Votes: 4 14.3%
  • SF

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • NT

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • NF

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
First, why would Te be about facts, and not S?

...because Carl Jung said so in Psychological Types.

According to Jung, Extraverted Thinking is all about one's thinking being directed by objective data, external facts, and generally accepted ideas.

Second, why should Si care about tradition. If S really is about facts and I really is about introversion, then it follows that Si is more about internal/known facts than about tradition. There is no reason to think that Si users will not want to explore the world to gather more 'known facts'

Now it seems that you're suggesting that the direction of Sensing affects the direction of Thinking, but they are completely independent.

Sensing types are not about thinking about facts but responding to objective stimuli (according to CJ, again). The Extraverted Sensing type is directed by the intensity of the stimulus, but the Intraverted type is driven be the subjective constituent of that stimulus, which in my experience with Si types manifests as routine or tradition.

In general, if we disagree with the definition of the atomic functions, we're going to disagree with Musk's type.

I had to share my INTJ friend's response when I asked him. It is so funny.
I didn't bother asking my INTJ SO because the question would just annoy him.
View attachment 44936

I get the sense that Elon speaks this way amongst friends, and he tends to say similar things in a more subtle subdued way in public which definitely supports him being INTJ. Probably my thought of him being an extrovert is more just him being particularly charismatic and well practiced at public engagements.

I get the sense that Elon speaks this way amongst friends, and he tends to say similar things in a more subtle subdued way in public which definitely supports him being INTJ. Probably my thought of him being an extrovert is more just him being particularly charismatic and well practiced at public engagements.

In public or interviews I view him as humble yet aloof.

Reactions: Wyote
I could see that

Hard to know where the joke ends and the truth begins
giphy.gif

...because Carl Jung said so in Psychological Types.

According to Jung, Extraverted Thinking is all about one's thinking being directed by objective data, external facts, and generally accepted ideas.

Now it seems that you're suggesting that the direction of Sensing affects the direction of Thinking, but they are completely independent.

Sensing types are not about thinking about facts but responding to objective stimuli (according to CJ, again). The Extraverted Sensing type is directed by the intensity of the stimulus, but the Intraverted type is driven be the subjective constituent of that stimulus, which in my experience with Si types manifests as routine or tradition.

In general, if we disagree with the definition of the atomic functions, we're going to disagree with Musk's type.

Ok, this is getting interesting. I hope you don't mind me continuing; I'm an ENTP! :)

Ok lets take Jungs definitions. There are a few problems with it. First, inductive reasoning is impossible. We discover knowledge through creative conjecture and criticism, not extrapolation. Second, by objective data and external facts, I think Jung meant something like "facts that accepted by everyone else". But this is highly problematic. Facts are facts regardless of whether anyone agrees on what they are. It seems almost like Jung is confusing 'facts' for 'consensus'.

Heres an extract explaining extraverted senseing "Like extraverted thinking, Se concerns itself with the facts; however, this is not for sake of logical fulfillment or completion, but for sake of receiving the highest physiological pleasure as possible." But this too is problematic. Logic has nothing to do with facts. Some facts -- aka theories -- can be operated on logically. But non-theoretical facts cannot. Sensory facts cannot be operated on logically. And those are the kinds of facts I was talking about when describing Elon Musk.

Reactions: noisebloom
Ok, this is getting interesting. I hope you don't mind me continuing; I'm an ENTP! :)

That's interesting; I got more of an ENTP vibe from your posts in this thread, but your profile states that your MBTI is INTP...?

First, inductive reasoning is impossible.

I'm not sure how you can boldly say such a thing. Inductive reasoning (while criticized for not being solely of merit) is generally accepted as a method of arguing a premise. If you really do believe in your statement, I would definitely say that you take an odd stance, if I'm understanding what you are asserting correctly.

Second, by objective data and external facts, I think Jung meant something like "facts that accepted by everyone else". But this is highly problematic. Facts are facts regardless of whether anyone agrees on what they are. It seems almost like Jung is confusing 'facts' for 'consensus'.

