What is Beauty? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

What is Beauty?

Oh no, I insist. I'm not a big enough boy. U bring her.

Pin, one thing you should know. I am an independent wamen and nobody bosses me around.

U get her lover boi.

Pin, one thing you should know. I am an independent wamen and nobody bosses me around.

U get her.
Pretty please with a cherry on top, Jen-Jen?

I ain't too proud to beg.

giphy.gif

Pretty please with a cherry on top, Jen-Jen?

I ain't too proud to beg.

giphy.gif

Pinny, as your buddy I am doing you a super cereal important favor.

Who knows? We might hit by an asteroid or some plague will happen.

You go get hurrrrrr! Get her before someone will take yo gurl and put a ring on it.

Pinny, as your buddy I am doing you a super cereal important favor.

Who knows? We might hit by an asteroid or some plague will happen.

You go get hurrrrrr! Get her before someone will take yo gurl and put a ring on it.
How can someome so beautiful come from somewhere so backward?

@Deleted member 16771

She's from England, ya'll still believe in monarchy.

How can someome so beautiful come from somewhere so backward?

@Deleted member 16771

She's from England, ya'll still believe in monarchy.

Hey, my boyfriend lives in the U.K. and I’m still willing to work hard for it and go the distance!

And u can too! So go get her! :D

The heart wants what the heart wants. Don’t deny it Pin.

Hey, my boyfriend lives in the U.K. and I’m still willing to work hard for it and go the distance!

And u can too! So go get her! :D
But what if she runs out of tea & crumpets? That's a matter of life and death, like Americans and our cheeseburgers.

Jenny, that's not funny!

I'm concerned for her health.

Haha I’m pretty sure us ‘Muricans have tea... probably not biscuits or crumpets lmfao... but perhaps tea.

She’ll be fine! :sweatsmile:

Edit: and also you’ll be president. You will have the luxury on flying back to the U.K. or getting whatever the hellz you want.

The paradox of the nature of beauty. Just when you think there is something like objective beauty, it ends up collapsing into its own subjectiveness. I think it is ultimately subjective and is a result of our pattern seeking minds combining with our feelings about those patterns. An alien species may have completely different standards of beauty than humans. As humans, It is probably related to our ability to selectively find a mate. It goes beyond mere physical attraction. You may be sexually attracted to many people, but only a few of those you may find truly beautiful. It may also bring social status. If you are a male and partner with a beautiful woman, it may very well affect how the group perceives you and increase your own perceived attractiveness. Since our brains have this innate capability, beauty can be conceived in many other things, such as art, music, general aesthetics. It is just taking our innate tendencies to as far as they can go. Humans......

I will try.

In general, I find most people attractive in their own way, so I have difficulty defining what is and is not 'beautiful' in humans.
People who fit the current trend of beautiful (and by this I mean what a culture finds beautiful during this century/decade) are more desirable in our society because beauty has power, but it doesn't mean they are the only people who are beautiful.

Good health, symmetry, homogeny or contrast (in hair, skin and eyes), vitality, etc, are all typically circumstances that add to a person's beauty. A person at their best in terms of health, mental wellness and life's ups and downs, is more beautiful than the same person at their worst.
We can argue that youth and signs of fertility are beautiful, but this is all intertwined in "good health". Personally, I find these arguments too basic and primitive.

I find potential beautiful: future potential, present potential, and past potential.

Personality, "heart", and intelligence play into beauty. People who are balanced, accomplished, kind, compassionate, talented, intelligent, and have grace, wisdom, etc, are more attractive. Less desirable traits can make people unattractive. For example, a cruel person is unattractive.

We can argue back and forth about the golden ratio in human beauty. Yes, OK, people who fit the ratio are traditionally more beautiful, but there is something fascinating about the people who don't fit, too.

In nature an animal that is healthy and well is more beautiful. We would certainly say a deer in top health is more beautiful than one with a wasting disease, no matter how beautiful the diseased one used to be. This may or may not work for plants. There is something beautiful about a tree that grew twisted and bent, or an old tree that is a bit broken somehow. Why? Because that tree stands apart from other trees, and because humans usually see trees as objects instead of beings. Objects that have a unique shape are more interesting and memorable than homogenous ones.

Outside of the quagmire that is defining human beauty, we can dive into the golden ratio, Fibonacci, and color theory.
Art that follows mathematics is subconsciously more attractive than art that does not. Humans find mathematics beautiful in music, architecture, design, and nature. Yes, even those of us who say we "hate math" subconsciously find math beautiful. However, keep in mind that math is a human language invented to describe nature.

