What is it like to be you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is it like to be you?

Lonely often, but becoming less insecure about my shyness over the years. Being a librarian is a good match for me. Although stupid job ads still occasionally say they're looking for extroverts, many of us aren't, and being an introvert is not such a problem as it was when I was growing up. Most librarians are concerned about social justice and so the culture of the place I work is supportive of social activism. The job gives me room to really do at least something about social policy issues, without having to be an extrovert to connect with the people I want to help. It gives me time to think, learn and work alone at my desk, get to know a variety of coworkers, and interact with library users to the extent I'm comfortable, occasionally getting to know a few of them closely. There are boring, frustrating, repetitive parts of the job too. It's better than what I thought I would be able to accomplish when I was younger, if not all that I would have hoped to achieve. I'm satisfied with that when I'm not worrying about the fact that half the population of the world is in desperate poverty... or worrying about getting laid off.

Other than work, personal relationships are not so great now. Anyway, I think I'm becoming more confident about them over the years, too.

Life as me:

My life is very complex and complicated, growing up, I never really ''fitted in'' with the other kids. I have spend most of my years by myself, not a single other soul who understands me, (this has led to some anxiety, depression problems). I can often feel lonely. The weird case of the group, even the most introverted people I know have find their cliche, they have their own small group or 1 person they talk to( I have not). I am very emotional, move to tears easely and cannot tolerate conflict very well. I am a bisexual male, nobody understands me, I'm always misunderstood, people have always picked on me(seen me as weak because of my quiet nature), I have been bullied both physically and verbally throughout my life, perhaps why I may lack self-confidence. People always seen me as something weird, they never approched me or can take advantage of me easely, I have become very avoidant and shy for those reasons. I tend to try to be overcompassionate, to the point that I often forget about myself, despite the fact that I do this, I'm still treated pretty badly. I read books, crosswords searches, homework, and read interesting articles online to keep me from total boredom ( Once in a while I will watch tv..I'm pretty much banned from playing video games xD). I tend to love science, and will oftens pend a whole free day reading articles about subjects regarding it.

What it's like to be me...

hmmm, where to begin. I often feel angry. I often feel broken and hurt and lonely, but I deal with these things by using my emotions to drive me forward so that I can get out and live my life instead of being trapped in my life by them. As quite the extreme introvert, this is doubly harder to do, but as a nearly 40 yr old, the final cap on the frustration pot of being held captive by my shyness over the yrs has simply boiled over and here I am getting on with the extroverted world as best I can.

In love I am staunch and loyal, passionate and relentless in my quest to make my relationship one of kindness and respect, deep, connected and devoted. I tend to fear how he feels because I feel him loving me differently in his own way, but it's not the way that I would like to feel him love me. It is commited and as devoted as my own, just in his way and I find it difficult to manage my control of that, I understand that it is respectful to allow him to be himself and disrespectful to expect him to be the way that isn't natural for him to be. It is the only real issue that I try to control. I do it because I feel afraid. I do it because I crave the connection with him that we share, only I want to orchestrate and manipulate it to go just the way I need it to go so that I can feel secure. I want to do those things but I don't because it's wrong. It has been my problem in every relationship I have ever been in, so I have always avoided my feelings and needs so I didn't have to risk getting hurt, even tho I felt the feelings subconciousely anyways...

As a mother I am quiet and caring of my daughters. It is hard to be the mother of little girls because I know how the world works and I hate the thought of seeing them suffer, but I understand that they will, and I take comfort in the fact that they have me there for them as their mother. Sometimes it hurts me because I am uncomfortable around children as I cannot relate to them to be honest. My oldest daughter is very talkative and is an ENFJ, she will be 12 very early next yr. I find her talkativeness grating on my nerves and I feel very suddenly explosively angry often times with her but I keep it to myself and sometimes just showing her the surface of it when I really can't take it anymore... I feel guilt at the end of every day, and frustration at myself because of it. I wish I was more naturally inclined to enthusiastically join in with ther while she chatters away about whatever under the sun, usually repeating herself over and over and over again... But I know her as a lovely girl. She is like sunshine, always wanting to please people and she does take on other's feelings as her own, and I doubly fear this for her when she picks up on my vibes. But we have great talks. I love to talk to my children, and I do so whenever I can.

