What is Beauty? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What is Beauty?

Lol I'm going with the meme. His obsession is awesome

I think he’s fucken adorable

Heck yeah! Outside the tough and strong demeanor is a sweetheart underneath. It's nice to see people like him show this certain side.

His love for pigeons is the funniest, yet cutest sweetest thing.

eeeeks! Doesn't beauty get defined by our concept of what beauty is?

Skip the fads and the trends... they don't tell anything as those are often a result of what has been lost in translation,(or something that Kylie Jenner has done.. *cough* lips *cough* vacuum *cough*).
The only thing that tells you is the presentation of it.
For example, lets look at fashion trends. Initially they are just creative expressions. Such creative expressions that are presented in a way that we cannot seem to avoid it. Those creative expressions turn into phases.. or, trends. Even fads.
You really can not go ahead in haute couture without touching some nerves of 'wtf', 'wow', 'thats crazy', 'yup that's happening' (e.g. McQueen, Nr.13).
It's much more about the expression, feeling, than the clothes. Or well, the clothes are meant to capture the story behind it.

e.g. John Calliano (was the creative director for Dior, and Givenchy) he's brilliant in storytelling and honestly.. would you wear this? This is still deemed beautiful.
_margiela-1.jpg

Maison Margiela Spring summer '17 (Artisanal)

From this^.. they need to translate it into something we can actually wear (or create clothes inspired from this(^ &below)), e.g. (spring summer '17 (Artisanal)):
_MAR0051.jpg

(https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows...maison-martin-margiela/slideshow/collection#1)

Beauty isn't style, it isn't necessarily what pleases our sight. Sure, from a capitalist, or primal perspective it does..
To one, a beauty can be the physical while to another it can be beyond that.

For example.. lets say we meet someone incredibly beautiful, symmetrical, and just.. vavavoom.. but beneath those layers of what we perceive beautiful lays this rotten personality. Is the person still beautiful?
Or, you meet someone 'average' but their demeanour, personality, outlook, priorities &c. causes you to respond in awe. Is that person not beautiful?

For me.. I grew up contemplating on this random saying I once encountered "in the end ..beauty fades..and we grow old". So, honestly.. what does that mean? (other than being absolute bs) does that mean that our appearance and youth correlates with beauty? Well, yes in evolutionary terms it does but still,.. beauty penetrates that facade.

Beauty is how you make someone feel, beauty in witnessing someone grow, beauty is seeing children being nice to each other...etc, beauty lies in flaws of humanity, admitting mistakes, beauty is in expression, beauty is in how humanly perfectly flawed we are.... Mona Lisa isn't symmetrical but still she's deemed very beautiful.. it's that smile.. it's that feeling you get.

There is beauty in everything .. even the ugliest truths or lies. There is a silver lining to it - silver lining that depicts how incredibly human we're, and flawed. But with our flaws come beauty.

Maybe beauty is just a term for 'hope' that has been lost in translation.

Beauty is how you make someone feel, beauty in witnessing someone grow, beauty is seeing children being nice to each other...etc, beauty lies in flaws of humanity, admitting mistakes, beauty is in expression, beauty is in how humanly perfectly flawed we are.... Mona Lisa isn't symmetrical but still she's deemed very beautiful.. it's that smile.. it's that feeling you get.

There is beauty in everything .. even the ugliest truths or lies. There is a silver lining to it - silver lining that depicts how incredibly human we're, and flawed. But with our flaws come beauty.

Absolutely Nuzzles!! :<3yellow: :) It is definitely seeing the beauty in every intricacies of life that is presented to you and that pure feeling that is so human, raw and profound!!

Had a conversation actually with my little cousin a year back and asked me if I thought she was pretty (mind you she is 14 now so it's that teenage phase), so I gave her this long talk regarding beauty. Told her that everyone is beautiful in their own and unique way; and to see that life all around us is filled with beauty. The shape of the flowers, the hard-work that humanity has committed fully to creating roads, signs and buildings just so we can get home to our loved ones or improve humanity in some way shape or form. How beautiful the sky is and the shades of blue and navy. Or the fact there is this mystical and scientific phenomenon that occurs when the moon radiates it's white and calming light and goes through certain phases. There is beauty all around us!

I think looking at beauty in a perspective of all angles rather than the shallow image of one's skin color and eyes is what really defines beauty, it's that one subconscious feeling you get in your soul and heart. That one feeling that is indescribable. :) and even the stories and meaning that goes behind certain concepts of beauty such as love, determination, bravery, and even heartbreak.

Last edited:
Maybe beauty is just a term for 'hope' that has been lost in translation.

Oh wow, I like this.

I thought about contributing to this thread but realised that, despite everything I've thought about in regards to 'beauty' (and @Ren will know about my Roger Scruton phase :wink:), I really didn't have a concrete description and the more I thought about it, the more each thread disappeared into the ether, but maybe you've given us a way forward with a semantic method.

When comparing abstracts, 'hope' is, I think, much more tangible than 'beauty' because it more accurately represents the human emotion it evokes. Now, is the concept of beauty entirely captured by hope? Does one concept nest in the other (is beauty a type of hope, or hope a type of beauty?)? Prima facie, I think there's a strong case to be made for hope encapsulating beauty, since I can't think of an example that falls outside this definition. Even the darkest instances of 'beauty' still somehow relate to this.

In fact, I would challenge anyone in this thread to do it.

Heck yeah! Outside the tough and strong demeanor is a sweetheart underneath. It's nice to see people like him show this certain side.

His love for pigeons is the funniest, yet cutest sweetest thing.

I like gentle pigeon Mike so much better than angry rapist mike

@JennyDaniella Absolutely:<3yellow: You're wonderful, and I hope your cousin has appreciated her own beauty <3

I don't care much for fashion.

Who is that? :hearteyes:
Dis is Aiden Curtis:mclap:

Now, is the concept of beauty entirely captured by hope? Does one concept nest in the other (is beauty a type of hope, or hope a type of beauty?)? .
Maybe beauty is a sub term of 'hope'. I mean,. we can hope for things but the level of beauty in our life might have a say in how much unnerving our hope is?

If beauty was a type of hope then I guess that type would give us optimism and occasional relief/distraction. In a sense that we don't get overwhelmed with the tunnel vision (from focusing on what is 'wrong'/hoping for)?
If hope is type of beauty then I guess beauty shows us the potentials, open ways for us by playing with our minds... Which in turn gives our minds possibilities?
So.. both?
Maybe beauty even shows us how to achieve what we hope for?

No idea.