What is the emotion that you understand best? | INFJ Forum

What is the emotion that you understand best?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
Emotions are complex, I concede. But there are ones we are familiar with the most, and by familiar I mean that we understand best. Let it be in ourselves or in others. We recognize it, we understand it, we are familiar with it and it is easy for us the tap into.

What's it for you?

Ooh! interesting.
Projection,
Contemplation...
wait, is that emotions?

A feeling of being lost / wandering around.

Thus, the personal evocation would be 'to wander around, searching.'

All emotion associated with pain. Sadness, anger, frustration, desperation. Because I've felt, and still feel these on such a deep level in most aspects of my life it's easy to recognize the same in others that aren't as open to talking about it as I am.

Reactions: Gaze
I understand pain very well, too, but in my life that is coupled with a great deal of patience. I think this difference allows for a degree of contentment to exist where it might not otherwise.

The drawn-out sigh before one tackles a dragon den's worth in miniscule actions.
Resigned patience?

Aside from that, anything to do with loss (well, it stems from sadness so that too I suppose).

Reactions: Psalm
I'd have to say compassion. I was raised by parents who have taught compassion in their own ways; a father who taught me to be there for others as though you were the one in need, and a mother who taught me to give always, regardless of how much is taken. I am not my parents, but I have grown in this environment such compassion is inseparable from my thoughts and actions, at least on some level.
If I have to tell someone no when they need something, I can't help but feel bad about it, even if the request was ridiculous (I also resent them for imposing something like that on me, then feel bad later for that resentment).

Reactions: Gaze and Kgal
This
contempt , disdain , scorn imply strong feelings of disapproval and aversion toward what seems base, mean, or worthless. contempt is disapproval tinged with disgust. disdain is a feeling that a person or thing is beneath one's dignity and unworthy of one's notice, respect, or concern. scorn denotes open or undisguised contempt often combined with derision.

And anger.

Last edited:
being horny

Reactions: Edith
Love and Sadness.

The one I understand least, both in others and in myself, is Anger. That said, I am coming to understand it within the last couple of years — but for the first 40, I didn’t understand it much at all. I was just afraid of it.

Namaste,
Ian

Anger, because it is so hard to ignore, at least for me that is. Other emotions takes me a long while before I can say what they are. Anger, on the other hand, has a very distinctive sensation on my upper navel area, followed by hundreds of thought forms that I want to do some damage, and no matter what I try, the violent thoughts keep returning back. It only lasts for a short time, though.

When I feel any negative emotion my existence becomes apparent. I reckon contemplation and wander does the same. That's when i feel most alive. For me it's very hard to capture happiness esp. in the moment at least. I guess i'm more aware of negative connotative emotions than positive ones.

melancholy

If I try to understand someone for enough time, I can understand their emotions and where they stem from. I don't have to be familiar with the emotion itself.

But I can't understand when someone expects me to respect their emotions if they haven't divulged what those emotions are. Mind reading is a tricky endeavor.

Frustration. Especially frustration at not being heard.

Actually, scratch that. It's the one I'm most familiar with and know how to deal with, in me and in others, but I still don't understand it.

Last edited:
Joy is the most easy emotion to recognize both with myself and others

I think it is the most extraverted emotion, it stands out like a bright light. And it is the least complex emotion because you don't really need to know where it comes from to understand it or to enjoy it :becky: there is not much soul searching involved :D

:mhula:

Emotions are complex, I concede. But there are ones we are familiar with the most, and by familiar I mean that we understand best. Let it be in ourselves or in others. We recognize it, we understand it, we are familiar with it and it is easy for us the tap into.

What's it for you?

I'm hijacking this topic

It's not really an emotion, or maybe it is: Truthfulness. That is what I recognize best in a person, no matter what type.

I am always razor-sharp, or even laser-sharp at understanding if someone is trying to manipulate me, vs. if they are genuinely interested in being truthful with me.

So, if I could locate what EMOTION that is, it would have to be one or more of the following:

Contentment

whatever the opposite of "ulterior motive" is

and/or:

goodwill ?

Hate.

My intimate understanding of hate comes from experiencing it, and from putting it behind me.

I've taken all my hate and shaped it into mellow bitterness. It's now cold and manageable.

frustration, angst, anguish, desperation.

I recognise them easily in others because I experience them a lot.

Joy is the most easy emotion to recognize both with myself and others

I think it is the most extraverted emotion, it stands out like a bright light. And it is the least complex emotion because you don't really need to know where it comes from to understand it or to enjoy it :becky: there is not much soul searching involved :D

:mhula:
this! real happiness! i love to see people glowing, especially to have been part of the reason they are doing so.