Leonardo da Vinci was an expert at using mathematics in his art, and the Mona Lisa follows mathematic theory. Personally, I'm enthralled by Virgin of the Rocks, not Mona Lisa, but I know why everyone else likes the Mona Lisa. Three factors: Mastery (talent and experience), math, and sfumato. Sfumato is a technique that creates soft transition of colors, like a haze or smoke. It mimics how the human eyes sees (what is beyond the focal plain is softened), makes a more "believable" image and gives an atmospheric effect. Nobody did this better than he.
Caravaggio, in ...hahaha... contrast... is the "father if chiaroscuro". Chiaroscuro is a strong contrast between light and dark. Light is an important factor in beauty.

For color: Analogous, monochromatic, triad, complementary, compound, shades, tints, tones. There are many different color relationships, but settings that follow those relationships are considered more beautiful than those that do not. The biggest exception to these rules that I can currently think of is an "explosion" of a large assortment of colors, such as in a flower garden, confetti, or other collection of dozens of colors.

The color relationships that appeal to us change with age, too. Children prefer bright, adults prefer tones. Tones are deemed more 'sophisticated'.

An interesting factor I learned as a color printer: People with blue and green eyes printed the imagery slightly cooler and people with brown/golden eyes printed slightly warmer. (This was a problem for me because I printed cool and the production manager had brown eyes and preferred images to be slightly warmer. Even half a point warmer looked too warm to me, while she thought my images were too cool.) So, what we find attractive may vary slightly based on our anatomy, at least our eyes.
Women were also generally more successful color printers than men, and the industry of color printing was dominated by women. (Yes, there were talented men, too, but not as many.) In our lab, brown and hazel eyed women were the majority. Professional photographers, museums, galleries, universities, etc, from all over the world used our services and believed we were "the best", so how our production team "saw" beauty mattered.

Light is beautiful. How it shines, is filtered, reflects, creates contrast, haze, creates a glow... etc, etc, etc.
Sunset and sunrise are light and color theory. The sun dominates beauty because it is our life force.
Destruction, devastation, disease, cruelty are not beautiful. If we find beauty in these situations that beauty is hope and potential, something that survived and will thrive again.

Emotion. How an image or song makes us feel is beautiful, even if it makes us sad. Melancholy music is some of the most popular. Anything that helps us feel less alone, more enlightened, opens our minds, touches our emotions, helps us reach intellectual or spiritual depths... is beautiful. Love is beautiful. Compassion, kindness, perseverance, bravery, selflessness.... are all beautiful.

Skill and talent are beautiful. Hours and years of practice and study that show in the final presentation (an object, art, music, food) are beautiful.

Raw nature is beautiful. But, raw nature usually follows some of the relationships and features I've already mentioned.

Fashion is not necessarily about beauty. Style and beauty are different, though the two dance together.
Make-up is usually, but not always, about beauty. Makeup mimics health, creating contrast, and exaggerates features. What is truly sad about this is that make-up has become so synonymous with beauty that the natural face is no longer considered as beautiful. Sure, your girlfriend/wife is beautiful without make-up, but most people will say a woman they see daily who isn't wearing make-up isn't as beautiful as a model or actress. More often than not the model or actress is using makeup, even if it doesn't look it. In cases where she is specifically stating she is bare-faced, in most cases the lighting and camera angle are carefully chosen to be more flattering. So now we are back to the importance of light in beauty. Lighting can make or break a photo or film.

Next, ask an insect what is beautiful. It is something entirely different.

Perhaps, if we take an apophatic approach to beauty, or describe what it is not, we will begin to identify what it is? Or maybe we'll just give up and say it's subjective. I'm ok with that too.

I like the idea of an apophatic approach to defining beauty. And I don't think saying beauty is subjective dispenses one from attempting to define or describe it. That is, even if one experiences beauty subjectively, there must be a structure to that subjective experience, which is (hopefully) shared with the experiences that other people have of beauty, albeit subjective in its content. So the content of the experience might be subjective, but its structure would be 'objective'.

@Ren speaking of beauty, have you ever been to the Pyrenees, and most importantly: are there many Great Pyrenees dogs in France? It's my soul animal! Never owned one, but I fell in love when I was 3-4 years old watching ''Belle et Sebastian' anime cartoon movie. Did you see it? I have to have one, when the time is right.

Yes, I have been to the Pyrenees — just once, actually, when I was younger :) Oh and I didn't know about the Great Pyrenees dogs. They're beautiful!

(And yes, I did watch that movie!)

Slovensky-Cuvac-On-White-01-400x267.jpg

I keep seeing the word 'harmony' come up and I think that's key. There's an underlying system to all things and what we perceive as beauty is that which aligns with these invisible grid lines that we frequently try to map out and proportion with mathematics. What stands out to one person as exceptionally beautiful and to another as simply average relates to where the frequency of our individual psyche components vibrate on this invisible grid line.

Heraclitus-quote-about-harmony-from-On-Nature-1c6834.jpg