• Total voters

wolly.green

Permanent Fixture
Jul 20, 2016
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
I think he is an ST. All of those stereotypes about NTJ's have probably confused everyone into thinking that all CEOs are NTJ's. That anyone with a vision HAS to be an NJ. Another thing that might be confusing people is that Elon is well known for talking about AI in the abstract. But, if you look at his interview with Joe Rogan, what does he go on and on about? For a majority of the interivew, is he talking about literal facts, or abstract possibilities. In fact, I dear you to take a tally of all the times he talks about ST literal facts, and all the times he talks about NT abstract possibilities. I think you will see that he leans heavily on ST literal facts. Then do the same thing with other interviews! He leans on ST literal facts consistently, over and over and over again.

He seems like an ST to me, but an ESTX, not introverted. That said, I haven't studied him as a person.

I have watched many of Elon Musk's interviews. I find his thought process fascinating. He seems like a heavy Te user, with relatively well-developed Fi as well. He also seems like an obvious introvert by his body language, the time he takes to think before he speaks, etc.

This leaves ISTJ and INTJ. But here's the thing: Musk's way of thinking seems so unbelievably Ni-driven that I can't see him being an Si-dom at all. I haven't analysed it in detail, I can just feel it. The way he sees and explains things just radiates Ni to me. When I see him explain something, I almost imitate his facial expressions by reflex, because they are very close to mine, inwardly and outwardly. I'm almost certain he is INTJ.

Elon Musk actually has a fascinating thought process for starting his businesses, one which I read in an interview about BMIs. Building a business is actually the last step in his thought process, he starts with imagining how to revolutionize humanity. Here's an example for the way he designed Neuralink, the company creating BMIs: Change humanity by eliminating language > mass implementation of BMIs > boom in industry, having multiple companies create BMIs > create a revolutionary device (BMI) > Create a sustainable business model to allow research into the BMI. The device is still in early development, but there are two distinct prototypes they're looking at. The first is a nanoscale net that can be injected into the skull and would essentially wrap itself around the brain. The second is a silicon chip that behaves a lot like a band-aid that can simply be placed onto the brain. The device would then start analyzing all the different trains of neurons and establish a meaning or function for each one. In this instance, you are right it would probably utilize AI. Elon Musk is actually creating this product to create an alternative path for humanity because he's afraid of the creation of an AI which could destroy humanity. Essentially his argument is "We could buff up the AI or we could use them to improve ourselves." Due to this factor, I'm assuming the BMI wouldn't be capable of developing consciousness. It could, however, be weaponized in some way. This is the factor which scared me the most, because Musk's response to this question was (summarizing): The internet brought forth great innovation, but it was also used by terrorists. If you had the chance, would you give up the internet? There will always be ways something can be used maliciously, but this doesn't mean people should avoid progress.

Last edited:
Musk is clearly an INTJ. He's not process driven (xSTJ), he's future(big huge idea) driven (NTJ). He's also an obvious Fi-user, manifesting most clearly in that peculiar defensive stubbornness that IxTJs are known for when an aspect of their dominant function is attacked.

Easy, recent examples:

- The business with the kids trapped in that cave in Thailand. Musk was quick to put forth a completely off-the-wall idea (modifying some of his existing tech to create a personal submarine) which pretty much everyone laughed and/or scoffed at. Then when his Big Idea (Ni) was criticized and dismissed, he lashed out in the most stereotypically INTJ manner possible ("that guy is a pedo, wait and see"). ISTJs are cautious by nature. An ISTJ would never, and I do mean NEVER, make this kind of public accusation without clear and direct supporting evidence (something beyond, guy has lived in Thailand for years and his girlfriend is 20 years younger than him).

- Musk's ridiculous tweet about taking Tesla private and "already having financing" (a calculated near-lie). This was classic INTJ trial-and-error experimentation. His only possible purpose for doing this was to gauge the reaction of the investing public to this possibility. He ignored the potential SEC ramifications because his Ni correctly told him the controversy would blow over soon enough. Good heavens, an ISTJ would sooner swallow bleach than make a SNAFU of this magnitude.

