[INFJ] - What is the most intoxicating part of being an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] What is the most intoxicating part of being an INFJ?

bodhireagan

Community Member
May 9, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Recently I have spent a lot of time describing the INFJ typology to some close friends and a few random people as well. The thing is that every time I find myself describing it differently. Not distorting the image or description, but giving a different example of what it is like to be an INFJ.

I recently made a post on another site:

"As an INFJ it is hard always wanting to grasp an understanding of the world and all it's complexities because when you find out you will never gain certain understandings it crushes you like nothing else can. You are having your heart's desire ripped away from you and you cannot understand why. You keep digging for an explanation and all you find are further questions to be answered without any idea as to why there is no answer to your original question. You get lost in your head and lost in the motives of the world. You end up withdrawing from everything around you because you can't look at someone without seeing a flaw that you wish they would fix. You become cynical and pessimistic about everything going on around you because you have to have something to hold on to for yourself, so you choose to be the one who does nothing that could hurt anyone. Nothing that could save anyone. You choose to only save yourself and only hurt yourself. That's how I fell into a nasty addiction to psychiatric medications for all sorts of disorders I did not have. I got so tired of having to find an understanding for everything I did. I just wanted to be able to sit quietly in a room and not have anything on my mind. I wanted to be grey, to blend in with everyone else. To not have to worry about what someone really meant when they said things. I wanted a way out and I found it for 8 years. Now, being clean and sober is the only way of life I accept. I know that if I ever relapse I will end up six feet under because I have no will left to be nothing. I have to be something. So I fight for it every day.
As an INFJ, I struggle with things that have no logical explanation or at least some type of understanding as to "why". I don't necessarily want answers, sometimes I just desire another angle to look at a situation or another perspective that I had not considered.
All in all, being an INFJ is intoxicating."

Which led me to creating this thread...
And now I am here to ask you, what is the most intoxicating part about being an INFJ?
It can be a positive or a negative trait or ability.

My answer:
The ability to know someone's emotional state better than they do. The ability to essentially "walk" into their mind and dissect them and who they are without having to ask. I love being able to find out so much about someone without having to ask for permission because I do not like awkward social encounters. The truly intoxicating part is the self control I can either choose to have, or choose to relinquish. In a way I essentially hold the power to either ruin them or save them, humiliate them or love them.

What I do enjoy most about being the type that I am? The ability to very quickly spot and synthesize patterns and abstractions into a comprehensive and holistic unit, and then apply it in the real world.

Obsess over a single miserable dot, and going over and over to it, fooling yourself that this "dot" is not what it seems to be, but something different, something big, interconnection bs, a whole world, but then, you find out that it's only a dot. Well this is probably something that INJs could relate a lot.

I only lately realized that probably in my entire life I heavily relied on my intuition. That probably explains why I'm so poor with details (or I just unconsciously DO NOT care).

I'm certainly not from the main stream, never the main role to build up a team or a structure, but I enjoy being the one standing on the edge of the circle observing until somehow my intuition strikes enabling me to ask the key questions that nobody seems to have noticed. However, this tendency also greatly hinders me from speak freely, as my mind always refuses to go with the simple phenomena but to pursue the very reasons/rationals which founded every single element on the surface. If I can't reach them, I feel extremely difficult to speak, as it would otherwise make myself feel like an idiot.

But this only applies to situations where I'm concentrated and willing to contribute. Otherwise, I speak lots of rubbish most of the time, while making people laugh, which I really should stop doing, as it damages my image...

When I say "intuition" I mean the brain works *autonomously* *without intervention* picking up the useful elements to build up the understanding. It feels like my brain is not under my own authority. (Or it could simply be that I don't have a good enough brain to listen to me?)

Last edited:
Reactions: dudemanbro
Understanding subtle changes in people's mood - this is both a good thing and a bad....I find knowing when people are hurt or upset very weighty and distracting - it eats at me and often consumes me in a social situation.

I also enjoy the immense imagination and living in my head. Sometimes I feel I co-exist in two worlds - my inner world and the outer world. This sometimes means I live two different lives...it's very freeing and yet makes me feel exceptionally unstable and psychologically abnormal.

I also enjoy the immense imagination and living in my head. Sometimes I feel I co-exist in two worlds - my inner world and the outer world. This sometimes means I live two different lives...it's very freeing and yet makes me feel exceptionally unstable and psychologically abnormal.

I once was quite obsessed with "Ally McBeal" for her very weird ways of imagination. So charming and cute - like us, that little bit of constant amusement hidden from the public. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: say what
Perhaps the best and worst part for me is needing to understand everything. This is good because I feel I've learned a lot about myself, but it's bad because during bouts of depression it really messes with my self esteem, because I feel I've figured out I'm actually a worthless piece of garbage.

Indecision and weak will. Also the tendency to get fastly discouraged. Also the lack of action.

Indecision and weak will. Also the tendency to get fastly discouraged. Also the lack of action.

Spot on! Pretty much describes the last week of my life.

It's amazing that an event that occurred for a few seconds can lead to hours, days, and months of obsession in pursuit of a better understanding of the world.

Last edited:
Haha- self pity, grandiosity, the assumption of the correctness of one's intuition. I'm joking....

I like the way I see the world. I like the things I pay attention to, and what I get out of conversations with people. I feel like typically I can have pretty open and frank conversations with people. I enjoy my intimate relationships with those closest to me. I like having perspective. I think time alone gives me pretty great perspective on things.

I love being able to keep a level head and be logical when everyone else is about to panic or when someone is mad. logic is panic's prey

I love being able to keep a level head and be logical when everyone else is about to panic or when someone is mad. logic is panic's prey

Is this an infj trait? It seems like it is not.

For me is knowing that if I don't pay attention I can get too comfortable in my inner world & completely relinquish the outer world.
Also, my constant need to find deeper meaning in every little comment, remark, observation. It is highly unhealthy, but what can I do?
Like my avatar, overthinking my life, the outside world is too darn complex, I feel like I can never fully understanding.
Finally, people. People in general are unpredictable, I can't possibly analyze or study everyone I interact with to be at peace or find ways to efficiently deal with them.

Just knowing. I will know within minutes of meeting someone if we have a future. I know what I need to do to fix a problem. I know where I am going. I just know these things. Confidence has helped me in a lot of situations. For example, a job interview. The Ni makes me confident.

Is this an infj trait? It seems like it is not.

It fits for me as an INFJ with a well developed Ti. I am always calm, especially when others get "loud." While others are all set a flurry, I become quiet and aware of everything.

Meeting ENTJs :m114: