What is Beauty? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What is Beauty?

Beauty to me is an enigma that ilcits the most purest, deepest emotional and spiritual response that is unexplainable and universal; yet subjective. It’s one of the most human experiences. It’s all about perception and how one views and connects to the object that one will define as beautiful or average.

To me, I see beauty in the way the sunrise rises exactly at a certain time and point, the flowers bloom and the birds chirp. The process of life in front of me.

It’s a bit difficult to truly define what beauty means to me because it is such a profound and meaningful aspect to me that creates this inner state of absolute appreciation and calmness in a way.

@Ren speaking of beauty, have you ever been to the Pyrenees, and most importantly: are there many Great Pyrenees dogs in France? It's my soul animal! Never owned one, but I fell in love when I was 3-4 years old watching ''Belle et Sebastian' anime cartoon movie. Did you see it? I have to have one, when the time is right.

mqdefault.jpg

This suggests a Platonic position on truth, which I sympathize with, but has its problems.

What about, say, the works of Basquiat? Dissonant/atonal classical music? Would you be willing to infer that those aren't worthy of being called "beautiful"?
Yeah!

I like Basquiat's work but much of it doesn't appear very harmonious. I enjoy his work more for what it means (opposition to racism, classism, and colonialism) than how it looks.

By the way, he had great hair.

Basquiat.jpg

I wonder sometimes if I am shallow.

I'm not though.

giphy.gif

HAHAHAHAHHAHA.... *coughs* no no, of course not.

I’m just teasin’ ya haha

But anyway, I think that beauty is mostly about symmetry and harmony. I'm sure there's a case to be made for this in music as well.

I don't know enough about music to make a solid case but I remember the days when I'd play guitar and how certain notes seemed to work well in scales over others.

That's my shitty interpretation of music theory, anyway.

symmetry and harmony

I agree generally, only to me there seems to be a certain kind of imperfection/magic that comes with a deep sense of beauty. It is these things, but only in contrast to other things and when experienced in the right moment.

Beauty is complex.

I keep seeing the word 'harmony' come up and I think that's key. There's an underlying system to all things and what we perceive as beauty is that which aligns with these invisible grid lines that we frequently try to map out and proportion with mathematics. What stands out to one person as exceptionally beautiful and to another as simply average relates to where the frequency of our individual psyche components vibrate on this invisible grid line.

I agree generally, only to me there seems to be a certain kind of imperfection/magic that comes with a deep sense of beauty. It is these things, but only in contrast to other things and when experienced in the right moment.

Beauty is complex.
I agree with you, nobody makes the hideous reality of death more beautiful than Sufjan. He just breaks me with that little voice of his.

Anyway, I suppose things that aren't beautiful in isolation can be made so with the right contrast. And likewise, the beautiful made revolting.

For example, imagine beautiful examples of humanity like Ariana Grande or Janelle Monae.

Now imagine them in hell!