Regarding my youngest daughter, it is easy to be myself with her. She is quiet and contained, moody and dramatic sometimes, but always sensitive as only a few who she lets see into her eyes, will be priveleged enough to see. Her voice is lower set and she often has insightful things to say. She talks slowly too, which makes her even cuter to me. To be me in these times, is like feeling the paradox of loving and hating the reality of loving my children as my love for them rips me apart inside.

To be me in my work... I take my job very seriousely, but then again, I take everything too seriousely unfortunately I guess. I take it seriousely that I work with people who r dying, and that sometimes they die while their families and I are with them, and that can be overwealming for some people to deal with but somehow I find it an easy part of the job. I feel used to feeling pain inside, sad to say. To be me is to be strong in the face of little choices and support from the outside world, and still get shit done because it's the right thing to do. I have mastered the art of being detatched when it's necessary in my work and slip into my logical thinking side to get me thru the shift. Then it is gone, just like the previous day and that is ok with me because tomorrow will come whether I feel ready for it to or not.

With my friends (my family of brothers and sisters and an adopted mom), I am different. I am carefree, accepted and understood as being deep and intense as they are like myself. We have fun together, eat, drink and smoke cigars together. We got for walks and motorcyle rides together and we care about life in the big picture sense and I feel supported and safe to actualy sometimes behave like the extroverted life of the party and the funniest person alive!

To be me is to have to wear many hats and need a lot of rest and time alone. To be me is to have to live with a lot of conflict in the dynamics of the situation with my daughter's father and his girlfriend. To be me is to be judged a lot, and hugely misunderstood, and to be honestly too reserved and indiferent at this point to care anymore about it when it comes from certain people whom I dislike. To be me is to be more concerned about how I affect others in my life, and to love them far more than they will be able to fathom And if they could, it would give them a sense of finally being home somewhere where they can truly relax and know that they r safe with me to guard them forever, and that doesn't stop at my children, it extends to others far and beyond.

To be me is to understand people somehow, better than they can understand themselves. To be me is a mix of insecurity and confidence that comes across as gentle, but the shyness shows itself as coldness and indifference. To be me isn't easy. The load that I carry and have always carried responsibility wise hasnt broken my back yet, but at times I fear that one day it will. I hope not tho, as I know I have capacity for great things, and to share with others my strengths in hopes of seeing them develope their own.

Last edited:
Oh nice! I get to rant.

Well what is my life like aye? I put on a front which can be a bit frustrating, actually it is all quiet on the wester front. (front=facade) Right now I spend my times trying not to slip into depression or apathy or both. I spend the other part of my day obsessing over how I turned out this way, afraid, lonely, and confused. I don't like me and I am trying to figure out why, I refuse to be myself so I am trying to figure out how. I also go to classes and try to maintain some semblance of a social life, but that is getting harder and harder.

My average moment of thought is a flurry of images, sounds, hypothetical situations, emotions, conversations and abstractions. I guess the best way I can say it is that I brainstorm 24 hrs a day seven days a week, with no respite. It comes very easily to me but sometimes it gives me a headache. Important in my brainstorming activity is linking one concept to another: forming a whole new concept. I'll see something and it will remind me of something else which is not obviously connected, but leads to insight into whatever I am thinking about.

Yeeah thats Ne I thinkeeeee

I also think everything to death, I can't stop thinking about something till I consider every angle possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Bandit

hmmm, where to begin. I often feel angry. I often feel broken and hurt and lonely, but I deal with these things by using my emotions to drive me forward so that I can get out and live my life instead of being trapped in my life by them. As quite the extreme introvert, this is doubly harder to do, but as a nearly 40 yr old, the final cap on the frustration pot of being held captive by my shyness over the yrs has simply boiled over and here I am getting on with the extroverted world as best I can.