I actually don't think he meant that. If you read through his section about Extraverted Thinking in Psychological Types, I believe he talks about objective data and facts that are accepted by others: anything that is external to the self that drives a premise to a conclusion. Most of the dichotomies are general enough that it's just a matter of inward vs. outward perception, behavior, etc. I agree that facts and consensus are two very different things, and that is precisely why I struggle with Te types (and if you have a large enough sample of personal experiences with Te types, I don't doubt you'd see the trend as well). There are far too many things beyond the realm of being provable, so strong Te types tend to lean on consensus, whether that be a general societal consensus or a smaller, more qualified consensus (depending on context).

Heres an extract explaining extraverted senseing "Like extraverted thinking, Se concerns itself with the facts; however, this is not for sake of logical fulfillment or completion, but for sake of receiving the highest physiological pleasure as possible." But this too is problematic. Logic has nothing to do with facts. Some facts -- aka theories -- can be operated on logically. But non-theoretical facts cannot. Sensory facts cannot be operated on logically. And those are the kinds of facts I was talking about when describing Elon Musk.

I see what you are saying now, but I still think he leans on objective data in his way of thinking rather than subjective reasoning, and he doesn't live in the data like Se types I know.

From what I've observed of Intuitives and Sensors:

Intuitives tend to absorb external physical stimuli and immediately utilize it in an inward/convergent or outward/divergent manner. They live in their heads and are "idea" people.

Sensors stay with the external physical stimuli, which is difficult for me to explain or even understand as I'm not personally familiar with it, but I observe that this happens. Much like your excerpt states, they stay with the details, but not for any sort of logical or ideological closure. So in this sense, if you consider this physical stimuli to be the "facts", then yes, Se is concerned with "facts", but my suspicions are that Musk focuses on these to convey his ideas more easily to the majority, i.e. Sensors, especially given that he wants to be an effective entrepreneur and champion of his visions.

Reactions: JennyDaniella

Ok lets take Jungs definitions. There are a few problems with it. First, inductive reasoning is impossible. We discover knowledge through creative conjecture and criticism, not extrapolation. Second, by objective data and external facts, I think Jung meant something like "facts that accepted by everyone else". But this is highly problematic. Facts are facts regardless of whether anyone agrees on what they are. It seems almost like Jung is confusing 'facts' for 'consensus'.

Stop being a troll

Reactions: noisebloom
I have watched many of Elon Musk's interviews. I find his thought process fascinating. He seems like a heavy Te user, with relatively well-developed Fi as well. He also seems like an obvious introvert by his body language, the time he takes to think before he speaks, etc.

This leaves ISTJ and INTJ. But here's the thing: Musk's way of thinking seems so unbelievably Ni-driven that I can't see him being an Si-dom at all. I haven't analysed it in detail, I can just feel it. The way he sees and explains things just radiates Ni to me. When I see him explain something, I almost imitate his facial expressions by reflex, because they are very close to mine, inwardly and outwardly. I'm almost certain he is INTJ.

Agreed. No Si-doms are so bent on building a colony on another planet, while there are so many things yet to explore on the homeland.It's pure Ni. Also, look at the way he runs his company, there's a lack of sensibility and prudence of Si.

His sensitivity doesn't rule him out of being a thinker though, in fact, tertiary Fi or Fe can be surprisingly strong in IxTJ and ExTP. I've witnessed this in those types before.

Maybe the diagnosis is being confused if the guy is showing a very strong Ti/Ni loop - but with tertiary Ni. That would have a bit of an eerie feel to us infjs. It would go with inferior Fe as well, and his feeling behaviour does seem a bit odd to me in his interviews and some of his interventions in the cave tragedy in Thailand.

Reactions: Ren
Maybe the diagnosis is being confused if the guy is showing a very strong Ti/Ni loop - but with tertiary Ni. That would have a bit of an eerie feel to us infjs. It would go with inferior Fe as well, and his feeling behaviour does seem a bit odd to me in his interviews and some of his interventions in the cave tragedy in Thailand.

Do you examples in mind that would indicate Ti-domness in Elon? He seems very Te to me.