Last edited:

NO U :tongueout:

I work in the US Corporate World, so I work and interact with xSTJs every single day. The common denominator these people have is to do everything by the book, and rely heavily on past experience and precedent. Elon Musk doesn't do anything by the book and makes it his life's work to transform existing precedent. The quote Ren noted above is very telling - he starts with huge, revolutionary ideas and assumes that his conclusions are workable before even thinking about how they will practically get done. "Starting at the end" and filling in the details later is anathema to an Si-user's process.

I could sort of buy xSTP if he were a Ti user, which he certainly doesn't seem to be.

The quote Ren noted above is very telling - he starts with huge, revolutionary ideas and assumes that his conclusions are workable before even thinking about how they will practically get done. "Starting at the end" and filling in the details later is anathema to an Si-user's process.

Yeah, Ni begins by seeing the distant point on the horizon and then proceeds to build the network of pathways to get there. Musk really strikes me as that kind of person. He's very big picture driven. And the way his different projects are all linked by his Ni, too, is very telling. It all makes sense together to him.

I could sort of buy xSTP if he were a Ti user, which he certainly doesn't seem to be.

Yeah, Musk doesn't seem to have much time for Ti use. He even seems frustrated by it in others sometimes.

He strikes me as an extrovert, just one very consumed by his own mind. I'd guess entj. Though it's hard to really gauge his Si, I think it could be quite high as he always seems to be internalizing a lot. I could also see estj with social problems.

Last edited:
The way he sees and explains things just radiates Ni to me. When I see him explain something, I almost imitate his facial expressions by reflex, because they are very close to mine, inwardly and outwardly. I'm almost certain he is INTJ.

A close person who is a Ni dom (according to me) has also told me how much he relates to Musk's way of speaking and articulating.

A close person who is a Ni dom (according to me) has also told me how much he relates to Musk's way of speaking and articulating.

Wow, that's really fascinating. :) The video that really made me feel that way was that one:

I dunno, he just seems very INTJ. His Te strikes me as too strong to be INFJ, though again I deeply relate to (what I think is) his Ni.

His Te strikes me as too strong to be INFJ, though again I deeply relate to (what I think is) his Ni.

Yea I totally agree

Also, I just want to take a moment to point out that this interviewer is literally Thomas Middleditch and it's adorable
mqdefault.jpg

I'm actually taking some time to watch some interviews and study him, but I already have a list of reasons he is not an INTJ and sites are assuming he is an INTJ because his public persona is that of a 'mastermind'. I just can't spend my entire day researching a man I personally don't care about in the least. (Though, I do appreciate his work, excluding that stupid car in space.)

I'm actually taking some time to watch some interviews and study him, but I already have a list of reasons he is not an INTJ and sites are assuming he is an INTJ because his public persona is that of a 'mastermind'. I just can't spend my entire day researching a man I personally don't care about in the least. (Though, I do appreciate his work, excluding that stupid car in space.)

I saw something a few months back (I believe it was on Reddit) from an INTJ who swore up and down that Musk could only be an INTP, including a long list of supposed reasons. :tongueclosed:

I appreciate his ideas, but he appears clueless about the best way to run a high-caliber business (in fairness, 99% of people are). He is convinced that the enormous potential of his ideas will be enough for his business ventures to succeed. I hope he's right, but eventually people are going to get tired of investing in possibilities.

Yes, he's the prime beneficiary of the market capitalization of his businesses. Whoopty doo.

My point is that if his Tesla and SpaceX stuff doesn't start producing the world changing applications he's promising, investors will jump ship. Right this minute, investors are betting that his big ideas will do exactly that - change the world. They are betting that his companies will be the next Amazon and Google. It literally cannot be anything else because oh my fucking god these financial statements.