In love I am staunch and loyal, passionate and relentless in my quest to make my relationship one of kindness and respect, deep, connected and devoted. I tend to fear how he feels because I feel him loving me differently in his own way, but it's not the way that I would like to feel him love me. It is commited and as devoted as my own, just in his way and I find it difficult to manage my control of that, I understand that it is respectful to allow him to be himself and disrespectful to expect him to be the way that isn't natural for him to be. It is the only real issue that I try to control. I do it because I feel afraid. I do it because I crave the connection with him that we share, only I want to orchestrate and manipulate it to go just the way I need it to go so that I can feel secure. I want to do those things but I don't because it's wrong. It has been my problem in every relationship I have ever been in, so I have always avoided my feelings and needs so I didn't have to risk getting hurt, even tho I felt the feelings subconciousely anyways...

As a mother I am quiet and caring of my daughters. It is hard to be the mother of little girls because I know how the world works and I hate the thought of seeing them suffer, but I understand that they will, and I take comfort in the fact that they have me there for them as their mother. Sometimes it hurts me because I am uncomfortable around children as I cannot relate to them to be honest. My oldest daughter is very talkative and is an ENFJ, she will be 12 very early next yr. I find her talkativeness grating on my nerves and I feel very suddenly explosively angry often times with her but I keep it to myself and sometimes just showing her the surface of it when I really can't take it anymore... I feel guilt at the end of every day, and frustration at myself because of it. I wish I was more naturally inclined to enthusiastically join in with ther while she chatters away about whatever under the sun, usually repeating herself over and over and over again... But I know her as a lovely girl. She is like sunshine, always wanting to please people and she does take on other's feelings as her own, and I doubly fear this for her when she picks up on my vibes. But we have great talks. I love to talk to my children, and I do so whenever I can.

Regarding my youngest daughter, it is easy to be myself with her. She is quiet and contained, moody and dramatic sometimes, but always sensitive as only a few who she lets see into her eyes, will be priveleged enough to see. Her voice is lower set and she often has insightful things to say. She talks slowly too, which makes her even cuter to me. To be me in these times, is like feeling the paradox of loving and hating the reality of loving my children as my love for them rips me apart inside.

To be me in my work... I take my job very seriousely, but then again, I take everything too seriousely unfortunately I guess. I take it seriousely that I work with people who r dying, and that sometimes they die while their families and I are with them, and that can be overwealming for some people to deal with but somehow I find it an easy part of the job. I feel used to feeling pain inside, sad to say. To be me is to be strong in the face of little choices and support from the outside world, and still get shit done because it's the right thing to do. I have mastered the art of being detatched when it's necessary in my work and slip into my logical thinking side to get me thru the shift. Then it is gone, just like the previous day and that is ok with me because tomorrow will come whether I feel ready for it to or not.

With my friends (my family of brothers and sisters and an adopted mom), I am different. I am carefree, accepted and understood as being deep and intense as they are like myself. We have fun together, eat, drink and smoke cigars together. We got for walks and motorcyle rides together and we care about life in the big picture sense and I feel supported and safe to actualy sometimes behave like the extroverted life of the party and the funniest person alive!

To be me is to have to wear many hats and need a lot of rest and time alone. To be me is to have to live with a lot of conflict in the dynamics of the situation with my daughter's father and his girlfriend. To be me is to be judged a lot, and hugely misunderstood, and to be honestly too reserved and indiferent at this point to care anymore about it when it comes from certain people whom I dislike. To be me is to be more concerned about how I affect others in my life, and to love them far more than they will be able to fathom And if they could, it would give them a sense of finally being home somewhere where they can truly relax and know that they r safe with me to guard them forever, and that doesn't stop at my children, it extends to others far and beyond.

To be me is to understand people somehow, better than they can understand themselves. To be me is a mix of insecurity and confidence that comes across as gentle, but the shyness shows itself as coldness and indifference. To be me isn't easy. The load that I carry and have always carried responsibility wise hasnt broken my back yet, but at times I fear that one day it will. I hope not tho, as I know I have capacity for great things, and to share with others my strengths in hopes of seeing them develope their own.

