right up there, too!!! :eek: :D

gokartride said:
entyqua said:
i wasnt all there
Hope you are feeling better soon. They say the heart or brain are central to good bodily function, but I have to think sinuses are right up there, too!!! :eek: :D

ROFl Tell me about it! I feel like my brain is on a spit! lol!

There is an imbalance of advantages and disadvantages to each participant. I'd want to be on equal terms with a partner.
But people can do what they want.

Agreed....My motto...To Each his own....

polygamy_2.jpg

CokeNut said:
I can tell you this ... if I was married to someone and he came home one day with a second wife ... I would drug him and then brand my name on his forhead while he slept.
there is the reason you are looking for Satya

CokeNut said:
Personally I don't see anything wrong with polygamy if everyone goes in KNOWING what to expect. Its no different than any other marriage. And the argument that the man must be able to afford the wives is crap ... I know quite a few guys that can't afford one wife and have mananged to get married and stay married.

Tred lightly Jax, I believe this one might carry out the threat :). And in the interests of capitalism, my dear cokenut, I'm willing to sell you the ether, and the tattoo gun.

ShaiGar said:
CokeNut said:

Tred lightly Jax, I believe this one might carry out the threat :). And in the interests of capitalism, my dear cokenut, I'm willing to sell you the ether, and the tattoo gun.

I'll call for pricing if it comes to that ... ;)

Hm...Cokenut sounds just a tad bit possessive.

Satya said:
Hm...Cokenut sounds just a tad bit possessive.

Not possessive ... GREEDY! He's mine all mine!!!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Truly, I don't mind him having his own life and his own friends, in fact one of his best friends is a chick (who he used to have a crush on) and I am not threatened by it nor have I ever told him they can't be friends. I just need to know that I am not only number one, but that there is no number two. i think its a fair demand, don't you?

I think another issue is care of the children of a polygamist family. Not only financial security, but also emotional. Granted, I'm not trying to say that all one man one woman relationships aren't emotionally scarring for children, but you get the problem compounded in a polygamist situation. That and the apparent lack of population control.

Anyone familiar with the phrase 'If Momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy'? Imagine having not only one Momma unhappy, but two or three or more Momma's unhappy. Considnering men have a difficult enough time keeping the one woman in their life content, a man faced with several unhappy women isn't going to sit everyone down and try to iron out the problems, Nooooo....He's going to grab a soda (cause aren't Mormons alcoholess?) and head out the door. So that leaves the kids alone with a bunch of sniping bitchy women. Kids who will at some point or another recieve the brunt of an episode of misdirected angst. Or worse yet, the victim of some petty other Mom-bitch who decided to take her anger out on an innocent child for no other reason than he/she was the progeny of the communal husband and other wife.

From what I've seen on the documentaries, who would want to breed some of those guys anyway...especially if they had any choice at all? Now, someone like Johnny Depp, or Brad Pitt, or Orlando Bloom, or countless other hollywood hotties out there....Yeah! Those are definately genes that should be spread out in the population more!

My biggest issue with polygamy is the sexual bias. If the men can have multiple wives, why the hell can't I have multiple husbands? The amusing cartoon aside, if a gal is smart she can pick and choose wisely who she adds to her harem and use her feminine wiles appropriately to accomplish the Honey's-Do-Lists. Not only that, I've even be willing to let in another woman or two to take care of the tasks I don't care for. I love to cook and will happily clean up afterwards. But I detest doing laundry, and dusting. Love taking care of kids and running around to all kinds of kid things. So, if I could get a woman who doesn't mind doing all the laundry, and another who would prefer to keep her career and act as the figurehead for the house (i.e shes the one going to see the principals and stuff), I'd be more than happy to take care of the communitys kids, provide the food, and do the grocery shopping. And the women could share the men already present, or bring in their own.

Hehe...out comes the rich inner imagination of an INFJ.....

Reactions: Sandie33
Widespread polygamy would mean rich dudes would have all the ladies and average joes would be left with no womens. :cry:

Stone said:
Widespread polygamy would mean rich dudes would have all the ladies and average joes would be left with no womens. :cry:

You can apply for acceptance into my man harem.