Wow, Maria! Just wow. There cannot be a more brutally honest person on this forum. To be you is .........so very complicated, like all our lives are. But you express it so wonderfully, thank you!

Life as me:

My life is very complex and complicated, growing up, I never really ''fitted in'' with the other kids. I have spend most of my years by myself, not a single other soul who understands me, (this has led to some anxiety, depression problems). I can often feel lonely. The weird case of the group, even the most introverted people I know have find their cliche, they have their own small group or 1 person they talk to( I have not). I am very emotional, move to tears easely and cannot tolerate conflict very well. I am a bisexual male, nobody understands me, I'm always misunderstood, people have always picked on me(seen me as weak because of my quiet nature), I have been bullied both physically and verbally throughout my life, perhaps why I may lack self-confidence. People always seen me as something weird, they never approched me or can take advantage of me easely, I have become very avoidant and shy for those reasons. I tend to try to be overcompassionate, to the point that I often forget about myself, despite the fact that I do this, I'm still treated pretty badly. I read books, crosswords searches, homework, and read interesting articles online to keep me from total boredom ( Once in a while I will watch tv..I'm pretty much banned from playing video games xD). I tend to love science, and will oftens pend a whole free day reading articles about subjects regarding it.

I admire you for knowing you are bisexual at your age. I am sorry you get bullied. I'm glad you know it's bullying, which I guess means you know people shouldn't be doing it to you. When I was your age, no one called it bullying. (I'm 37.) Things got light years better for me the year I got out of high school. Then I didn't have any reason to be around the kids who had whatever problems they had that caused them to harass me. I hope it gets better for you sooner than that though. It sounds like you have a lot going for you, with liking to read science and knowing yourself pretty well.

Hmmmmm.....

What can I say about my life?

These sort of topics are terrible for the ENTP we tend to go over board. :md:
What does it feel like to walk in my shoes?

I feel like my life is like one big complex puzzle. It's very confusing, but I can make basic sense of it.

I didn't start talking until I was about four years old. At the time my parents were Reformed christians. They would often beat me with a wooden stick made from pine.

As a child I have never really fitted in as such. Other kids would bully me and call me a freak and a retard. I was chased up trees, had rocks thrown at me, spat on and sworn at. The worst memory I have of school was when the other kids tried to shove my head down the toilet. I still am a little uneasy around toilets today.

I was never afraid to talk back to my teachers. My teachers would often shout at me, call me a retard and tell me that I would never amount up to anything. I was often placed in the handicapped/disabled room. This hurt me as a child, I often hid up trees and refused to come down. I knew I was smarter than the teachers. This only got me into more trouble.

I often found myself protecting my younger brother (who has a low functioning form of autism) from bullies (they would often throw shoes at him in the playground). During this time I was only eight years old. Most kids feared me.

After the death of my youngest sister I feel very depressed. I was nine years old. It shook my family apart. I gave up at school. I spent most of my time either drawing or reading in the library (where I knew no one would hurt me) I would often cry and hide in the bushes. My mother pulled me out of school and homeschooled me. My mother would try to teach me but me and her would argue allot. Shes an ENFJ by the way. In the end she gave up and I taught myself. I spent most of my teens isolated.

I tried to commit sucicide at the age of thirteen by stabbing myself in the throat with a rusty knife on the beach. Thankfully someone saw what I was about to do and stopped me. Its not often I like to talk about that day. I usually have dreams about that place.

I began engaging in martial arts when I was fifteen years old.

Before the death of my sister I was figure skating and playing netball.

I was very close to my uncle. He would often pick me up from my house and take me to his farm. We would do things that my father didn't have time to do, like take me to the beach, eat ice-cream and go to the park. It devarstated me when he passed away, I was sixteen at the time.

I was bullied allot at my martial arts club (I was doing ITF Taekwon-do at the time) they would bully me by the fact I was depressed and on medication. They would often call me punching bag. I gave up after the death of my uncle. I would let people win and knock me out. It felt good. For a split second I felt free. I left when I was seventeen. I had injuried my right knee and required surgery. My mother didn't so much for me. She only cared about how much it was going to cost her and my father.

Even though I come from a large family of ten siblings I still felt alone. I'm not angry at my parents. I'm only angry at myself.

At the moment I am studying for my diploma in visual arts. I still live with my parents and I am seeing a psychologist (my mother doesn't know about this). But once again I am battling with depression and I have failed school, but I am learning. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

There have been some good things that have happened in my life too.

I have gone back to studying martial arts (I am now doing IOGKF Karate)
I am starting to get along with my mother and I am learning about myself everyday.

Aye, I was bullied too.

Once, at every school I went to. After that everyone tends to be afraid of me.

Just wanted to say thanks for writing this stuff you said about your relationship. It's helpful for me to think about. It seems there are never easy answers.

I'm pretty much no different than anyone else in the world. I'm just a human being.

I feel like my body is a container whose sole purpose is to suppress and modulate a powerful bomb from destroying me.

Oh... and lonely.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.....

What can I say about my life?

These sort of topics are terrible for the ENTP we tend to go over board. :md:
What does it feel like to walk in my shoes?

I feel like my life is like one big complex puzzle. It's very confusing, but I can make basic sense of it.

I didn't start talking until I was about four years old. At the time my parents were Reformed christians. They would often beat me with a wooden stick made from pine.

As a child I have never really fitted in as such. Other kids would bully me and call me a freak and a retard. I was chased up trees, had rocks thrown at me, spat on and sworn at. The worst memory I have of school was when the other kids tried to shove my head down the toilet. I still am a little uneasy around toilets today.

I was never afraid to talk back to my teachers. My teachers would often shout at me, call me a retard and tell me that I would never amount up to anything. I was often placed in the handicapped/disabled room. This hurt me as a child, I often hid up trees and refused to come down. I knew I was smarter than the teachers. This only got me into more trouble.

I often found myself protecting my younger brother (who has a low functioning form of autism) from bullies (they would often throw shoes at him in the playground). During this time I was only eight years old. Most kids feared me.

After the death of my youngest sister I feel very depressed. I was nine years old. It shook my family apart. I gave up at school. I spent most of my time either drawing or reading in the library (where I knew no one would hurt me) I would often cry and hide in the bushes. My mother pulled me out of school and homeschooled me. My mother would try to teach me but me and her would argue allot. Shes an ENFJ by the way. In the end she gave up and I taught myself. I spent most of my teens isolated.

I tried to commit sucicide at the age of thirteen by stabbing myself in the throat with a rusty knife on the beach. Thankfully someone saw what I was about to do and stopped me. Its not often I like to talk about that day. I usually have dreams about that place.

I began engaging in martial arts when I was fifteen years old.

Before the death of my sister I was figure skating and playing netball.

I was very close to my uncle. He would often pick me up from my house and take me to his farm. We would do things that my father didn't have time to do, like take me to the beach, eat ice-cream and go to the park. It devarstated me when he passed away, I was sixteen at the time.

I was bullied allot at my martial arts club (I was doing ITF Taekwon-do at the time) they would bully me by the fact I was depressed and on medication. They would often call me punching bag. I gave up after the death of my uncle. I would let people win and knock me out. It felt good. For a split second I felt free. I left when I was seventeen. I had injuried my right knee and required surgery. My mother didn't so much for me. She only cared about how much it was going to cost her and my father.

Even though I come from a large family of ten siblings I still felt alone. I'm not angry at my parents. I'm only angry at myself.

At the moment I am studying for my diploma in visual arts. I still live with my parents and I am seeing a psychologist (my mother doesn't know about this). But once again I am battling with depression and I have failed school, but I am learning. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

There have been some good things that have happened in my life too.

I have gone back to studying martial arts (I am now doing IOGKF Karate)
I am starting to get along with my mother and I am learning about myself everyday.

*Hugs* Hotkebab

..What is it like being me?

You wouldn't want to know.
I'm actually still figuring out the last bits of myself.